Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2016, 07:43 AM   #16
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
No, you haven't. Those aren't related to me at all. The last camera I ordered was from B&H (not in 2015) and I've never had any stolen items. The email to which I'm referring, to you at Adorama, were about incorrect listings (images to text) of Pentax lens hoods on your website not about damaged/stolen items or packaging.
I'm sorry, but I only have emails in my history from one person by the name of 'Mee'. Which was a complaint about damaged packaging and a stolen item - August 2015. If that was not you then I apologise but it is not possible to ID your complaint without additional information.

If you were previously dealing with Jorge, then it was a used department issue.

You posted earlier in the thread: "I've had a few issues with shipping (packaging) from Adorama. Boxes that look like they were used as a football in a pro game, poor internal packaging.. when I've complained on these occurrences, their rep thanks me for letting them know.. yet then it happens again".
We are shipping hundreds of thousands of orders every month; while I do not pack them personally, if you communicate with me directly, quoting your order number, sending me pictures, I can and do look into every complaint.

08-18-2016, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #17
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,301
I would recommend anyone dissatisfied with how any shipments are packed, is to take photos immediately after opening them, & sending them to the company; in this case to Helen. Photos speak louder than words!
08-18-2016, 08:02 AM - 3 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 859
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I'm sorry, but I only have emails in my history from one person by the name of 'Mee'. Which was a complaint about damaged packaging and a stolen item - August 2015. If that was not you then I apologise but it is not possible to ID your complaint without additional information.

If you were previously dealing with Jorge, then it was a used department issue.

You posted earlier in the thread: "I've had a few issues with shipping (packaging) from Adorama. Boxes that look like they were used as a football in a pro game, poor internal packaging.. when I've complained on these occurrences, their rep thanks me for letting them know.. yet then it happens again".
We are shipping hundreds of thousands of orders every month; while I do not pack them personally, if you communicate with me directly, quoting your order number, sending me pictures, I can and do look into every complaint.
Helen, as for myself I'm very satisfied with the responses I received from you and will absolutely be purchasing from Adorama again as I mentioned in my email to you.(sent along with the picture of the C Stand packaging).

Thanks! It's a wonderful resource to have such involved representatives from two of the largest on-line camera vendors here.
08-18-2016, 08:33 AM - 3 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter
Rupert's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Texas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 25,123
Anyone that deals with internet business is destined to have some difficulty from time to time. Confusion, crossed wiring on communications, or an unsatisfactory transaction.

However, we know from experience over time who can be trusted and who can't. Adorama is a trustworthy site, as much as B&H or Amazon and to insinuate otherwise is a disservice to those there that work hard to keep our trust.

I purchased a lot of gear at Adorama when I had my little downtown studio...as well as many prints from their most excellent printing dept. My dealings were always top notch and there was always someone there to help me when needed.

We all know that situations "vary". I submit that customers vary more than Adorama or B&H...or Amazon. Having been in a service occupation for many years I found plenty of "customer variation". Fortunately, owning my own small business, I could "vary" my services accordingly.

Regards!

08-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,594
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Anyone that deals with internet business is destined to have some difficulty from time to time. Confusion, crossed wiring on communications, or an unsatisfactory transaction.

However, we know from experience over time who can be trusted and who can't. Adorama is a trustworthy site, as much as B&H or Amazon and to insinuate otherwise is a disservice to those there that work hard to keep our trust.

I purchased a lot of gear at Adorama when I had my little downtown studio...as well as many prints from their most excellent printing dept. My dealings were always top notch and there was always someone there to help me when needed.

We all know that situations "vary". I submit that customers vary more than Adorama or B&H...or Amazon. Having been in a service occupation for many years I found plenty of "customer variation". Fortunately, owning my own small business, I could "vary" my services accordingly.

Regards!
For me, I'm not in the slightest saying there is something wrong with Adorama per se.

However, given the statistics of them shipping thousands and thousands of packages, and the relative small amount of transactions I do with them, it seems statistically significant that the packages I have gotten, have been packed substandard on occasion.

Am I unlucky? Is it something I am doing wrong? Do they not like me? Hardly.

It seems that Adorama also uses the Post Office for some of their deliveries, when that is not clear when ordering.
Could that be what happens, to cause the packaging to look like it's been trashed?

In contrast, you can see the things that B&H tries when it comes to their shipping.
Their use of the "little-green-custom-blown-up-padding" is an innovative solution.

Over the years you can see that B&H has multiple mechanisms of packing that are custom to what they are shipping.
I have seen a great deal of variance in how things are actually packed.
It's as if someone at B&H actually thinks about what is being packed.

I've not seen the same level of "packing innovation" from Adorama.

Hopefully, the succinct way I am describing my opinions can be taken as they are.
I like Adorama. I order from them, and they are a vendor I use.

However, knowing they are both based in New York, have essentially the same inventory, and their prices are comparable, why *do* I use B&H more?

It comes down to the little things that B&H seems to care *more* about.
I won't trash Adorama, but they have some issues that seem to be chronic.

They pop up now and then, and Helen is effective in dealing with it.
08-18-2016, 10:42 AM - 1 Like   #21
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
...it seems statistically significant that the packages I have gotten, have been packed substandard on occasion.

I won't trash Adorama, but they have some issues that seem to be chronic.
Any order number can ID instantly the packer responsible. We use that information to identify which packers need additional training.

Each picture we receive of a badly packed item helps us better understand changes that we could/should make to the packing procedure/materials.

BTW we use a wide variety of carriers, FedEx, UPS, USPS, MessengerForYou, Manna, Mail Innovations and more. When an order is placed online, the carrier is selected by the shipping department at the time when the order ships out. There are a variety of determining factors; item weight, item size, item value, delivery location, delivery speed requested. When the order is picked up by the carrier, we provide them with the time frame.

If you would like a specific carrier to be selected you need to place your order over the phone with a salesman by emailing sales@adorama.com or by calling 800-223-2500. You can request the carrier of your choice and the salesman will manually select it for you. (USPS can only be selected if the order has a value of $195 or less).
08-18-2016, 11:55 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
LaurenOE's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,594
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
Any order number can ID instantly the packer responsible. We use that information to identify which packers need additional training.

Each picture we receive of a badly packed item helps us better understand changes that we could/should make to the packing procedure/materials.

BTW we use a wide variety of carriers, FedEx, UPS, USPS, MessengerForYou, Manna, Mail Innovations and more. When an order is placed online, the carrier is selected by the shipping department at the time when the order ships out. There are a variety of determining factors; item weight, item size, item value, delivery location, delivery speed requested. When the order is picked up by the carrier, we provide them with the time frame.

If you would like a specific carrier to be selected you need to place your order over the phone with a salesman by emailing sales@adorama.com or by calling 800-223-2500. You can request the carrier of your choice and the salesman will manually select it for you. (USPS can only be selected if the order has a value of $195 or less).
Thanks Helen for your response.

Think for a second. You are confirming and suggesting...

1) You use many different shippers, and do not have a consistent shipper to actually ship out your product. In contrast, B&H consistently uses UPS. In having a preferred shipping vendor, and with a top tier one, you can maintain quality control, and work with them to achieve higher quality and customer satisfaction. With your method, we as the customer then have to determine who actually shipped to us, and potentially take up a claim with them - especially if Adorama claims things were packed properly. The nightmare of inconsistency is therefore transferred to your customers.

2) You want the customer to work with you to "remedy" issues, instead of being "proactive" in anticipating problems. Again, you are transferring your quality control issues to your customers.

3) You advocate calling or e-mailing to assure we choose the "right" shipper and tell the salesperson. You are advocating not using the more cost effective method of using on-line transactions. By advocating this method, you increase the cost of doing business, and that cost is also transferred to your customers - both in product cost and inconvenience.

