Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Microsoft One Drive

I recently purchase a computer that came with Windows 10 and OneDrive. OneDrive is a Microsoft based storage system that let's you store your images, documents, email attachments so that you can access them with something other than your computer such as iPhone or tablet, all for free !

I really didn't know what One Drive was so I left it alone. Until recently I got an email from Microsoft stating that I they had selected a few images that I downloaded last weekend and showed me the images they selected ?

I then decided to click on the oneDrive Icon on my desktop and noticed that it had saved my taxes forms, Lease, Medical information, resumes, work release authorization forms, Medical information, letters of acceptance, spread sheets with my budget etc. as well as pictures ??

Apparently OneDrive hijacked some documents from my email or desktop and stored it on the cloud without my knowing it or without my asking. I did notice last weekend that when I was downloading pictures that the folder I usually download to had a different name. Instead of C:users.hjoseph.pictures, it was changed to C:OneDriveG.users.hjoseph.pictures ???

This would have been all fine and dandy if they(Microsoft) had not sent me copies of the pictures I downloaded to my computer last week al with telling me they respect my privacy ????

Now I got figure out a way to disable this thing without breaking my computer...

06-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I say swear you to onedrive and disabled it.
Here's how:
How to Disable OneDrive and Remove It From File Explorer on Windows 10
06-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I say :swear: you to onedrive and disabled it.
Here's how:
Thanks bertwert
06-23-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I say :swear: you to onedrive and disabled it.
Here's how:
Thanks bertwert

06-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure you understand it, HJoseph.

You would have clicked through the setup routine - the default is to backup your Documents, Pictures etc to the Cloud.

You could have varied it to include this folder, but not that one, or to not do any of it. You still can.

I have 1 Tb of OneDrive storage and that's where my keeper RAW files go.

The other files in my life live in a 100Gb Google Drive allocation through pretty much the exact same procedure.
06-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Apparently there is a way to Unsync Onedrive from your hard drive by right clicking on the OneDrive Icon in File Explorer and choosing [Settings]. Then you can manually sync or Unsync the files you want to go or not go to The Cloud. Wow what a relief !
06-23-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi
Be careful with Win 10. You can't turn off automatic updates (maybe you can, I just have not yet come across it yet) and when you turn off all the spy features of the OS, chances are with the next update the most important ones to MS to gain excess to your info will be active again. The problem is, data collecting in WIN 10 is cleverly intertwined and when you turn off one so called feature another one will take over and keeps collecting through another route. You can turn off some of the stuff but it is not easily found as it is hidden deep inside the OS and in some cases you got to go on line to turn them off. (as an opt out at the advertisers web site which is locked in with MS Win 10). Opening an account with Microsoft probably is the worst thing you can do it opens up a huge can of worms. There is no way of ever cancelling it, even if you do there is no certainty it will be gone.

What disturbs me, in your case, is that MS actually looked at the contents of your OneDrive and if they looked at your pictures which you did not know you had stored there, what guaranty have you got they also did not look at everything else that is stored there. Frightening !

Windows 10 is not much of an improvement, actually you can see that Microsoft is trying to tie people to all sorts of commercial installations and programs, cutting your freedom to select diverse options. Microsoft is just after making more money and put in second place the ability of servicing correctly to people´s needs.

The fact is, Windows is now at such an advanced state with so much "fruit salad" hanging off it that further
programming for advances in usability is next to impossible. This means selling new versions of a better OS has come to a dead end until at least complete new technology comes along. In past years we have seen that new versions of Windows did not sell very well. So what can MicroSoft do.

As for Win 7 for example it should not have been impossible to splice into the code new security requirement but this would not produce a new OS for income. So how can a new income stream be created. Microsoft would have to be blind not to see how this can be achieved through Social Media Marketing and the way to get there is to force all Windows users to install a free Win 10, by hook or crook, an OS which is programmed to spy and collect user data. The fact that Microsoft Edge doesn’t allow you to block ads is proof that it has partnered with all those putting ads on the internet. From what I understand Microsoft has already backed down on some of the more blatantly obnoxious feature but it is hard to see which ones as the changes are hard to track if you are not a MS professional. No doubt with constant public outcry and possible litigation they may still change a lot of things but we will have to wait and see.

