Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
07-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Hey guys, we all have until July 29th to install the new Windows 10. I was wondering how many of you did download it or panning to download it. And what is your OS that you upgraded from or what is it now before you decide to upgrade?

I have Windows 8.1 and I don't know! Your opinions are what I need, talk away!
Finally did my upgrade from 8.1 to 10 yesterday, on a HP Elitebook 8760W. I waited this long on this machine as I use this for work and did not want any down-time. Went faultlessly. I have previously updated a new lenovo machine (for my wife), an older HP and also a newish HP previously used by our daughter and now used by our son. All went well, on all machines.

All my software works, including my AutoDesk Architecture Design Suite.

07-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #62

Today is the last day for the free upgrade. Im posting this from a 6 year old Sony Vaio with Win 7. Im tempted to upgrade but it's going to brick some of the software.

Side note does anyone work for a sizable company that is on Windows 10 already? My company is very behind with Windows releases. Windows 10 would even be considered for rolling out to users for another few years.
07-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by richmondthefish Quote
does anyone work for a sizable company that is on Windows 10 already?
I work for a company with roughly 100,000 employees worldwide, but the upgrade to Windows 7 was only rolled out 3 years ago. Our IT department has set group policies to block upgrades to Windows 10.
07-29-2016, 06:33 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I work for a company with roughly 100,000 employees worldwide, but the upgrade to Windows 7 was only rolled out 3 years ago. Our IT department has set group policies to block upgrades to Windows 10.

Yep that was the exact same timeline as my company for Windows 7. The amount of testing that goes into these upgrades is a nightmare. I think if large companies can survive with Windows 7 so can my old Sony Vaio. No upgrade for me. Still 3.5 years until extended support is done.

07-29-2016, 06:42 PM - 1 Like   #65
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
There is a huge financial benefit because in the near future, they will only have to update and support one version of Windows. Maintaining updates for multiple versions of Windows for X number of years is very costly. Getting as many people as possible using Windows 10 now keeps them in the Windows family. It's a good move. Also, hardware has matured in the past few years to the point that it's possible to have a single OS running on lots of different aged computers. By having the forced updates, they will also be forcing users to update to new computers because as they keep updating for newer hardware, they will be dropping support for older machines. They are looking to the future. Besides, in the past, the overwhelming majority of users always upgraded their Windows version when they upgraded their computer. XP lasted forever and people kept their computers way too long. Microsoft now has the ability to "turn off" our older computers with an update that doesn't support certain hardware, forcing us to buy new ones. Not that I think Microsoft would do such a thing.

I'll be updating to Windows 10 when I replace my 5 and 6 year old computers later this year. At this point, they're on borrowed time anyhow. The motherboard in my desktop is Vista era and was bought on sale and I had issues in the beginning running Windows 7. I'm not even thinking of running Windows 10 on it. Besides, I want the benefit of USB 3, SSD's, etc that I don't have now. While it's probably possible to upgrade some features, it really won't be anywhere near as good as a new build.
Microsoft has forced me to buy a new computer.

iMac 21" loaded.
07-29-2016, 07:10 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Microsoft has forced me to buy a new computer.

iMac 21" loaded.
I certainly can't argue that decision in any way. I have also considered a Mac. They are a bit pricey.
07-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I certainly can't argue that decision in any way. I have also considered a Mac. They are a bit pricey.
No doubt. But they just work and I won't constantly wrestle with Malware blockers and virus scanners that hog resources and I can think Anglo-Saxon invective at Microsoft and actually do something about it - I'm willing to pay a little more for that.

It's like when I had a minor heart attack and found out you can pay people to cut your grass. Totally worth it.

07-29-2016, 08:32 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are malware for mac apparently, Eset AV for the mac is a recommended product.
07-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #69
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
There are malware for mac apparently, Eset AV for the mac is a recommended product.
So I read, but do they take control of your machine?
07-29-2016, 09:20 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

do they take control of your machine?
if you allow them to, mostly they need root privileges via password, but apparently more these days are designed to bypass the authentication needed, not sure how they do that

one of the problems with windows was that everyone was root and often no password. Run a de-escalated user account with password and some stuff is going to have a harder time executing, that is how it is with Mint and most likely OSX

Last edited by beachgardener; 07-29-2016 at 10:08 PM.
07-30-2016, 04:15 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Run a de-escalated user account with password and some stuff is going to have a harder time executing
Already there. I need to either add RAM and external storage to a 2010 Lenovo Laptop or upgrade. Time to upgrade anyway and use it for light duty.
07-30-2016, 04:31 AM   #72
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to either add RAM and external storage to a 2010 Lenovo Laptop or upgrade. Time to upgrade anyway and use it for light duty.
If you are buying a mac, maybe the Lenovo could run a Linux distro, maybe LinuxMint
07-30-2016, 04:47 AM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are buying a mac, maybe the Lenovo could run a Linux distro, maybe LinuxMint
All good suggestions. Ten years ago I'd have been all over it.

Here's the thing. I don't want to futz with them any more. I want to take photographs with my time. And the guy who for years I paid to 'cut the grass' has gotten too big for my account.

So now I want a Honda. Start it. Drive it. Park it.

Last edited by monochrome; 07-30-2016 at 04:53 AM.
07-30-2016, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've just bought another laptop with Windows 7 so that I can get at least another 3 years or so before I even have to think about "upgrading" to Windows 10 or whatever is around then.
07-30-2016, 05:59 AM   #75
Pentaxian

So now I want a Honda. Start it. Drive it. Park it.
I'm thinking much the same way these days. A lot of time is spent doing "maintenance" on a Windows computer. The constant virus and spyware scans and other stuff that people tend to shrug off are things I would rather not be doing. Yes, there is some malware attacking Macs but nowhere near the risks out there on Windows. It's almost comical sometimes. Some sort of malware attacks a few Macs and the tech press gleefully splashes it across the headlines while the malware attacking Windows is in the hundreds of thousands. BTW, I have 2 late model CRV's in my driveway.

I have used Linux (Ubuntu) and I liked it for the most part. There are 2 things I need to do on a computer that I can't do with Linux. My tax returns and edit my photos. And yes, I know somebody will instantly chime in raving about some POS photo app that's "just as good and does everything that xxxxx does". I've used them. For my needs, they suck. I need a computer that will run Lightroom CC and that leaves me with Windows or a Mac. There are some online options for doing tax returns but I really don't trust the security of those sites and I think they are limited to short form returns anyhow. You can do a short form with a calculator and pen in less time than it takes to install any tax prep app but my returns are a little more complex.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-02-2016 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Edited mild vulgarity