Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2016, 01:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
so I'm a bit weird, your point is?

Sometimes it would be easier I think if I was a more up to date and with it sorta girl, but I'm not despite being young.

I prefer old b/w movies to the latest rom com or superhero junk, I bemoan the lack of actual actors instead of movie stars ( very different things)
I despise social media, the cloud, and sharing one's every waking moment with the world
My cell phone is a blackberry, not the latest iGizmo,
My personal style makes me stand out, not in a good way and even scares some people
While friends go to starbucks I prefer to bury my nose in an anthropology study ( I also hate coffee)
As my friends discuss the latest worthless pop culture trends and people I study victorian and gothic architecture and style or listen to renaissance or medieval music

In short yeah I'm weird, but I refuse to cheapen myself by bowing to peer pressure or to fit in, which does make things difficult heh

07-16-2016, 01:36 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We should get together, Erikka!

Over coffee at my local coffee roaster/chocolatier. You have hot choc and I'll have a good coffee, not Starbucks!
07-16-2016, 01:47 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Erikka Quote
I despise social media,
Kind of hard to declare this since PentaxForums is social media site.
07-16-2016, 01:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
We should get together, Erikka!

Over coffee at my local coffee roaster/chocolatier. You have hot choc and I'll have a good coffee, not Starbucks!
yep, hot chocolate or tea, etc I dunno why I'm like this but, I prefer looking at and touching old things, something as mundane as an old mailbox,or an antique dress form, or medical instrument, etc, If they could talk and tell me their stories, places they've been, things they've seen, etc that's what I love, things that were handmade by a skilled craftsman and no two alike, things that will be there long after the mass produced cheap junk has long rotted away at the bottom of a landfill. I guess I just have an old soul in many ways heh

---------- Post added 07-16-16 at 01:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Kind of hard to declare this since PentaxForums is social media site.
that's true, but I also appreciate the fact it at least has some redeeming qualities to it not to mention some great people .....

Last edited by Erikka; 07-16-2016 at 02:16 AM.
07-16-2016, 02:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am on facebook...to keep up to date with friends and family....saves having to see them much.
I don't think I have an iphone or a Blackberry but get more calls and texts than I send. I am not up to date on a lot of stuff.
The only books I usually read are Fantasy with the occasional SF though at the moment am thoroughly enjoying Jeeves and Wooster by P.G.Wodehouse KBE (again)
All the recent jokes I have seen lately have been on Pentax Forums (joke thread).
I am getting old. Drink way to much coffee but have never been to Starbucks.
If I shared all my waking moments with people....they would be bored stiff! I know I would be.
Nice to be different though people think me unsociable.
Chin up, toodle pip what.
07-16-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I am on facebook...to keep up to date with friends and family....saves having to see them much.
I don't think I have an iphone or a Blackberry but get more calls and texts than I send. I am not up to date on a lot of stuff.
The only books I usually read are Fantasy with the occasional SF though at the moment am thoroughly enjoying Jeeves and Wooster by P.G.Wodehouse KBE (again)
All the recent jokes I have seen lately have been on Pentax Forums (joke thread).
I am getting old. Drink way to much coffee but have never been to Starbucks.
If I shared all my waking moments with people....they would be bored stiff! I know I would be.
Nice to be different though people think me unsociable.
Chin up, toodle pip what.
yeah I hate FB myself too, use it as little as possible but with friends in many different countries is the easiest way to stay in touch tho I don't post anything or share stuff, just a communication medium for me
07-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dislike FB too but it is an easy way to see what's on the mind of my daughter, and two granddaughters and I don't post anything I don't want any of them to share with their friends and my family.

Reading, I do a lot. I like mystery books. I use a tablet for that. But I've read all the Harry Potter books several times over because sometimes I need to be in a fantasy world rather than my boring world here.
07-16-2016, 02:18 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Honest is good, Erikka. Musically, I am even more weird than you -- I am an organ nut. An organ nut whose wife calls my home organ my mistress because some days it gets more love than she does. I play baroque organ music. It's not much further out than medieval, but it is definitely an acquired taste. listen. whatever.

Do your thing.

PS the organ in my home right now is my second mistress. I wore the first one out. I haven't worn my wife out yet, despite apparently trying very hard sometimes. We have a document on the wall from Pope Francis that will be a year old on the 24th of this month congratulating us on not killing each other for 50 years.

07-16-2016, 02:26 AM   #9
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
congratulating us on not killing each other for 50 years.

Congratulations to you and Mrs " Rockies."
07-16-2016, 02:39 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honest is good, Erikka. Musically, I am even more weird than you -- I am an organ nut. An organ nut whose wife calls my home organ my mistress because some days it gets more love than she does. I play baroque organ music. It's not much further out than medieval, but it is definitely an acquired taste. listen. whatever.

Do your thing.

PS the organ in my home right now is my second mistress. I wore the first one out. I haven't worn my wife out yet, despite apparently trying very hard sometimes. We have a document on the wall from Pope Francis that will be a year old on the 24th of this month congratulating us on not killing each other for 50 years.
Yep, will def look into that style, Any particular recommendations? As a side note, though I've never really gotten into classical music I recently came across some that has somewhat interested me, Richard Wagner, now excuse this description of it but it seems a bit moodier or heavier? than what I usually thought of for classical music..
07-16-2016, 03:03 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, will def look into that style, Any particular recommendations? As a side note, though I've never really gotten into classical music I recently came across some that has somewhat interested me, Richard Wagner, now excuse this description of it but it seems a bit moodier or heavier? than what I usually thought of for classical music..
Wagner is known for heavy introspective music. Most of his better known output is long operatic pieces. Google Wagner + Ring and you can find it. I find it gets a bit tedious after the first hour or so. I prefer the clarity of baroque.

There is an up and coming very young Dutch organist, Gert van Hoef, who has a bunch of music on YouTube. He plays a mix of music, and you might find you like this and hate that and might sometime get into the other, but he has a bit of everything in his videos. It is kind of a kaleidoscope of music on the organ. He's even got a couple of videos of film scores he has arranged, and one or two with other musicians. I only recommend him because he is a good musician, and plays a variety of musical styles.
07-16-2016, 04:37 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wagner is known for heavy introspective music. Most of his better known output is long operatic pieces. Google Wagner + Ring and you can find it. I find it gets a bit tedious after the first hour or so. I prefer the clarity of baroque.
I have to agree there. An old friend of mine was a Wagner nut. He sat through the entire Ring Cycle at Bayreuth, once, and loved it. To me, Wagner's operas are like mining for opals: for every flash of brilliance there are several tonnes of overburden to sift through. I much prefer Richard Strauss, but I guess that may be a given for an organ enthusiast.
07-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nor weird. Different,. Viva la difference!
07-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I am normal. everybody else is weird
07-16-2016, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

In short yeah I'm weird,
Perhaps, but only because of this:

( I also hate coffee)