But even if MS is forced through the courts to make changes (and pay huge fines) they will find ways to circumvent these. Enter the Internet Explorer saga. MS after they lost the court case to dismantle or separate IE from the operating system so Windows would work without it and give people an easier way to use a different browser they merely made it invisible as a must have when you turn on the computer. Core functions of IE still remain as part of Win 10 even today.

Windows used to be called an operating system and in many ways essentially it still is. But if it walks like spyware, quacks like spyware, looks and smells like spyware we should better get used to it and call it spyware.

Money (advertising) keeps the coffers full and it certainly does it to Microsoft.

Why Windows 10 sucks or Everything Wrong with Windows 10

06-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure what you're complaining about. Thanks to Onedrive, I will never lose a file again. When I save it on my laptop, it saves to Onedrive and I can then access it from my phone or the laptop, or from any PC anywhere in the world, providing I log on.
06-23-2016, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #9
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi
Be careful with Win 10. You can't turn off automatic updates (maybe you can, I just have not yet come across it yet) and when you turn off all the spy features of the OS, chances are with the next update the most important ones to MS to gain excess to your info will be active again.
Windows used to be called an operating system and in many ways essentially it still is. But if it walks like spyware, quacks like spyware, looks and smells like spyware we should better get used to it and call it spyware. ..... snip
The tinfoil hat is strong with this one.
06-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Not sure what you're complaining about. Thanks to Onedrive, I will never lose a file again. When I save it on my laptop, it saves to Onedrive and I can then access it from my phone or the laptop, or from any PC anywhere in the world, providing I log on
There is a better way and you keep control of your data.

https://meetlima.com/index.php?lang=en&subid1=MB&subid2=188427_
06-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

For future reference:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Files-save-to-OneDrive-by-default-i...e-8c8e8ca70ac7
06-23-2016, 08:16 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a better way and you keep control of your data.

https://meetlima.com/index.php?lang=en&subid1=MB&subid2=188427_
"No data stored on our servers. As opposed to Cloud services which store your files on those companies’ servers, Lima only stores your files on your hard drive at home. No data is ever stored on Lima’s servers."

So, if my house burns down, my files are gone. I'm not sure that's a better way to keep control of my data.
06-23-2016, 08:43 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The fact that Microsoft Edge doesn’t allow you to block ads is proof that it has partnered with all those putting ads on the internet.
This is misleading on at least two grounds:

1. Edge does not yet support third party plug-ins like the ad-blocker you currently use or even any Microsoft plugins. It is spartan, lean, and very fast, with minimum security attack vectors. It may end up supporting various extensions, they would have to examine the pros and cons.

2. Internet Explorer is still in Windows 10 if you want to use it with Ad Blocker Plus or whatever. Just search for it with Cortana, and make it your default browser and put shortcuts to it all over the place if you like. You can do the same for Chrome or Firefox or whatever.
06-23-2016, 09:15 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been using OneDrive, both business and private, for five years now and I don't have any privacy issues with it. I don't put ultra-sensitive stuff on it, e.g. bank account details. I'm using it on a Win 7 laptop, Win 10 workstation and Win Phone 8.

My spying issue with Win10 was when a photo app notified that it could do great things with my photos and used some of them as an example. They asked for feedback and they got it Both barrels
06-23-2016, 10:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Edge does not yet support third party plug-ins like the ad-blocker you currently use or even any Microsoft plugins. It is spartan, lean, and very fast, with minimum security attack vectors. It may end up supporting various extensions, they would have to examine the pros and cons
clackers, what I wrote is just a layman's observation albeit with a fair understanding how computers work viewed through the eyes of an old fart with a healthy sens of suspicion acquired through experiences by having lived a few years.

Edge is still a very rudimental browser with plenty of shortcomings, maybe in future it will be usable but in the meantime I stay away from it, come to think I will stay away from it for good.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Internet Explorer is still in Windows 10
I thought that's what I said.

Using CORTANA ? no chance ! She was the first thing I lowered into the grave and I will make sure with everything I know she will stay there.