Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2016, 05:10 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
To any of our members near Fort McMurray Alberta, stay safe. Whole city evacuated.

For those of you who do knot know, the city Fort McMurry in Alberta, Canada is on fire. A wild fire bore down on the town yesterday and I am sure a lot of people lost pretty much everything. Yesterday the entire population of 80,000 was ordered to evacuate without much time to grab anything. Some pretty scary photos being posted in various places on the web. I learned about this last night on another forum.

Hopefully everyone made it out okay. I am not sure if we have any members up there.

Fort McMurray residents flee in the largest fire evacuation in Alberta’s history | Edmonton Journal

05-04-2016, 06:32 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How very tragic! My thoughts are with all those living there, and the fire crews fighting this beast. If any PF members live around there, I hope they see this thread & check in.
05-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just watched a couple of news videos and this is a totally frightening situation. You folks in the area of the fire are in our prayers!
05-04-2016, 06:57 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hometown of St. Louis Blues forward Scottie Upshall, who said he has many family members living there. Blues coach Ken Hitchcock knows about 100 people there including many he has coached in Western Hockey League. .

Team will auction Game-worn gear, playoff pucks and other items to benefit families who've lost virtually everything.

Fans can register for the auction at blues.myab.com using a computer or tablet or text "blues" to 52182 using a mobile device with bidding starting at 10 a.m. CDT Thursday and closing at the end of the second intermission.

05-04-2016, 07:17 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I haven't been to Fort Mac since '91, but the entire city is surrounded by heavy bush, mostly spruce. Even Highway 63 (the only primary highway in and out of Fort McMurray) is a swath cut through the bush for about 300 kms until you get to a farming area. Having your possessions burnt up is one thing, watching flames shoot up tree boughs as you drive through the heat and smoke has to weigh pretty heavy on one's mind.
05-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When I saw the news of these horrible fires on TV, and only saw a few small helicopters with buckets as the aerial firefighting component, my first thought was: where are all the Canadian water-bombers - the Bombardiers and Canadairs? On lease overseas or something?
05-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

We have watched these fires unfold on the news. Like so many others I wish we could help fight!!!! I would like to think the USA could send some fire fighters to help... I know nothing about fighting a fire like this, I guess we are helpless when in comes to Mother Nature. Our hearts go out to all of those people and of course the animals as well.
May be we can all pray a little.
Theo