Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2016, 07:48 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EBay vs Amazon

Strange that Amazon doesn't accept PayPal. They've lost me as a customer; went to EBay to make my purchase with PayPal. Very easy, nice transaction!

04-27-2016, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Amazon has their own in house credit program. They probably don't feel like losing 3.5% to ebay for transactions fees.

Ebay owns paypal so paypal is basically eBay's own in house credit.

It's just a shell game of who gets whose money.

I probably spend too much on both sites, honestly.
04-27-2016, 08:35 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting! I didn't know EBay owns PayPal; that makes sense now, why Amazon doesn't accept it.
04-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

eBay *used* to own PayPal.
They either have already spun it off, or are in the process of doing so.

Michael

04-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like Amazon because I can use my Amazon Store card or my bank. And I don't have to worry about my bank account being frozen due to any number of problems using PayPal on ebay.
04-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I like Amazon because I can use my Amazon Store card or my bank. And I don't have to worry about my bank account being frozen due to any number of problems using PayPal on ebay.
Well, I was going to go thru Amazon using a bank account; but got very uncomfortable after giving all the bank info, they then request my driver's license #. I will not put all this info out on the internet. I've never been asked for my driver license # anywhere else!

If by some small chance my bank account would be frozen due to using PayPal, it would be no huge problem, as I have a separate account just for PayPal, and only keep enough in the account to keep it open.
04-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
but got very uncomfortable after giving all the bank info, they then request my driver's license #.
When I joined four years ago they never asked for my driver's license number. Perhaps this is something new. Having said that, had they asked for mine, I probably wouldn't have joined them either.

04-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well I could not continue with the application unless I gave them my driver's license #. No way!!!
04-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's part of the Patriot Act and enhanced anti-money laundering regulations.

Just like transfers between bank accounts are now severely limited, online web stores can be a conduit for money laundering. All bank accounts must now be verified with valid ID.
04-27-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been a little annoyed by that too but I got a PayPal debit card and now I can just use that on Amazon (or where ever).
04-27-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Meanwhile, Amazon Canada (amazon.ca) isn't even aware of the Pentax K-1. If you search for Pentax K-1, the closest hit you get is the K-S1.
04-27-2016, 12:35 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use both but nobody beats Amazon. Lowest prices and free 2 day shipping. Amazon Prime is a bargain at $99. Never had an issue with personal info. Yes it is annoying that they don't accept paypal. As far as buying used on eBay from my experience it's hit or miss. Whenever possible I prefer to buy anything used from B&H , anything they rate an 8 or above is basically Mint and their liberal return policy makes it that much easier. Who else offers returns on used items?
04-27-2016, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MindControl Quote
Amazon Prime is a bargain at $99.
Absolutely.
I prefer to buy anything used from B&H , anything they rate an 8 or above is basically Mint and their liberal return policy makes it that much easier.
That's been my experience as well. I've never bought anything used from them that wasn't in better (by their scale) condition than they had advertised it.
A few years back I bought a "used" lens they rated as 9. It was in fact "new old stock". The box was still factory sealed.
04-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I use both Amazon and eBay (and B&H and Adorama as well). Let's correct some myths first: PayPal allows you to pay however you wish: direct withdrawal from your Bank Account; any credit card; or your PayPal balance. IMHO, if you really want to maximize your buying power, you need both. Too many great bargains to be had with PayPal -- all sorts of sites accept it (other than Amazon). And to be fair, Amazon has offers (even used offers) that cannot be had anywhere else.

So enough with the "my payment mechanism is better than yours" nonsense. I use both. And if you are a critical shopper, you probably should too.

YMMV

Michael
04-27-2016, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Whenever possible I prefer to buy anything used from B&H ,
To clarify, my purchase was not for used goods, rather an item B&H and Adorama don't carry as far as I've seen. For used, I actually prefer right here on our own MarketPlace!
Closed Thread