Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
No wonder I forgot my password!

I forgot my password for skype this morning (normally it auto logs in) so I went to reset it.
Here are the requirements:
QuoteQuote:
Passwords must have 8 characters or more, and at least two of the following:
  • Uppercase letters
  • Lowercase letters
  • Numbers
  • Symbols
No wonder I forgot it!
Why can't places just let you choose simpler passwords with a recommendation for that?

06-20-2016, 08:25 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm terrible with passwords. Now I have a method of setting passwords using a combination of website name letters (shifted up or down in the ASCII character set) plus a word with certain letters changed to numbers (eg. "L" will become "1", "O" becomes "0", "A" becomes "4" etc.), with a prefix or suffix symbol. If I forget my password, I can then work it out within a couple of attempts. It's come in very handy on a couple of occasions!
06-20-2016, 08:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'm terrible with passwords. Now I have a method of setting passwords using a combination of website name letters (shifted up or down in the ASCII character set) plus a word with certain letters changed to numbers (eg. "L" will become "1", "O" becomes "0", "A" becomes "4" etc.), with a prefix or suffix symbol. If I forget my password, I can then work it out within a couple of attempts. It's come in very handy on a couple of occasions!
I do something similar but sometimes it just doesn't work!
06-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those who frequent VerticalScope fora will need to think of new passwords. Their database was hacked so all users will be required to change their passwords. VS have a huge number of fora in their portfolio. I'm on several of them.

06-20-2016, 06:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use LastPass. https://lastpass.com/
06-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Don't use passwords, use passphrases. Memorize a paragraph, poem, song etc. and use the first five to ten words (include spaces or not) and use that sentence as a "password". I have used memonics used to remember things, such as "On old Olympus towering tops a Finn and Germin viewed some hops" (Crainial nerve openings - frontal-posterior). I took 25 characters (or close to that number) and each required password change (every 60 days) shift the phrase one word to the right. Twenty five characters brute force attack will take longer than the heat death of the known universe.

Easy to do, easy to remember and when in doubt use a password safe to store all of your passwords. Never log on to your machine with a Administrator/root account/password unless you need to. While using an elevated account - do not surf, answer email, tweet, facebook (faceplant), snap(anything). Practice safe computing.
06-21-2016, 12:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

If you have a lot of photo gear, you are never short of potential [and memorable] passwords ...
06-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
I use LastPass. https://lastpass.com/
What happens if this site gets hacked?

06-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Don't use passwords, use passphrases. Memorize a paragraph, poem, song etc. and use the first five to ten words (include spaces or not) and use that sentence as a "password". I have used memonics used to remember things, such as "On old Olympus towering tops a Finn and Germin viewed some hops" (Crainial nerve openings - frontal-posterior). I took 25 characters (or close to that number) and each required password change (every 60 days) shift the phrase one word to the right. Twenty five characters brute force attack will take longer than the heat death of the known universe.

Easy to do, easy to remember and when in doubt use a password safe to store all of your passwords. Never log on to your machine with a Administrator/root account/password unless you need to. While using an elevated account - do not surf, answer email, tweet, facebook (faceplant), snap(anything). Practice safe computing.
I'm always on my machine as Administrator, why is this bad? Also, I have at least two dozen accounts that need passwords. There's no way I can remember all of these. I have a "cheater" list on the inside of my computer desk door; unless someone would break in, they are ok there. If someone breaks in, I think other things to steal would be more of a priority for them. Also just using "passphrases", as Bert posted, many sites require things such as symbols.

Here's a geat computer site that I've used for many years:

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
06-21-2016, 06:47 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"On old Olympus towering tops a Finn and Germin viewed some hops"
... I have a variant of this mnemonic... but I wouldn't post it here !
06-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What happens if this site gets hacked?
essentialy, they only have half of the encryption key. the other half is stored locally. (your phone, PC, whatever)

so if they get hacked, the hacker only gets useless gibberish, and if you get hacked they get the same gibberish.

https://lastpass.com/whylastpass_technology.php

it's about as secure as it possibly can be,
06-21-2016, 07:01 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
essentialy, they only have half of the encryption key. the other half is stored locally. (your phone, PC, whatever)

so if they get hacked, the hacker only gets useless gibberish, and if you get hacked they get the same gibberish.

https://lastpass.com/whylastpass_technology.php

it's about as secure as it possibly can be,
Now, that's a great idea; I'll have to look into this!
06-21-2016, 07:14 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
If you have a lot of photo gear, you are never short of potential [and memorable] passwords ...

Never log on to your machine with a Administrator/root account/password unless you need to.
My account is admin.
06-21-2016, 07:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Now, that's a great idea; I'll have to look into this!
it works awesome. i use it for work and personal.
It has tons of features i'll never use, but i use it like crazy.
06-21-2016, 07:27 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd not heard of it before (not a surprise in my case!). But I'm definitely going to look into it, and no doubt go that route. In this day and age, we cannot be too careful!