Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Camera Salesman Encounter

I went off to a camera shop in a neighboring city today in order to buy a Takumar bellows unit I was pretty sure they had. I took my camera bag inside with me so I could try it out.

I asked the salesman to open the case for me and he asked "Nani ni tsukaimasu ka?"...Now, due to the vagaries of the Japanese language that could mean either "What will you use this for?" or "What will you use this on?" I took it for the former and said "for taking macro photos". He rephrased the question and I said, "Oh, on a Pentax."

"You can't use this."

"Oh, really? Is that so?"

He started in on an explanation of how the item was old and uses a screwmount. Meanwhile I reached in my bag and plopped my Spotmatic down in front of him.

"Well, you can use it on that."

"Gonna use it on this, too," I said, putting the K100D next to it.

"You can't use it on that one"

"Look closely." There was a Takumar already mounted on it.

Anyway, after having been done dirty on the Macro-Takumar auction yesterday, I decided that the bellows unit would serve me just as well. It will eliminate the hassle of adding/removing rings, for one thing.

I haven't really had a chance to try it out yet, but it is looking like it will work well with the K20D. Thanks to the damned built-in flash protrusion mounting it requires a bit of patience, but once it is on it seems to be very versatile and sturdy.

07-12-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Hi Mike, congrats on the new purchase. At least you spotted the tight fit before you put the bellows on the body - I was really worried the first time I went to unscrew mine and it took me a while to work out I could use the rear bellows mount locking screw to act as a kind of cclutch wrench - took time as you said to get the thing off.

I now put the shortest extension ring between the bellows and the adaptor ring and that saves a lot of time. Totemo benri desu ne! Yoku ni tsukattekudasi.
07-12-2008, 08:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a few minutes ago I was reflecting on the difference in convenience between the rings and the bellows.....when it dawned on me that, as you pointed out, one of the rings could be used as a shim. Now I feel kind of stupid for sitting there and holding one finger inside the thing while using the other hand to "clutch wrench" it on with the set screw.

I don't know whether it is due to the larger viewfinder, the pentaprism instead of pentamirror, or a brighter focus screen, but I don't seem to get the same severe focus screen blackout with the K20D that I've been used to getting with the K100D.

Can't wait to get out and hunt some bees with it. Funny thing is, I have an irrational loathing of bees. But when I get involved in trying to photograph them busily collecting pollen, I get within inches of them without a care in the world.
07-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I tried a belows a few months ago, and thought it was great Mike.
I would think you will as well.

I also used the extension tube wit it, making it easy to remove.

I don't know how practical it'll be with bees, I had to use a tripod and really fine tune every shot with it.

07-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
Banned

I enjoy my auto bellows M very much, I hope you enjoy your bellows as well.

by the way this: Pronounce it any way you want, but for the love of God it is spelled "A-P-E-R-T-U-R-E" is brilliant.
07-12-2008, 11:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
I now put the shortest extension ring between the bellows and the adaptor ring and that saves a lot of time.
This is what I do as well.
Frank
07-13-2008, 04:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I never thought of using a ring in between. Now that's STUPID. Thanks for the great tip.

07-13-2008, 06:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have to say, though, that a couple of times today the added ring in the rear (about 20mm) pushed the whole setup out farther than I would have liked. Just the compressed bellows in the fully retracted position already adds probably about 20mm, so with a 50mm lens mounted you're damned near at 1:1 before you even start.

I can foresee that there will be times I leave the ring off and just go through the extra hassle of mounting without it. Yet another reason I wish to goodness Pentax would drop built-in flash from its cameras. Mounting on the Spotmatic was a breeze.
07-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Actually, I wish they won't drop built in flash. It comes in handy at times.

But your story about the tight fit of the bellows reminds me of when I was sticking my 1000 mm F10 mirror on my K10D. It was a pretty tight fit...
07-13-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You shouldn't have told him - now that he knows it will work on newer bodies, he'll raise his prices!