Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2016, 11:07 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I already have one. I got it a few years ago at Antietam Battlefield. When we were taking family trips some years ago I always got a Golden Eagle pass. It saved me a lot of money, Another way to save money is to get an annual membership in your local museum. There is a membership association that will get you into a ton of museums across the country for free if they are members of it. I always leave money in the donations box, but if you are strapped for cash it is a great deal.

The one thing I want to do but the wife won't let me is to sell the house and get an RV. The savings in property taxes alone would pay for gas for a year. So now I am working on getting her to move to Idaho Falls. This plan got a lot more complicated when one of my sons moved back to NY with his wife and kids. Grandkids are a pretty big trump card.
NY has some pretty stiff property taxes. When my wife retires, we will probably sell and move somewhere else. Our town has some of the lowest taxes in the area but it's still high. The cost of heating the house every winter is a lot too. RV's have their expenses too and when you consider the cost of the RV, maintenance, fuel, campground fees, insurance, etc, they don't always end up being a bargain. The people I bought my house from did that for a couple of years and ended up having to go back to work.

05-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #17
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Stop at the Ranger Station (at any National Park or Monument) if you are 62 or older and buy a Senior Pass for $25. I bought mine at Antietam. This pass will let you into nearly all National Park/Monuments. The fee is for life and can include up to eight people with you. It is a great deal.
05-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Congratulations on your retirement!! I'm 73 and I have retired 3 times, and the last one stuck.👍 Retired from federal govt. (42 years including active duty) on a Friday and started work as a consultant on the following Monday, retired from that after 5 years. Got talked into working as a consultant on a 2 year contract and finally called it quits. However, my wife and I now work 5 days a week (6:30 am - 5:30 pm) providing day care for our 8 month old grandson. Now this has been the best job of my life. 😇 We'll stop this at the end of this year and grandson will attend regular daycare with his 3 year old sister.

Visited Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in August 2013, camping with my son and 7 year old grandson. Had a great time with great weather. We're going camping in Glacier National Park with grandson (10 years old now) this August. My wife doesn't do camping at all.

ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT!!
05-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Congratulations on your retirement!! I'm 73 and I have retired 3 times, and the last one stuck.👍 Retired from federal govt. (42 years including active duty) on a Friday and started work as a consultant on the following Monday, retired from that after 5 years. Got talked into working as a consultant on a 2 year contract and finally called it quits. However, my wife and I now work 5 days a week (6:30 am - 5:30 pm) providing day care for our 8 month old grandson. Now this has been the best job of my life. 😇 We'll stop this at the end of this year and grandson will attend regular daycare with his 3 year old sister.

Visited Yellowstone & Grand Tetons in August 2013, camping with my son and 7 year old grandson. Had a great time with great weather. We're going camping in Glacier National Park with grandson (10 years old now) this August. My wife doesn't do camping at all.

ENJOY YOUR RETIREMENT!!
You will love Glacier NP. We were there in 1991. Camped in Kallispel. It is impossible to take a bad photograph at Glacier NP. It is a spectacular place. And Going to the Sun Highway was an interesting experience for a flat lander like me. Even though Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain NP goes almost twice as high, it was no white knuckle experience for me like Going to the Sun Highway was.

05-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I chose to retired at 50 and ever since live by the motto:

"Three o'clock is either always too late or too early for anything you want to do"

Jean Paul Sartre
05-11-2016, 02:39 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations on your retirement...enjoy!

I retired a few years ago now, and spend my time driving, fishing, walking, camping, painting and taking pics from one end of Australia to the all the others, sometimes with a kayak on the car roof, sometimes not.

Great fun and there's never any excuse for being bored. It's a bit strange at first, tho.

Have a great time.