Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-09-2016, 09:52 AM   #16

I used to dive a lot years ago. Over the years things did change a whole heck of a lot. My father taught me when I was a kid. He was a rescue diver in the air force. I still have his old Aqualung two hose regulator. I had a lot of fun both free diving (snorkeling) and with tanks. Most of the diving I did was for lobster and clams in Long Island Sound. Most of the time we couldn't use the tanks for lobstering and it was all surface dives. Used to stay in the water at least 6 hours at a time. Man that was fun times.
Haven't been diving in years though I was looking at new gear just for surface diving. I used to get about 45 feet down. All my rubber equipment is long melted (literally) away. I can't believe the prices of masks and fins. $200-300 for a mask! Youch!
Alas with breathing problems I am not willing to spend all that money for a mask when I am not even sure I can hold my breath long enough anymore.
I'd love to get back into SCUBA just to visit the reefs here to see some of the fish we keep in tanks. And also to get some lionfish.

Have fun.

09-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have discovered that wearing a 7mm wetsuit makes me entirely too buoyant. I will have to increase the amount of weight in my belt to 20+ pounds. Will also need ankle weights. As is, the swim area at the lake is shutting down for the year this week, and the visibility has been poor due to the underwater weeds starting to decay and ferment. Add to that, I just had to spend $300 on brake pads and rotors for my car, so my purchases have been halted.
02-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Woo... been a while since I last posted in this thread. I have nearly completed the acquisition of my basic dive gear.

List:

Mares Hybrid Pro-Tec BCD
Seac 6mm dive boots
Tusa Solla fins
Tusa Imprex 3D mask
Sherwood Adventura snorkel
Tusa Imprex 420 stainless blunt tip dive knife
7mm wetsuit
10 lbs sea pearls mesh bag dive weights
seac weight belt
Kraken Aquatics mesh gear bag
Akona weight bag

and.... as of just a little bit ago.... and thanks to scuba.com starting a massive sale at midnight:

Mares quad wrist computer and usb connection dock
Mares Abyss octo

I just need the regulator kit, additional dive weights, and gauge/nav console then my basic essentials will be complete. Anything else is non-essential stuff. Tank will only be purchased after I've been trained and certified, as those have definitive lifetimes on them before they need mandatory retesting/recertification.