Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 16 Likes Search this Thread
07-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Busted by the Grammar Police

ok so I was busted by the grammar police for not using the full and proper Swedish punctuation of Trädgårdsföreningen in a recent post, I plead ignorance of the law......

07-02-2016, 10:04 AM   #2
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
ok so I was busted by the grammar police for not using the full and proper Swedish punctuation of Trädgårdsföreningen in a recent post, I plead ignorance of the law......
Hey, please use correct English punctuation, will you?!

Oops, sorry, I'm not much into gardening and am probably not allowed to comment on such matters...

07-02-2016, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I spelled it right, just without all the added accents heh
07-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I spelled it right, just without all the added accents heh
I wonder why some people go off for things like that. I mean, I try my best to write correctly, but as long as the meaning is clear, well, why can't people just stick with the topic discussed? And if the meaning isn't clear, ask for a clarification.

I know, they are everywhere.

One thing I don't like, though, is use of txt spch or the like in international forums like this one. It makes it very hard for people less proficient in English to understand or to use Google or dictionaries to aid them.

07-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
suspicious1
07-02-2016, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wonder why some people go off for things like that. I mean, I try my best to write correctly, but as long as the meaning is clear, well, why can't people just stick with the topic discussed? And if the meaning isn't clear, ask for a clarification.

One thing I don't like, though, is use of txt spch or the like in international forums like this one. It makes it very hard for people less proficient in English to understand or to use Google or dictionaries to aid them.
I've read letters and posts from Human Resource people at companies and they have seen people using txt speech and emoticons, etc on their job applications. That is horrible and there was even a story about a University Professor who got in trouble with the school administrators for telling all students they were not allowed to use tablets or laptops in class and instead insisted they actually write stuff down on paper.
07-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
instead insisted they actually write stuff down on paper
It's an age thing, I'm with the Prof on this one.

07-02-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an accent, therefore can not advice.
07-02-2016, 04:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
It's an age thing, I'm with the Prof on this one.
My daughter is a tenure-track Asst. Prof. Her Department Rules (as handed down by the University Administration) prohibit such restrictions.
07-02-2016, 04:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
My daughter is a tenure-track Asst. Prof. Her Department Rules (as handed down by the University Administration) prohibit such restrictions.
yeah the administrators slapped down the prof and negated his rules heh
07-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #11
bxf
Veteran Member

I wonder why some people go off for things like that. I mean, I try my best to write correctly, but as long as the meaning is clear, well, why can't people just stick with the topic discussed
I am not at all bothered by someone making a spelling mistake, even if it's due to lack of knowledge as opposed to a typo. My concern is the fact that for some reason that totally escapes me, incorrect usage tends to spread, almost as if the public was determined to find and use the wrong way. Hence we have "book's" instead of "books", e.g. and i.e. almost consistently reversed from proper usage, "off of" is now almost universal in the US, Eyeraq and Eyeran are two countries that used to be Iraq and Iran, "rate of speed" instead of "speed", even the idiotic "nucular" instead of "nuclear" seems to be spreading, etc, etc etc.

End of rant, for now.
07-02-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
Pentaxian

My pet hates are the confusion of 'there', 'their' and 'they're' and similarly 'your' and 'you're'. And this does confuse meaning. I think people are genuinely blind and deaf to the differences, and it is not just lazy self editing.

The original poster has a point though. As a post of a Swedish word in a predominantly English language forum it is okay not to use the proper orthography on a non English word. If we were to follow the logic of the complainant we would need to use the correct spelling of the word 'bokeh' for example. The most common Romanization of the Japanese language does not use a final 'h' but if that was used then we English speakers would constantly mispronounce the word to rhyme with joke or broke as we commonly read the o-e as a split digraph whereas the Japanese language gives equal weight to each vowel.

As Savoche comments, we just need clarity of meaning or of intent for communication to be successful.

Last edited by Arjay Bee; 07-02-2016 at 05:06 PM.
07-02-2016, 04:59 PM   #13
Pentaxian

... not using the full and proper Swedish punctuation of Trädgårdsföreningen ......
i often get that wrong too

---------- Post added 3rd Jul 2016 at 12:02 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
My pet hates are the confusion of 'there', 'their' and 'they're' and similarly 'your' and 'you're'. And this does confuse meaning. I think people are genuinely blind and deaf to the differences, and it is not just lazy self editing.
The teaching of those things has gone down hill,
the competition from txting, slang, crap inported TV progs is overwhelming.
07-02-2016, 05:03 PM   #14
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Hence my "etc, etc, etc"
07-02-2016, 05:23 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It makes it very hard for people less proficient in English
Heck, I'm proficient in English and I can't understand any texting language!

yeah the administrators slapped down the prof and negated his rules heh
Where is your punctuation?