Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2016, 05:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Computer upgrade... Mac users please help

Hi

I need to update my 11-year-old desktop computer.

It will be another Mac.

I have the K-1 and am about to do an intermediate post processing course.

What do you think is an good configuration re RAM etc so the computer runs smoothly and handles the large files?

We'll be learning layers and selections, adjustment layer masks, image stacking and colour management; filters and other image editing functions in Camera RAW, Photoshop and Lightroom.

Will 16GB RAM be enough? Any suggestions re other features to look for. I store my pics on an external HD.

My computers last me a long time, so I prefer to get something that will not be under-gunned too soon.

thanks in advance.

07-05-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My IMac is about 8 years old now...... wish it would die so the wife would just say get another one! Anyway, I'd go 32 on ram and a 1T SSD..... then over time go thunderbolt for external storage..... all funds permitting of course.

If funds was and issue.... 16 on ram and 512 on SSD....... all OS and Apps on SSD..... load photos on SSD and edit..... later moving to thinderbolt drive.
07-05-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still using an early 2009 Mac mini, but El Capitan is the end of the road. I can't imagine using a desktop older than that...though I do have a 14 year old iBook G3...

16 Gigs of RAM should be more than enough, though 32 is more future proof. 4K iMacs are no longer upgradeable (and max out at 16GB), it has to be installed at the factory. The 5K iMac can still be upgraded, though that may change at the next update. Apple says 32GB, but they can be upgraded to 64GB. I edit RAW files from the K-3 in 8 GB...

An SSD that is big enough for the OS, Apps and cache files, external storage for files.
07-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought a refurbished late 2015 27" iMac. It came with 16 GB RAM. This model allows for user upgrade/installation of RAM, so since there were 4 slots (2 still available) I added another 16 GB myself for 32 GB total. You can also use 4 16GB modules for a total of 64 GB, but that seemed like overkill to me and is much more expensive. It has the Retina 5 K display. The processor is intel i7 @ 4 GHz. The memory is 1867 MHz DDR3. The graphics card is the AMD Radeon R9 M395 (2048 MB). You can get this model with 1, 2, or 3 TB fusion drives. I also keep my computers for many years and this was the most future proof one I could find within my budget. It seems to handle the K-1 files without difficulty. The 5K display has amazing resolution. It made me realize that my pictures were actually much better than I could see on my prior Thunderbolt display. It does the K-1 files justice.

Buying refurbished from Apple is a great way to get a higher spec'd computer with a warranty (you can get Apple Care for them too). Apple also has an arrangement with Barclay's Bank for a VISA with 18 months @ 0% financing.

07-05-2016, 10:30 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loveisageless Quote
I bought a refurbished late 2015 27" iMac. It came with 16 GB RAM. This model allows for user upgrade/installation of RAM, so since there were 4 slots (2 still available) I added another 16 GB myself for 32 GB total. You can also use 4 16GB modules for a total of 64 GB, but that seemed like overkill to me and is much more expensive. It has the Retina 5 K display. The processor is intel i7 @ 4 GHz. The memory is 1867 MHz DDR3. The graphics card is the AMD Radeon R9 M395 (2048 MB). You can get this model with 1, 2, or 3 TB fusion drives. I also keep my computers for many years and this was the most future proof one I could find within my budget. It seems to handle the K-1 files without difficulty. The 5K display has amazing resolution. It made me realize that my pictures were actually much better than I could see on my prior Thunderbolt display. It does the K-1 files justice.

Buying refurbished from Apple is a great way to get a higher spec'd computer with a warranty (you can get Apple Care for them too). Apple also has an arrangement with Barclay's Bank for a VISA with 18 months @ 0% financing.
Sounds nice...... typed this just before my old one f e l l o ff t h e d e s k ....... crunch
07-06-2016, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
My IMac is about 8 years old now...... wish it would die so the wife would just say get another one! Anyway, I'd go 32 on ram and a 1T SSD..... then over time go thunderbolt for external storage..... all funds permitting of course.

If funds was and issue.... 16 on ram and 512 on SSD....... all OS and Apps on SSD..... load photos on SSD and edit..... later moving to thinderbolt drive.
I know this is probably just me but since Apple has now ceased production of thunderbolt displays I just have to wonder about the long term storage support now. Yes I know it's not going anywhere soon but I always think like that
07-06-2016, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.

Looks like 32GB RAM might be the safest option....and I will go the Retina 5 display in 27". Have had a look for refurbished ones, but there don't seem to be any available here ATM.

