Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2016, 03:08 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Amazon Took Down My Review

I wrote a review for the Pentax DFA 24-70 on Amazon. At the time, it was the only review there and there are still only two review of that particular lens. Anyway, Amazon took my review down. I queried them about it and they e mailed me to say that "Our data shows elements of your Amazon account match elements of other Amazon accounts reviewing the same product. In these cases, we remove the review to maintain trust in our customer reviews and avoid any perception of bias."

I have no idea really what that means. The review was pretty similar to the one that I posted here on the Pentax Forum and I suppose someone could have copied it and submitted it as their own. You would think in such a situation you would just keep the first review and dump the second.

Anyway, apparently there is no recourse. I just thought I would whine a little bit here on the Forum about it.

06-06-2016, 03:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon don't know what they are missing. Having seen your photography, I think they should be begging to have your review back.
06-06-2016, 06:31 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Amazon don't know what they are missing. Having seen your photography, I think they should be begging to have your review back.
Thanks. I just thought it was comprehensive than the other ones they have posted which are just statements like "I really like this lens, seems to work well on my K3/K-1)."
06-06-2016, 06:34 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I wrote a review for the Pentax DFA 24-70 on Amazon. At the time, it was the only review there and there are still only two review of that particular lens. Anyway, Amazon took my review down. I queried them about it and they e mailed me to say that "Our data shows elements of your Amazon account match elements of other Amazon accounts reviewing the same product. In these cases, we remove the review to maintain trust in our customer reviews and avoid any perception of bias."

I have no idea really what that means. The review was pretty similar to the one that I posted here on the Pentax Forum and I suppose someone could have copied it and submitted it as their own. You would think in such a situation you would just keep the first review and dump the second.

Anyway, apparently there is no recourse. I just thought I would whine a little bit here on the Forum about it.
Sounds like they are accusing you of posting reviews from multiple accounts?

06-06-2016, 06:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I assume that is because you posted the same review on BH page, not because you posted it here only. I may be wrong on it, but ones I shop at BH, I get similar offers selection from amazon, and even ebay. So, they all collect our searching data, and reviews perhaps.
06-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I assume that is because you posted the same review on BH page, not because you posted it here only. I may be wrong on it, but ones I shop at BH, I get similar offers selection from amazon, and even ebay. So, they all collect our searching data, and reviews perhaps.
Could be. I know Adorama sells through Amazon, but I thought as B and H was a separate seller it wasn't a problem to post to both sites. Maybe somebody else knows if that is the issue...
06-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Many of the reviews on B&H are actually Amazon reviews. Many retailers will link their review database to Amazon's so it appears that they have many reviews on an item. That is why you sometimes see "Verified Purchase" on a review. That means the person reviewing the item actually purchased it on their site. If you left the review on B&H's site first then put it on Amazon, Amazon will take it down since B&H is linked to their review database and it will appear to be a duplicate. I've been with Amazon since it was a little book seller on a HTTP bulletin board site. I rarely leave reviews anymore because their review process now. I still have my Prime account but rare leave reviews anymore which I used to do all the time.

06-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
Many of the reviews on B&H are actually Amazon reviews. Many retailers will link their review database to Amazon's so it appears that they have many reviews on an item. That is why you sometimes see "Verified Purchase" on a review. That means the person reviewing the item actually purchased it on their site. If you left the review on B&H's site first then put it on Amazon, Amazon will take it down since B&H is linked to their review database and it will appear to be a duplicate. I've been with Amazon since it was a little book seller on a HTTP bulletin board site. I rarely leave reviews anymore because their review process now. I still have my Prime account but rare leave reviews anymore which I used to do all the time.
I guess I didn't realize that.

I certainly wasn't trying to be redundant, I was just one of the early users of the lens and wanted to make my observations known. Oh well, as time goes by, there will be more reviews available around the net and folks can find lots of images on Flickr and this website too.
06-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Perhaps someone with the same IP address also has an amazon account and posted a review of the lens, i.e. someone else in your house/area?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: