Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I knew that one day it will happen to me (ebay)

I guess I've been lucky for a very long time as a seller on ebay, having spotless feedback.
That's because I was not selling much lenses there before, or other tech gear.

So, it happened. I sold the guy small mamiya sekor, packed like a tank. The confirmation showed that someone received it on the reception. I had no idea that I'm sending on business address, but it's ok, people often prefer work, or private business address instead of residential.

However, he waited 15 days after the delivery to write me back that the lens came damaged "due to poor packing". Excuse me? That's insulting. Unless postal workers played soccer with the box, it's highly impossible that the lens arrived with the rear glass damage, as the buyer tells.
I asked to provide with the pictures, both the lens and the original box to fill out the insurance claim. I'm so curious to see that damage.
What a headache...

08-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I guess I've been lucky for a very long time as a seller on ebay, having spotless feedback.
That's because I was not selling much lenses there before, or other tech gear.

So, it happened. I sold the guy small mamiya sekor, packed like a tank. The confirmation showed that someone received it on the reception. I had no idea that I'm sending on business address, but it's ok, people often prefer work, or private business address instead of residential.

However, he waited 15 days after the delivery to write me back that the lens came damaged "due to poor packing". Excuse me? That's insulting. Unless postal workers played soccer with the box, it's highly impossible that the lens arrived with the rear glass damage, as the buyer tells.
I asked to provide with the pictures, both the lens and the original box to fill out the insurance claim. I'm so curious to see that damage.
What a headache...
You are correct, it really is just a matter of time. This is the main reason I closed both my ebay and amazon.com accounts. They both are really not much more than internet garage sales. Wish you better luck in the future.

Rgds,

Antonio
08-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
This is the main reason I closed both my ebay and amazon.com accounts. They both are really not much more than internet garage sales.
Yep, I still can't agree with ebay policy when they restricted giving an honest feedback to the buyers. While it's not a big deal for big sellers, it was really helpful for the occasional sellers like us to check buyers reputation. I remember how many sellers complained, but it did not change anything. Unfortunately, ebay is a big monopoly.
08-07-2016, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I still can't agree with ebay policy when they restricted giving an honest feedback to the buyers. While it's not a big deal for big sellers, it was really helpful for the occasional sellers like us to check buyers reputation. I remember how many sellers complained, but it did not change anything. Unfortunately, ebay is a big monopoly.
Regarding ebay the one policy of "Buy It Now". A buyer chose that feature and I had to run him down for three days. I informed him that, "Buy It Now" means you pay for it now, not three days down the road. So as a seller, I stopped offering that feature.

Antonio

08-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #5
Forum Member

Before everyone jumps on the eBay hate bandwagon I just want to point out that eBay has a dispute resolution process. As a seller, if you have abided by their "seller protection policy" you are covered against certain types of fraud. Do not leap to conclusions until you have seen the process through. Yes eBay can be a little bureaucratic and has a bias towards buyers, but if you read their policy carefully and play by the rules I think there is a good chance this will work out OK. I have had to use this process in the past and it is a pain but if you cooperate and provide the documentation they ask for it may not be a problem.

Also regarding "buy it now": you can set your listing to require payment at the time of purchase if you like. Not sure why that isn't the default setting.
08-07-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

ebay is heavily in the buyers favor.. and their rules keep turning more and more that way it seems to me.

I've only sold a few items on ebay, but I held my breath every time waiting to see if the buyer would come back with a "Its not working", "Its broken", or "It never arrived" message. So many avenues for trouble to occur.

Once I had a guy who bought an item from me through ebay to only backtrack and say it was the wrong item and he wanted to retract. People click the 'Buy Now' before doing their homework sometimes.. perhaps the reason for some of those false claims too.. instead of sucking up their own mistakes, they'll stick to the seller instead.

I have a huge Kurzweil keyboard I want to sell but think I'd rather opt for local classifieds or even Craigslist over ebay.. due to the weight and value of the item (plus the 10% hit). No way I would want to stomach a snafu by the delivery service (usually USPS) or a rogue buyer with false claims.. blech! CL is kind of scary to me though meeting people in person.. they know you're bringing a high dollar item it sort of makes it a perfect method of robbery.

That said, I oddly (or maybe not given the aforementioned buyers market) enjoy buying through ebay... it makes much more sense to be a bigger seller with a % of headroom for loss/damage and bad buyers over us small time sellers trying to make a few bucks off one or two items here or there.

Hope it all goes well for you, please keep us posted!
08-08-2016, 02:54 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
Before everyone jumps on the eBay hate bandwagon I just want to point out that eBay has a dispute resolution process. As a seller, if you have abided by their "seller protection policy" you are covered against certain types of fraud. Do not leap to conclusions until you have seen the process through. Yes eBay can be a little bureaucratic and has a bias towards buyers, but if you read their policy carefully and play by the rules I think there is a good chance this will work out OK. I have had to use this process in the past and it is a pain but if you cooperate and provide the documentation they ask for it may not be a problem.

Also regarding "buy it now": you can set your listing to require payment at the time of purchase if you like. Not sure why that isn't the default setting.
It really isn't a hate bandwagon, only pointing out a few caveats when dealing online. One example is to allow a winning bidder three chances to pay up and then that bidder is removed if he does not pay. Three chances? One mistake I can understand, but two and then three is inexcusable because the seller is forced to pay all the listing and gallery fees again and again. You are correct that there exists a resolution dept., and for the most part, it works quite well. I took it on the chin when looking for a golf shirt, purchased it and found it had a big glob of super glue on the front. Which of course was concealed in the photograph. I did not complain, all I did was send an email to the seller telling him I hope he has no problems sleeping at night. I could have hurt his business, but I figure, lesson learned. We take our chances out there and sometimes a person has to know when to pull the plug. Thanks for reading,

Antonio

08-08-2016, 06:22 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ajack Quote
Before everyone jumps on the eBay hate bandwagon I just want to point out that eBay has a dispute resolution process. As a seller, if you have abided by their "seller protection policy" you are covered against certain types of fraud.
In a theory, yes. Will see how it work for me.
08-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well I guess really this is part of doing business, you know. Classical dealers like Amazon or B&H also provide a few days retractation period, free, warrenty/repair support...

They also tend like ebay to protect the buyer because they are affraid of the bad reputation or to losse the clients. Even classical shops with good reputation do the same. I never saw carrefour complaining if you brought back a product and the house fourniture shop I got last weak cleam that I long as you have the ticket, you can go back with everything you brought from them and get your money back for 1 month.

This is about building a reputation and giving confidence to the buyer. Sure if you sell only few item that might be annoying if it happen to your on the second or third sale and you lost a few hundred euros to a damaged parcell of not so honest buyer. But basically once you start to sell thing, your are really a merchant and should think and behave like one. That include factoring that there will be cost and losses etc and that it can't be totally avoided.

Hey pro ebay dealers have also to take into account taxes and all the stuff. Just selling some used stuff on ebay is the easy job.

This is not ebay, this is about selling goods in general.

Last edited by Nicolas06; 08-08-2016 at 01:04 PM.
08-08-2016, 03:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
But basically once you start to sell thing, your are really a merchant and should think and behave like one.
That's the problem. I'm not a merchant. I just sell my stuff I don't need any more. Occasionally.
Ones upon a time ebay was online garage sale place. I kind of miss those days, as a buyer too. I would love to filter listings not only by country, but by sellers as well. It's extremely annoying to search. Did you notice that now even with filters ebay place chinese crap as "sponsored listing"? This is my time they are taking because I search longer.
It's not in ebay interest to separate "old" and "new" styles.
Actually, I would love to see two separate ebays: for merchants, and for the garage sellers.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the pictures of damaged lens and box.
08-09-2016, 07:26 AM   #11
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly, this buyer can stomp on the box saying it wasn't sturdy enough to protect the lens. I've learned thru others to take photos of the packing process of anything I sell, and always request a delivery confirmation receipt. Another lesson for those buying, is to take photos of a damaged box while the delivery guy (postal, UPS, etc.) is standing there!

Lana, I hope you come thru this intact, as you are so honest and caring in selling, that you deserve it going in your favor.
08-09-2016, 07:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Carol. Yep, I should have taken pictures before closing the box. It's a good reminder when dealing with lenses.
So far the buyer doesn't respond to my request to show the damage.
08-09-2016, 07:48 AM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The buyer's lack of response kind of tells me, the "damage" was fake and he just wanted something for nothing. If I received something damaged, I would follow up quickly, in order to get it resolved.

What happens to his "claim", if he refuses to send the photos?
08-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
What happens to his "claim", if he refuses to send the photos?
I will report him to ebay customer service.
08-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Lana, that's good information to know. I'm sorry you have to go thru this.