Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Amazon Blocking Used Item Listings: Nikon, Sony, and Microsoft

Full disclosure: I sell cameras on Amazon and this affects me.

So I tried to list a Nikon film camera on Amazon today. It's been discontinues for a LONG time. Today, literally today, Amazon stopped allowing non-Sony-, non-Nikon-, and apparently non-Microsoft-authorized resellers from listing ANY used product, regardless of whether it's in production. So far, that hasn't happened with Pentax, Minolta, or Canon goods.

Does anyone have any insight into why this happened?

The requirements to become an authorized reseller are ludicrous. You either need to have three (or five, I forget) invoices from the manufacturer or an authorized dealer with a minimum of 30 inventory items of at least five different skus from within the last 90 days OR have a letter from the manufacturer granting you approval to resell their merchandise. The worst part is that there was zero warning about the change.

I'm lucky -- it's not my living, but there are a LOT of sellers on Amazon for whom it IS their living. My big plan is to do this for three years until I can afford to buy a modest house outright, but I know that some resellers are looking at upwards of $40-80K per year in lost net revenue in JUST Sony gear, and for some resellers this is their livelihood.

I can understand limiting used sales of in-production items, but barring individuals from reselling a Nikon FTN with a 50mm f/2 lens is ridiculous.

So, anyway, if you buy used Sony, Nikon, and MS products on Amazon, the existing inventory so far hasn't been removed but at some point the used stock will dwindle. Also, sellers are not able to edit their listings to increase quantities.

05-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be due to Sony, Nikon and MS pressure. As in they presumably have authorised channel partners who they want to help, and perhaps Amazon and them have done some sort of a deal to restrict Amazon to authorised partners only. Amazon may see that as a way of ensuring quality for its customers.
05-13-2016, 04:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They've probably had dodgy resellers giving them a bad name with grey market or potentially stolen goods, which is why they want the receipts etc., but the lack of consultation sucks something awful.

My best good-faith guess is that one or more of these companies got some of their stock stolen recently, they want to shut down resale channels as fast and as best as they can, and Amazon is keen to play ball so that it's not an accessory after the fact. Closing down Amazon as a resale pipeline gives the police more time to catch the thieves and/or their fences with stock in hand.