Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2016, 02:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PF members not responding to PMs - a recent trend?

My annoyance levels are rising. Recently I have had numerous non communicators to PMs where there is clearly a conversation in train. This is not an isolated situation. Is anyone else experiencing this?

04-29-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Can't say that I have

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
My annoyance levels are rising. Recently I have had numerous non communicators to PMs where there is clearly a conversation in train. This is not an isolated situation. Is anyone else experiencing this?
No. Eve members who should be asleep by dint of their location respond quickly.
04-29-2016, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had numerous non communicators to PMs where there is clearly a conversation in train.
All conversations end sometime so eventually, if the conversation is via PM, someone is going to quit responding.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the topic?

04-29-2016, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
All conversations end sometime so eventually, if the conversation is via PM, someone is going to quit responding.
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the topic?
Yes (misunderstanding). To explain, I might receive a PM from someone either in response to something I have for sale, or completely out of the blue for another reason. I respond in a timely manner then never a response, not even a thanks but no thanks/ 'ending' style PM (I am articulate enough to get the subtleties of such conversational transactions). Not the sort of behaviour I expected to experience here. It has been quite noticeable of late and numerous.

It is a frustrating experience and I wanted to air it rather than bottle up and stew

If I am alone then I will crawl back under my rock
04-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes (misunderstanding). To explain, I might receive a PM from someone either in response to something I have for sale, or completely out of the blue for another reason. I respond in a timely manner then never a response, not even a thanks but no thanks/ 'ending' style PM (I am articulate enough to get the subtleties of such conversational transactions). Not the sort of behaviour I expected to experience here. It has been quite noticeable of late and numerous.

It is a frustrating experience and I wanted to air it rather than bottle up and stew

If I am alone then I will crawl back under my rock
Okay, got it; and yes, that would frustrate me too.
04-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not had that problem as of yet. Any PM's with other members are replied on both sides, until whatever the subject is, has been discussed to both our satisfaction. I've found the members responding or initiating PM's have been most cordial.

04-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Not a problem I've experienced,but people seem less polite these days as a generalisation.
04-29-2016, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I've found the members responding or initiating PM's have been most cordial.
It is not as if PF members are not cordial. It just ends without a satisfactory end point. Perhaps I am alone in this experience

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 09:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
but people seem less polite these days as a generalisation
Yes that might be an undercurrent theme orbiting my grievance but I was not going there - kind of a given unfortunately. Anyway, I plod on and perhaps develop a thicker skin.
04-29-2016, 04:50 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is not as if PF members are not cordial. It just ends without a satisfactory end point. Perhaps I am alone in this experience
I really don't know how two different people may arrive at a satisfactory end point, at the same time. Perhaps the other members felt this had been reached. Also, just a thought; have you given them enough time to respond? Different time tables, work, family, etc., may definitely play into not responding in a timely manner.

If I feel something has been left hanging, or unsettled, I wouldn't hesitate PM'ing them to clarify it.
04-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If I feel something has been left hanging, or unsettled, I wouldn't hesitate PM'ing them to clarify it.
Done that and still no response. I think I have left a week or so before starting to ponder.

---------- Post added 04-30-16 at 09:53 AM ----------

I must admit most of the people I have been conversing with have few PF posts under their belts. Perhaps they are vagrants?
04-29-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I really don't know how two different people may arrive at a satisfactory end point, at the same time. Perhaps the other members felt this had been reached. Also, just a thought; have you given them enough time to respond? Different time tables, work, family, etc., may definitely play into not responding in a timely manner.

FWIW, when I sense a PM conversation is complete I Reply 'TYVM' * without quoting the previous messages. Seems to help.

* Thank You Very Much.
04-29-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cool, nice tip. I usually use an emoticon with language that indicates satisfaction.

In airing this experience I reflect on regular comments here re: evilbay (and the raft of dramas that unfold there) and I have to admit I have had far better PM conversations over ebay items than here. Perhaps that experience is adding to my puzzled disposition.
04-29-2016, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I venture to suggest that a PM may be viewed as just that....a message to another.

Messages in the wider sense aren't sent with the expectation of a reply.
They're an alert, a 'heads up', a notice, and if the receiver does want to reply then the messages return can or may become the start of a conversation.

message = one way communication.
conversation = two way communication.
04-29-2016, 05:51 PM   #15
Closed Account

Anyway, I plod on and perhaps develop a thicker skin.

I haven't experienced this either Wild Mark, but some people just have a different attitude to communication I find. Some people are like " You hang up 1st, No, you hang up 1st, NO !! You hang up 1st !! " And others just hang up !!! No need to let it get under your skin mate, at the end of the day, you can only change yourself. Plenty of others here to talk to here.