4) You advocate training after identification of the problems. Again, this is no proactive. It's reactive.

There is a customer service paradigm that Adorama seems to be missing here.

Helen, you are a great fixer, but someday, I hope you and the powers that be at Adorama sit down and really break down some of your issues. Adorama TV makes a ton of videos about products. Maybe it's time for some corporate produced training?

Every few years this kind of email thread happens here on Pentax Forums.
Are we unique? What about over in Nikon/Canon/Sony land?

I try not to pour gas on the fire, but I've read a few of these threads and seen them blow up.

Adorama is a great place, you guys just have a reoccurring issue in certain key areas.
08-18-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
csa's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Montana mountains
Posts: 9,301
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
It seems that Adorama also uses the Post Office for some of their deliveries, when that is not clear when ordering.
If an item shows simply "Free Shipping"; rather than Free Expedited shipping, 2-3 shipping; then it will use the post office. I find it's worth paying for the expedited shipping so that you can get it UPS/FedEx.

I think B&H uses the same shipping way, when a product says "Free Standard Shipping".


Last edited by csa; 08-18-2016 at 12:08 PM.
08-18-2016, 12:31 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2015
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 859
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
If an item shows simply "Free Shipping"; rather than Free Expedited shipping, 2-3 shipping; then it will use the post office. I find it's worth paying for the expedited shipping so that you can get it UPS/FedEx.

I think B&H uses the same shipping way, when a product says "Free Standard Shipping".
No, at least B&H doesn't. I've received a dozen or more shipments this year via UPS and all "free shipping". Once in awhile I'll get one USPS but it's been predominantly UPS.
08-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #25
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Thanks Helen for your response.

Think for a second. You are confirming and suggesting...

1) You use many different shippers, and do not have a consistent shipper to actually ship out your product. In contrast, B&H consistently uses UPS. In having a preferred shipping vendor, and with a top tier one, you can maintain quality control, and work with them to achieve higher quality and customer satisfaction. With your method, we as the customer then have to determine who actually shipped to us, and potentially take up a claim with them - especially if Adorama claims things were packed properly. The nightmare of inconsistency is therefore transferred to your customers.

2) You want the customer to work with you to "remedy" issues, instead of being "proactive" in anticipating problems. Again, you are transferring your quality control issues to your customers.

3) You advocate calling or e-mailing to assure we choose the "right" shipper and tell the salesperson. You are advocating not using the more cost effective method of using on-line transactions. By advocating this method, you increase the cost of doing business, and that cost is also transferred to your customers - both in product cost and inconvenience.

4) You advocate training after identification of the problems. Again, this is no proactive. It's reactive.

There is a customer service paradigm that Adorama seems to be missing here.

Helen, you are a great fixer, but someday, I hope you and the powers that be at Adorama sit down and really break down some of your issues. Adorama TV makes a ton of videos about products. Maybe it's time for some corporate produced training?

Every few years this kind of email thread happens here on Pentax Forums.
Are we unique? What about over in Nikon/Canon/Sony land?

I try not to pour gas on the fire, but I've read a few of these threads and seen them blow up.

Adorama is a great place, you guys just have a reoccurring issue in certain key areas.
1).I think maybe I was unclear. UPS IS our preferred and most used shipper. However, for example, UPS does not deliver to PO boxes. Therefore USPS needs to be used. In addition, were we to be shipping for example a single battery, it would be comparatively costly for a customer to use UPS over another shipper. B&H also use shippers other than UPS when the situations requires it.

2). We do indeed pay great attention to quality control in the packing department; we carry out random checks - each packer has a camera over his or her packing station and the recordings are viewed on a regular basis.

3). We do use what we consider to be the most cost-effective AND most reliable shipper for each order. But for example, if a customer particularly favors FedEx over UPS, or prefers to use their own account for shipping, then we will accommodate this. However, this request would need to be called in.

