Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-13-2016, 03:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Calling all computer hardware literates. Help installing SSD

Hi guys, I bought my laptop about 2 years ago and I think it is time I add a solid state drive into one of the spare hard drive compartment. I really need my software to load faster. I was wondering how am I suppose to do it? I have a MSI GT70 2PC Dominator.

Here's what it looks like, the standard 1 terabyte hard drive is on the top left, I am not planning to replace it. However there is another empty slot on the bottom right... This looks like it can only fit a regular hard drive. If so, what can I do? If not, then which SSD would fit in the slot?

My laptop also came with this piece, looks like it belongs in the hard drive bay somehow.

06-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you take a closer picture of any connectors in the slot and measure how big it is?
06-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The drive bay looks like a standard 2.5" SATA drive bay...

RAM & SSD Upgrades | MSI (Micro Star) GT70 2PC Dominator | Crucial.com
06-13-2016, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not only a SSD, but you've got slots for more RAM.

06-13-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The open slot looks like it would take a standard 2.5" SSD. Sometimes the drives are thicker than the slots so you could review your computer's and the drive's specs to confirm but I think SSDs are usually the same or slimmer than most HDs so the odds are good that most 2.5" drives will fit.
I agree you should max out your ram too. Find out the maximum amount and type and put in as much as the thing will take.
I'll often do that by looking at the official upgrades at the laptop manufacturer's site and taking note of the ram specs. Then I find the same spec'd ram for cheaper elsewhere.
06-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Can you take a closer picture of any connectors in the slot and measure how big it is?
Just placed the screws back on. Don't feel like reopening! Also thanks guys! I"m going to upgrade my ram and get a ssd.
06-13-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice laptop!

From the specs it has two 2.5in drive slots (no mSATA). Pretty sure that metal bracket secures the drive in the slot. My wife's laptop has something similar(different brand). Probably lines up with two of the three silver screw holes to the left of the open drive bay.

RAM is ddr3L 1600MHz x 4 slots up to 32GB.

You'll want to check out some videos about installing the ram in the extra slots. It looks like a little more disassembly will be required to get to those open ram slots if you decide to max out to 32 GB.

Not sure of your operating system, but if it's the Home version, and not Pro, memory will be max out at 16GB. Which is a sizeable amount.

06-13-2016, 05:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Nice laptop!

From the specs it has two 2.5in drive slots (no mSATA). Pretty sure that metal bracket secures the drive in the slot. My wife's laptop has something similar(different brand). Probably lines up with two of the three silver screw holes to the left of the open drive bay.

RAM is ddr3L 1600MHz x 4 slots up to 32GB.

You'll want to check out some videos about installing the ram in the extra slots. It looks like a little more disassembly will be required to get to those open ram slots if you decide to max out to 32 GB.

Not sure of your operating system, but if it's the Home version, and not Pro, memory will be max out at 16GB. Which is a sizeable amount.
Yeah I saw that. Do you think 8gb ram that I have right now is enough? I don't feel comfortable taking out the heat sink.

I chose a ssd just now. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16820147372
06-13-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a top notch drive. I run one of those for my OS and software. I liked the 5yr warranty, and the speeds.
A good site for comparisons:

Best SSD 2016 - 134 Charts - UserBenchmark

Are you doing a fresh install on the SSD and using the 1TB as storage?

I run 8GB of ram, and do a lot of 3D cad work on an old old NVidia 240GT (can't decide on what I want to replace it). I may have a model open with 4 robots with tooling , 4-5 conveyors (details down to nuts and bolts), various frames. When I edit pictures, I usually work with one at a time.

You can always go back and add ram if you decide you need more, it's pretty cheap right now. If you take the heatpipes out, keep track of the tiny screws, and take pictures as you go.
06-13-2016, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Hi guys, I bought my laptop about 2 years ago and I think it is time I add a solid state drive into one of the spare hard drive compartment. I really need my software to load faster. I was wondering how am I suppose to do it? I have a MSI GT70 2PC Dominator.
For a noticeable improvement in performance, you're going to have to replace the OS drive IMO. All of the overhead is caused by latency when the hard drive tries to load system files.

Fortunately this is an easy task. Download Maricum Reflect, a free program:
Macrium Reflect Free

Connect your new SSD via USB, then image the primary drive onto the SSD. Once that's done, using Windows, Create a USB recovery drive just in case.

Turn off the computer, then install the SSD where the current hard drive is, and put the hard drive in the second slot (per the specs, the open space is indeed a second SATA slot).

Reboot and your OS and files should all be right where you left them. If the computer fails to boot into Windows, shut down, insert the recovery USB stick (make sure external device booting is enabled in the BIOS), reboot and that should fix up your boot record so you'll be good to go.

That's all it takes and you'll have a lightning-fast system

The only catch is that the SSD has to be the same size as your current HDD, but given today's prices that shouldn't be a big issue. If you want to go for a smaller SSD, my trick will still work as long as its capacity is greater than the current HDD's used space, but imaging will take considerably more time.

Good luck with the process!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch you guys. I never thought I'd ever get this much information.
06-15-2016, 08:11 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Fortunately this is an easy task. Download Maricum Reflect, a free program:
Macrium Reflect Free
I used the AOMEI backupper stantard, does the same thing.
Best Free Backup Software for Windows 10, Windows 8.1/8, Windows 7, Vista, XP
(The guys at work with degrees in computer sciences like it also)
06-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Great choice. I've been doing this for years. Buy a cheap laptop and upgrade to SSD and Max the ram. I'm on a budget. My current is an HP dual core 3i. I have a 256 SSD and 8 gigs of ram.

It is lightning fast particularly for $350 invested. Boots up in maybe 6 seconds. Photoshop and Lightroom in 1.

My slowness is because I use a normal external HD for pics. Even with that though super fast.

You can always go to
Crucial.com - DRAM, solid state drive (SSD) memory upgrades for Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq, Lenovo, Acer, ASUS they have a computer analysis tool. Tells you what will help. I usually get the crucial memory to support that. I think my drive is Samsung. It comes with change over software. Fire and forget.

You will notice a huge difference.
06-20-2016, 03:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Not sure of your operating system, but if it's the Home version, and not Pro, memory will be max out at 16GB.
Looks like the max for Windows 10 Home 64 bit is 128 GB?
06-20-2016, 06:36 AM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Might want to read this info on amount of ram allowed per OS:

Memory limits per OS

Also some manufacture's limit memory amount allowed. No matter what Crucial says.

Last edited by photolady95; 06-20-2016 at 06:44 AM.