Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2008, 03:25 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Happy 14th of July!!!

Happy 14th of July

to all French members of the forum!!!

Hope someone manages to post some images of the festivities...

Cheers,
Michael

07-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

carpediem,

I've got to ask, and I'm sure that I'm not the only person here wondering this..... But.....

What does the 14th of July represent?

Thanks in advance.
07-13-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is France national holiday. Same as 4th July for Americans or 1st of July for Canadians (some Quebecers might disagree on that one).
07-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Veteran Member

otherwise known as Bastille Day. the start of the french revolution and the overthrow of the monarchy

07-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

still the 13th on this side of the world. :-P
07-14-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, others have already answered the question of what this 14th of July is all about...

And my finding it "necessary" to congratulate the French members of the forum on this day stems from me growing up in Paris, France... A country I love infinitely more than my current place of residence... :-(

I just miss the atmosphere of the celebrations; the dancing & the kissing et al...

Cheers,
Michael
07-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The French Tour de France bike racers always go flat out on Bastille day! Fun to watch. Goal is to make it there some day.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #8 in P&S forum. Enter #9. Any type camera except slr. Any brand. Any subject.

07-14-2008, 09:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpediem007 Quote
And my finding it "necessary" to congratulate the French members of the forum on this day stems from me growing up in Paris, France... A country I love infinitely more than my current place of residence... :-(

I just miss the atmosphere of the celebrations; the dancing & the kissing et al...
what's so bad about Cologne? i wouldn't mind visiting there one day.
the Global HQ of one of my old companies was there
07-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
what's so bad about Cologne? i wouldn't mind visiting there one day.
the Global HQ of one of my old companies was there
Cologne is quite O.K.
Lots of culture (museums, galleries, opera houses & theaters...) and a nice multi-cultural population of just under one million inhabitants, close to Belgium and France and (for a German city) lots of "open minded" young people.

Still, it's part of Germany and I just find the French (in general) to be so much more likeable, warm, open, direct, loving, honest etc...

I know, I know... So why are you not living in France???
Well, because, right now, it would be impossible for me to move to Paris for very personal reasons. Reasons I hope will have "gone away" soon. So for the moment I can only dream of "returning home" and visit as often as possible. Another thing I like about Cologne: It's only four hours to Paris by car or train

Cheers,
Michael

PS: Btw, which company would that be? And if you ever do come to Cologne (and I haven't yet moved to France or back to Israel), let me know. I don't mind playing "tourguide" now and then... That holds true for any forum member coming to "Colonia Claudia Ara Agrippinensium"
07-14-2008, 03:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i worked for one of the former divisions of the Gerling Group of Insurance companies
thanks for the hospitality, i'll keep that in mind
07-15-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
Inactive Account

One of the many reasons to admire the French.

OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!!!

I consider Prince Philip's "Do you still throw spears at each other?" to be the "Let them eat cake" of our times. I can only hope the Aborigine that was question was addressed to replied they only throw spears at Britons on Aboriginal land...

That, and without a curious Frenchie with a camera obscure and a slab of pewter coated with bitumen of Judea, this forum wouldn't exist.

Nor would we have retrofocus wide-angle lenses.

And it was a man from Cologne who discovered silver nitrate...a saint, and for me, if we must have saints, the true patron saint of photography.