Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
For used, I actually prefer right here on our own MarketPlace!
Yes, buying used one has to go where they feel comfortable but if I'm going to pay basically the same money anyway I may as well get a warranty.

04-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #17
mee
Veteran Member

Well I could not continue with the application unless I gave them my driver's license #. No way!!!
Yesterday, I had to provide my drivers license number in order to get a library card.

---------- Post added 04-27-16 at 11:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Absolutely. That's been my experience as well. I've never bought anything used from them that wasn't in better (by their scale) condition than they had advertised it.
A few years back I bought a "used" lens they rated as 9. It was in fact "new old stock". The box was still factory sealed.
I bought a 9 rated DA 50 from them and the lens was slightly bent (which made focusing a challenge - a very stiff focus ring). It is still hit or miss buying used, even with B&H.. but they do have a decent return policy (they took it back and refunded fully without hassle).
04-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't buy gear at Amazon. I buy that at the known stores, Adorama, B&H and previously KEH. Amazon is coffee, creamer and some computer parts because I get them in two days no shipping charges.
04-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MindControl Quote
Yes, buying used one has to go where they feel comfortable but if I'm going to pay basically the same money anyway I may as well get a warranty.
Sorry this thread has turned into buying used, when I simply stated the difference in payment choices between the two places. I've never bought anything used from EBay or Amazon. All my used items came from fellow members right here.

All I bought today was a new ACMAXX LCD protector for my little Q; that incidentally also came from MarketPlace!

Also, I'll add that I do buy new gear either from Adorama or B&H, when they have the item. I've been most pleased with their service. I believe both go above & beyond, to keep their customers satisfied!

Last edited by csa; 04-28-2016 at 07:14 AM.
04-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I've never bought anything used from EBay or Amazon
I guess most thought that is what you meant because that's where a lot of people buy used gear from. The only time I ever used ebay was to buy a phone for my sister.
04-27-2016, 10:24 PM   #21
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do not use eBay or PayPal. Back a few years ago, one of my co-workers was a BIG eBay fan - until he learned that the stuff he was buying had been stolen. I used PayPal once - about 5 years ago (actually used my debit card though the PayPal interface). To this day, as of two days ago, I get PayPal spam stating that my PayPal account "is going to be limited". Well, since never actually setting up an account - it is kind of hard to let them "restrict" my non-existent account. Then again I get similar spam from Apple and I do not own a Apple product and I have never - ever used iTunes. I do have QuickTime loaded, because I have some MOV files that were created during a NG workshop in 2005 (three computers ago).
Ebay is the worlds largest fencing organization and PayPal is the worlds largest money laundering scheme.
04-28-2016, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
To this day, as of two days ago, I get PayPal spam stating that my PayPal account "is going to be limited". Well, since never actually setting up an account - it is kind of hard to let them "restrict" my non-existent account.
Those are "spear phishing" attempts from people pretending to be PayPal. They are trying to steal your financial information. I get them, too - on an email address that has NEVER been associated with my PayPal account - there is no way PayPal could know about that address. Careful examination usually shows the mail was sent from some garbage email address like "paypal123456@textco.com". I used to forward them to PayPal security, but there are just too many to bother these days.

Ebay is the worlds largest fencing organization and PayPal is the worlds largest money laundering scheme.
They are just popular commercial services that are being abused by criminals. Any marketplace is going to have crooks hiding in the crowd. This has been true for thousands of years. Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware!

04-28-2016, 06:51 AM - 1 Like   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I think grouping everyone that sells/buys on EBay into "the worlds largest fencing organization" is quite untrue. As far as PayPal, I've used them for years, and have never had a problem. It's a very easy, safe way for me to do transactions over the 'net. So I guess that makes me part of the "worlds largest money laundering scheme"? roll eyes
04-28-2016, 06:55 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I guess most thought that is what you meant because that's where a lot of people buy used gear from. The only time I ever used ebay was to buy a phone for my sister.
I really didn't think it was necessary to say what I bought, it was meant as a discussion that Amazon does not accept PayPal, not what I purchased.
04-28-2016, 06:58 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

it was meant as a discussion that Amazon does not accept PayPal,
At times, I wished they did.
I really didn't think it was necessary to say what I bought,
No, it wasn't necessary to say what you bought. I was just making a point about most users of ebay.

I've been a PayPal user for years, long before I went to Amazon. In fact, I balked at using Amazon until a moderator on my other forum suggested I give them a try. And since I don't use it on Ebay, I've never had a problem with using PayPal except when I forgot to change which PayPal I wanted to use, my bank, or PayPal credit.
04-28-2016, 07:15 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I guess that makes me part of the "worlds largest money laundering scheme"?
Wait, you aren't? Well, I guess you can forget about that truckload of "slightly used" K-1s. The deal is off!

It's never occurred to me that Amazon doesn't use PayPal, because I have a VISA card that gives cashback as Amazon points with extra points for purchases at Amazon. I probably had that card before I had a PayPal account. I used to use it to buy books, but now it's mostly photo gear. eBay is my go-to for Chinese-made adapters, pouches, etc. - the junk that costs ten times as much for the exact same item at Amazon.
04-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #27
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Wait, you aren't? Well, I guess you can forget about that truckload of "slightly used" K-1s. The deal is off!
Darn!! I guess that means the truckload of money I sent will not be returned?
04-28-2016, 07:20 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

the junk that costs ten times as much for the exact same item at Amazon.
At Amazon, you do have to make sure you know what you're buying before you hit the "Buy now with 1-click" option.
04-28-2016, 07:33 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Darn!! I guess that means the truckload of money I sent will not be returned?
I will have to speak to my "associates". Is it okay if it's already been converted to Uruguayan Pesos?

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
At Amazon, you do have to make sure you know what you're buying before you hit the "Buy now with 1-click" option.
I have never turned on "1-click ordering" for just that reason. The more impediments to impulse-buying, the better!
04-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The more impediments to impulse-buying, the better!
I only do that if I'm in a store, the stuff that sits near the front before the cash register.
Closed Thread