4). Every packer goes through extensive training before commencing work in the warehouse; however we recognise that processes may be misunderstood or forgotten. We provide regular training updates as a matter of course, but if we note a pattern of lack of attention to detail, then it would be addressed.
08-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #26
mee
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 6,700
QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
I'm sorry, but I only have emails in my history from one person by the name of 'Mee'. Which was a complaint about damaged packaging and a stolen item - August 2015. If that was not you then I apologise but it is not possible to ID your complaint without additional information.

If you were previously dealing with Jorge, then it was a used department issue.

You posted earlier in the thread: "I've had a few issues with shipping (packaging) from Adorama. Boxes that look like they were used as a football in a pro game, poor internal packaging.. when I've complained on these occurrences, their rep thanks me for letting them know.. yet then it happens again".
We are shipping hundreds of thousands of orders every month; while I do not pack them personally, if you communicate with me directly, quoting your order number, sending me pictures, I can and do look into every complaint.
You offered me a 10 dollar coupon off my next 75 dollar or higher purchase from Adorama for the damage I showed you in images back in 2015. I communicate with my real name in email. Not this fake handle.. my name isn't really 'mee.'

That isn't the issue. The issue still on the table is the one you just dismissed AGAIN -- your website incorrectly labels products to images. And no one there seems to give a flip about it. Even with visual proof (on page one of this thread.. on a post to which you just responded). Which makes me question your company as a whole. You don't need an ID to see your website mislists the products I've shown you in images.

While I value the fact that Adorama has someone (rather polite) on the payroll to trawl the internet and handle user complaints/make the company look sharper, you're not (and no one yet at your company is) handling this issue. I'm trying to help you out here and you're refusing to be helped! It's incredibly frustrating.
08-19-2016, 07:27 AM   #27
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The issue still on the table is the one you just dismissed AGAIN -- your website incorrectly labels products to images.
I have not dismissed it. When you raised this as still being an issue in this thread earlier this week I notified the web team immediately. Had I been made aware eg by email that this had not been fixed when you last reported it, I would have followed up.

Thank you for raising it in this thread. It has now been fixed and will show up correctly at the next feed.
08-19-2016, 11:13 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
micromacro's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,519
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
No, at least B&H doesn't. I've received a dozen or more shipments this year via UPS and all "free shipping".
The same here. All my BH purchases with free shipping were by UPS.
08-19-2016, 12:40 PM - 5 Likes   #29
bxf
Pentaxian
bxf's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lisbon area
Posts: 1,287
(The following is a general statement and is not aimed at anyone in particular)

I am sure it is safe to say that every day of each year, somebody somewhere in the world receives something that does not function as expected. Some of the time it will be "YOU". And just because it happened to "YOU", it does not necessarily mean that the manufacturer/merchant/transporter is sub-standard. Not every failure is a due to negligence. Merde happens.

Repeated failures on the part of one entity are a different consideration, but there's no need to go into attack mode due to simple failures. Perfection is rare in this world.
08-20-2016, 12:34 PM   #30
Adorama Camera Representative
Helen Oster's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 550
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
If an item shows simply "Free Shipping"; rather than Free Expedited shipping, 2-3 shipping; then it will use the post office.
Actually, that is not the case; it depends upon a variety of factors including size, weight and value of the item. We actually use UPS for 'free' shipping more often than we use USPS!
Closed Thread

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adorama, business, email, friends, gear, inventory, issue, issues, manager, page, post, price, product, store, thread, time, web
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Lens Day" at B&H - 12/3 - 12/5 (16-85mm, 17-50mm, 100mm macro) Adam Pentax Price Watch 5 12-04-2015 01:04 AM
B&H UPS "sure post" csa Ask B&H Photo! 9 11-10-2014 01:39 PM
K-30 Marked as "discontinued" at B&H Adam Pentax K-30 & K-50 7 09-06-2013 07:09 PM
News Changes in "Ask B&H" forum MRRiley Site Suggestions and Help 6 06-06-2011 06:15 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top