Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2016, 05:50 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Uhmmm!! Excuse Me?

Through language learning courses and with the use of Skype, I have had the good fortune to meet people from different countries. Well recently, I had a conversation with a friend in Itapeva, Brazil. I mentioned the fact that I am excited about the Summer Olympic Games coming up on August 5th I believe, from Rio de Janeiro. Quite surprisingly she mentioned that Brazilians are not excited about Olympics and basically do not even like them. She went on to say that all they are interested in is Soccer.

I have to admit that was a rude awakening. Sort of like a kick in the teeth. Would like to hear some comments, please.

Rgds,

Antonio

06-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The Olympics is a huge hassle and it will cause problems in a city for decades. Why people WANT the Olympics I don't know. I guess it's some sort of status symbol. But for average people all it amounts to is constant construction, higher taxes, way more traffic, a huge interruption in day to day life, and then on top of that depending on where you are at rent and property prices go up like crazy.

What's there to like? Maybe some national pride I guess?
06-29-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The games should be help in one or two permanent locations. The last small scale Olympic Games were the winter games held in Lake Placid, NY in 1980. They purposely focused on the athletes and not the visitors. The athlete's lodgings was a brand new prison that was first built as a dormitory and then converted to a jail after the games were over. Existing facilities were used wherever possible and the games came off pretty well. And most importantly, they did not bankrupt the state and local communities. Almost as big a miracle as the Miracle On Ice that happened there.
06-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plus the fact that Brazil is in a somewhat difficult economic/political situation ... sure doesn't' t help!

06-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
The games should be help in one or two permanent locations. The last small scale Olympic Games were the winter games held in Lake Placid, NY in 1980. They purposely focused on the athletes and not the visitors. The athlete's lodgings was a brand new prison that was first built as a dormitory and then converted to a jail after the games were over. Existing facilities were used wherever possible and the games came off pretty well. And most importantly, they did not bankrupt the state and local communities. Almost as big a miracle as the Miracle On Ice that happened there.
Now the Olympics is a multi billion dollar hype bidding game. You should have seen Park City before the Olympics was announced and then go after. It went from a sleepy little town to elbow to elbow people with metered parking and all sorts of unwanted crap. You can't even find a parking spot there anymore and a lot of long time old residents were essentially run out of town. You had a TON of New York City billionaires all move in (or rather build houses) and create home owners associations which then in turn create stupid rules. In one area of Park City they instituted a building cost minimum. US $1m minimum must be spent in building costs EXCLUDING land or basically you get condemned and have to move.

From the day they even announced the Olympics there the mayhem started.
06-29-2016, 09:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Now the Olympics is a multi billion dollar hype bidding game. You should have seen Park City before the Olympics was announced and then go after. It went from a sleepy little town to elbow to elbow people with metered parking and all sorts of unwanted crap. You can't even find a parking spot there anymore and a lot of long time old residents were essentially run out of town. You had a TON of New York City billionaires all move in (or rather build houses) and create home owners associations which then in turn create stupid rules. In one area of Park City they instituted a building cost minimum. US $1m minimum must be spent in building costs EXCLUDING land or basically you get condemned and have to move.

From the day they even announced the Olympics there the mayhem started.
What I gathered from my conversation with this individual is that Brazil is a one sport country. She stated that they do not care about the Olympics because they are not interested in any other sport other than Soccer. From a monetary perspective, Brazil should reap a gigantic fortune by hosting the Olympics. The constant construction of course generates more jobs, from a floor sweeper to a Project Superintendent. One could go on and on about the financial benefits realized, however as far as being a tourist trap, hell that is reality no matter where you travel. In fact, while my wife and I were visiting an island nation in the Caribbean, we were robbed at gunpoint. Was there any point in going to the police? Of course not. Speaking for myself, I really am thrilled for these youngsters who have worked so very hard to get to where they are.
Also, the chance for these nations to put their political differences aside and focus on good, clean competition. Again, I cannot wait for the events to begin. I am just so happy for these kids having a chance of a lifetime.

Regards,

Antonio

P.S. The current President of Brazil, (whose name escapes me) is looking at impeachment because it is believed that she has embezzled somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 million dollars. Go figure.
06-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The possibility of the Zika virus and body parts washing up on the beach may be a bit off-putting for some visitors and athletes. Turn-out may be low...

06-30-2016, 02:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For me, the best thing about the 2000 Sydney Olympics was the greatly reduced traffic for the 60km drive to work in the city. A lot of people took their annual holidays to get away from Sydney or to help at the Games.

I didn't watch any of the Olympics as they held absolutely no interest to me.
06-30-2016, 06:21 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I actually prefer the Winter Olympics. But then again I loved to ski and also played some hockey. My wife will want to watch the opening and closing ceremonies.

Best closing ceremony ever was in Vancouver. When the repairman came out and "fixed" the prop that failed I lost it. Total surprise to everyone including the TV announcers who were not told of the skit either. I love how the Canadians don't mind taking a good natured jab at themselves. The 5 best years of my working career were the years I worked for a Canadian company out of Vancouver.
06-30-2016, 06:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lot of money coming into a country around the time of building Olympic facilities and when visitors are coming to see the events, doesn't mean that there is necessarily any significant benefit for the ordinary people who live there, either temporarily and certainly not long term. There are people who do make a lot of money, and that clique are the ones that fuel the corrupt Olympic city competition system and the bloated opening and closing show extravaganzas that have nothing to do with the sports. Most people who live in Rio are impoverished, and a year after the Olympics just as many or more of them will still be impoverished. So why should they care about the Olympic hype? I personally like watching Olympic competitions, but I dislike the focus on nationalism that sometimes seems to supersede celebrating the athletes' accomplishments. Perhaps the half or more of the Olympics should be held in a repeat location, to cut down on all this focus bigger and glitzier facilities.
06-30-2016, 06:48 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lillehammer was the last good Winter Olympics, and the best closing Ceremony. The 1984 LA Summer Olympics proved they're really just another Super Bowl or World Cup, except your country is your team.

This summer is the beginning of the demise of the commercial Olympic Games. It will be a disaster (of course covered up).

I rarely watch anyway because they never broadcast the events that interest me.
07-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Olympics? "yawn" though I do watch the winter games, but in general all it is is a giant business, all about money, influence, favors, bribes and in a technical sense has zero to do with the "spirit" of the games as intended.
07-01-2016, 02:32 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

According to a news report this morning, the lagoons and beach areas where some of the roare essentially open sewers.

Rio Olympics athletes face risks in contaminated water - Videos - CBS News
07-01-2016, 04:24 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
The possibility of the Zika virus and body parts washing up on the beach may be a bit off-putting for some visitors and athletes. Turn-out may be low...
haha.. not only that but Brazilian demonstrators are posting they have no hospitals and police won't keep you safe - dont come. Rio Olympics: Body parts wash up on volleyball beach - CNN.com

If this doesn't go well for Brazil, I could see it being the tipping point into chaos down there.. perhaps revolution? They surely don't have the money to pay for all the Olympic infrastructure. Doubly so if not many arrive to watch.
07-01-2016, 05:04 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I think all of this is a good thing because it's likely to bring the Olympics and its organizers a reality check. The last few have been financial disasters for the host cities. Why build all these new stadiums and facilities for a single 2 week event? If this Olympics fails big time, and I think it will, perhaps they should look in the future to large cities that already have sports stadiums and facilities that are capable of holding the events and bring the focus back to the athletes and not the spectacular shows and ceremony. I stopped watching them years ago.