Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shipping to Australia

I have made numerous enquiries on marketplace items but have found a lot of sellers balking when asked to quote and ship to Australia. But I've not been told the reason why some sellers worry about shipping to Australia, just that "I've had a bad experience before" or "I just don't post overseas".

What's the deal with this? Given I'm happy to pay extra for the postage required, what's the problem people are finding with sending stuff to Australia?

I've purchased numerous camera equipment through B&H and Adorama and have never had a problem with USPS or our local delivery systems. Delivery time usually tops at 4 business days from the US. So what other issues could there be?

07-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I know. There've been a few items up for sale I'd have gladly pay for, but for the "US ONLY" caveats people stick on them. Are we not worthy?

If you're willing to ship to Hawaii, why not Aus? Hawaii's halfway here, anyway.

Granted, there're some items where it's just not worth it - a thirty dollar lens, for example - but an MF camera or Bigma or whatever...eh, why not?
07-15-2008, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've shipped from the US to Australia on several ocassions and I've never had a problem. Australia seems to have a pretty efficient customs process and postal service. Out of the other countries, I would rank them #1 and Canada, #2 in terms of good shipping experiences. Other countries I've shipped to have been OK, but items are more likely to get hung up in Customs, so I'm a little more hesitant to ship to them. Generally, the only items I'll restrict to US only are the extra-cheap items, unless somebody from another country wants an item really badly. In that case, I'll reconsider.

Heather
07-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
More from US sellers about their reasons for not posting abroad...

A seller assumes no cost or inconvenience other than signing a customs declaration to post something overseas. Surely this can't be a reason...

As stated elsewhere, buyers assume all additional costs to postage and customs (if applicable). What else deters US sellers from posting to Australia or anywhere else? Is it the inconvenience of having to go to the post office to get a quote? If so, I'll pick up the tab for fuel costs getting there and back...

Unless there's genuine reasons why sellers can't post abroad, I propose to the moderators that all sellers permit international sale & postage of their gear.

07-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Plus that it is so much easier to sell to Australia since we are often happy with the price offered in the market place.
07-16-2008, 05:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In my limited experience, I've never had a bad experience shipping overseas. Certainly, nothing of the nature Peter Zack relates regarding his experience shipping to Germany. I have had some buyers who have suffered lengthy delays at the hands of various customs departments. (Ash, this has never been an issue to or from Australia but my sample is small.) I have had challenges where Air Mail isn't readily available and/or is obscenely expensive for a particular item. I've also looked into shipping to some countries and discovered that the expectation is that a shipper will visit the local consulate to obtain a permit to ship something. In these latter 2 cases, I decline to ship there. Dave
07-16-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Anybody here from Sydney?

07-16-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by davef Quote
ve also looked into shipping to some countries and discovered that the expectation is that a shipper will visit the local consulate to obtain a permit to ship something. In these latter 2 cases, I decline to ship there. Dave
What countries were these?