07-06-2016, 01:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woot often has refurbished Mac units, you may want to have a look.
07-06-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

I have a c. 2009 Mac Pro with 12 GB, and that is more than plenty for my K-3. I'll be using it for years to come. I have no problems stitching panoramas with 10-20 RAW images (and it could do more). 16 GB would be oodles, even for a K-1 (50% more data than the K-3). 32 GB would be an awful lot, and probably future-proof you beyond the life of the computer. If the Mac has socketed memory, you can upgrade later and defer that cost until you really need that much (and the price of memory will almost certainly come down). If the Mac you want does not have socketed memory, you have to buy it now, or replace the entire computer later. Depending on the price point (and your budget), that may or may not be a viable alternative. Even Macs are becoming disposable commodities, sadly.
07-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Woot often has refurbished Mac units, you may want to have a look.
Thanks...but I'm in Australia, and so am looking for a local supplier. I should have mentioned that

"I have a c. 2009 Mac Pro with 12 GB, and that is more than plenty for my K-3. I'll be using it for years to come. I have no problems stitching panoramas with 10-20 RAW images (and it could do more). 16 GB would be oodles, even for a K-1 (50% more data than the K-3). 32 GB would be an awful lot, and probably future-proof you beyond the life of the computer. If the Mac has socketed memory, you can upgrade later and defer that cost until you really need that much (and the price of memory will almost certainly come down). If the Mac you want does not have socketed memory, you have to buy it now, or replace the entire computer later. Depending on the price point (and your budget), that may or may not be a viable alternative. Even Macs are becoming disposable commodities, sadly.
7 Hours Ago 06:35 AM"

A good thought...thanks - this upgrade is actually going to cost more than I had hoped, so as long as I can upgrade later if needed, I will start with 16GB and see how it goes.
07-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
I know this is probably just me but since Apple has now ceased production of thunderbolt displays I just have to wonder about the long term storage support now. Yes I know it's not going anywhere soon but I always think like that
I don't think Apple is no longer supporting Thunderbolt, they have just stopped building the monitors, probably because they aren't selling. Thunderbolt is starting to take off in PC's so I would expect to see Thunderbolt external drives for some time yet. Keep in mind that external hard drives and SSD's need to be replaced at least as often as a computer so if something new is the next big thing in 5 years, it really won't be an issue.
07-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snpsht Quote
Thanks...but I'm in Australia, and so am looking for a local supplier. I should have mentioned that

"I have a c. 2009 Mac Pro with 12 GB, and that is more than plenty for my K-3. I'll be using it for years to come. I have no problems stitching panoramas with 10-20 RAW images (and it could do more). 16 GB would be oodles, even for a K-1 (50% more data than the K-3). 32 GB would be an awful lot, and probably future-proof you beyond the life of the computer. If the Mac has socketed memory, you can upgrade later and defer that cost until you really need that much (and the price of memory will almost certainly come down). If the Mac you want does not have socketed memory, you have to buy it now, or replace the entire computer later. Depending on the price point (and your budget), that may or may not be a viable alternative. Even Macs are becoming disposable commodities, sadly.
7 Hours Ago 06:35 AM"

A good thought...thanks - this upgrade is actually going to cost more than I had hoped, so as long as I can upgrade later if needed, I will start with 16GB and see how it goes.
I don't know whether Apple ships to Australia or not. If they do, watch the Apple.com website for refurbished ones. Availability changes frequently, so the trick is to keep checking. I bought mine on-line from them and it was well packaged and arrived in one piece.
07-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a Mac mini (don't care for the iMac configuration) and have had one as my primary desktop for about ten years...

upgraded last year to a 2.6Ghz i5 processor with 16Gb of ram and 1Tb hdd; I keep only apps on the internal hdd and everything else is on external Tb drives...

seems quite sturdy enough for me - I don't process video, only stills and use LightZone, Tonality, and PSE13 as my primary post-processors...
07-08-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

I have a 2012, 27 inch iMac. It came with dual Core I7 processer. I did upgrade the RAM buying 2 8GB sticks to go to 16. RAM is easy to put in. Just for giggles, I left in the extra 2 sticks of 2. The CPU is recognizing 20 GB of RAM. I use Lightroom and Photoshop and this CPU easily handles the workflow. The only sub par aspect is the USB 2, instead of 3. It does have one FireWire slot. I have no reason to upgrade at this time. Monitor calibrates well with Spyder 5.

Last edited by tscip22; 07-08-2016 at 09:48 PM.
07-08-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tscip22 Quote
I have a 2012, 27 inch iMac. It came with dual Core I7 processer. I did upgrade the RAM buying 2 8MB sticks to go to 16. RAM is easy to put in. Just for giggles, I left in the extra 2 sticks of 2. The CPU is recognizing 20 MB of RAM. I use Lightroom and Photoshop and this CPU easily handles the workflow. The only sub par aspect is the USB 2, instead of 3. It does have one FireWire slot. I have no reason to upgrade at this time. Monitor calibrates well with Spyder 5.
Only 20 MB? I had that configuration in my Quadra 605 (4MB soldered and 16 MB SIMM)