Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 06:03 PM   #16
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I think all of this is a good thing because it's likely to bring the Olympics and its organizers a reality check. The last few have been financial disasters for the host cities. Why build all these new stadiums and facilities for a single 2 week event? If this Olympics fails big time, and I think it will, perhaps they should look in the future to large cities that already have sports stadiums and facilities that are capable of holding the events and bring the focus back to the athletes and not the spectacular shows and ceremony. I stopped watching them years ago.
That is an interesting thought.. esp with bringing the costs back in check. That could also open the doors to smaller cities / countries hosting as well. Like a Lake Placid sized city.

I really don't like how NBC tends to create stories between clips of sporting events.. instead of just showing the whole event in entirety. If I wanted to watch a 2 sleeve tear jerker, I'd flip over to netflix. And they jump from event to event at times too.. esp between lesser appreciated events. Some of us just like the sports..

07-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could see someone feeling this way, it sounds pretty controversial from what I have read with how places are picked and then the parts that are built are left unused. I always thought they should have certain sports in different areas, like city with best swimming facilities should host that, best track and field should host in that city, using facilities that already exist. I know Baltimore/dc put a bid in, and lost, but it actually seems like a good location because we have numerous stadiums and locations for sailing, etc, spread out, but still within a reasonable drive. They raised $5 million to present it the Olympic committee. I think Boston won the bid.
07-01-2016, 06:23 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
Olympics? "yawn" though I do watch the winter games, but in general all it is is a giant business, all about money, influence, favors, bribes and in a technical sense has zero to do with the "spirit" of the games as intended.
Errika, I am totally floored by your comments. I always thought you were so upbeat, cool and in tune with everything. By the way, I am still trying to find that red car you said was in your photo. ))

Regards,

Tonytee.
07-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
According to a news report this morning, the lagoons and beach areas where some of the roare essentially open sewers.
I listened to a report on NPR about that, and the conclusion was it was basically unsafe to just view the bay from a distance. Yes...they do have their problems. Some of the events are to be held in those waters....so I am glad I am not in any way Olympic material!
Not to go political...but there isn't much on earth left that politics hasn't ruined...is there? Maybe more pleasure can still be obtained from neighborhood lots where kids play and compete......if any kids can be pried away from their phones and gameboxes to go outside?
Regards!

07-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #20
bxf
Veteran Member

Permit me to offer a dissenting view - at least in relation to some of the opinions expressed here.

When the Olympics came to Montreal (1976), I couldn't give a hoot. Strangely, I now view them with reasonable interest, and I enjoy doing so. More importantly, I consider the event to be the "great unifier", in the sense that people of various nations, races, and religions meet in a harmonious environment, the 1972 Munich events notwithstanding.

At the risk of sounding even more corny, I will say that I truly appreciate the opportunity of seeing the friendly competition and I feel it would be a pity for these affairs to perish.

Last edited by bxf; 07-02-2016 at 11:22 AM.
07-02-2016, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
That is an interesting thought.. esp with bringing the costs back in check. That could also open the doors to smaller cities / countries hosting as well. Like a Lake Placid sized cit
There was a bid offered for the Winter Olympics a few years back for a joint US/Canada hosting of the games. The US events (nordic and alpine skiing, bobsled, luge) would take place in Lake Placid and the skating, hockey, and opening ceremony's taking place in Montreal. All events would be held at facilities already in place requiring very little new infrastructure and would likely have turned a decent profit for all parties. It was quickly rejected as a stupid idea by Olympic officials. The 1976 summer Olympics in Montreal and 1980 Olympics in Lk. Placid lost money originally but the facilities over the years have been used and eventually been paid for. Lake Placid hosts world class competition every winter but spectators don't go. People don't care about these sports except every 4 years so it takes many years to get the money back. Having the Olympics returning to previous facilities would be a big plus for everyone.
07-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not to go political...but there isn't much on earth left that politics hasn't ruined...is there? Maybe more pleasure can still be obtained from neighborhood lots where kids play and compete......if any kids can be pried away from their phones and gameboxes to go outside?
Clearly you haven't served in any volunteer position regarding youth and sports. Heaven forfend, have you served, you should have been in position to make a decision.

07-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
and I feel it would be a pity for these affairs to perish.
Oh, they aren't going to perish! Far too much big money involved for that to happen!

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I consider the event to be the "great unifier", in the sense that people of various nations, races, and religions meet in a harmonious environment
I can agree with that, the more we mix and discover we all have similar desires, hopes and dreams, the better the world will be.

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Clearly you haven't served in any volunteer position regarding youth and sports. Heaven forfend, have you served, you should have been in position to make a decision.
I'm not sure I understand....a decision to what? I'm not certain I would be a good role model.....I did agree with my 13 year old grandson...named after me, and with similar traits...that school would be a lot better place without the teachers.

Regards!