Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do enjoy Olympics, about the only sport competitions I ever watch. Among things I do not watch or do not enjoy.
1. rhythmic gymnastics and synchronized swimming;
2. requirement for music during women's floor exercise;
3. golf (it's a game not a sport).
4. medal counting and what country is "winning." I cheer for the American athletes, but what I enjoy is competitors achieving a personal best.
5. TOO MANY DIFFERENT SWIMMING EVENTS. Why should swimmers be able to collect 7 or more medals at one Olympics while shot-putters, discus and javelin throwers, etc. can at best get only one?

08-14-2016, 06:59 AM   #32
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
2. Requirement for music during women's floor exercise........

I agree; sort of. Being that for nearly all contestants it's just background music it probably should be eliminated.
There are, however, always a few that actually perform to the music and in those rare cases the music can turn a great routine into a spectacular one.
08-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
2. Requirement for music during women's floor exercise........

I agree; sort of. Being that for nearly all contestants it's just background music it probably should be eliminated.
There are, however, always a few that actually perform to the music and in those rare cases the music can turn a great routine into a spectacular one.
Sometimes the athlete has the skill and grace of a dancer, and the end of a routine can bring a smile because it is "sassy" or "cute." But it is an athletic competition, and I find the music and need for a pretty smile at the end rather sexist.
08-14-2016, 08:49 AM   #34
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I hadn't thought of that, but you're right.

08-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
Sometimes the athlete has the skill and grace of a dancer, and the end of a routine can bring a smile because it is "sassy" or "cute." But it is an athletic competition, and I find the music and need for a pretty smile at the end rather sexist.
Do the male gymnasts use music for the floor exercise?
08-14-2016, 09:20 AM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On Balance Beam, why do the athletes wave their arms, flip their wrists and wiggle their hips between every stunt?

Last edited by monochrome; 08-14-2016 at 11:27 AM.
08-14-2016, 09:41 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
the worlds loudest whisperer
reaching maximum volume, without using your vocal chords, only with your breath? that would be awesome! 10/10 would watch :-)

08-14-2016, 09:52 AM   #38
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Do the male gymnasts use music for the floor exercise?
No.
08-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

RedBut you get to see such great TV. Like Hope Solo losing a game.

Last edited by Parallax; 08-14-2016 at 11:00 AM.
08-14-2016, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chris
08-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #41
Closed Account

Original Poster
Loudest whisperer, smallest giant and can now add Low Jumper thanks to @ChrisPlatt.
08-14-2016, 11:02 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
For me, it is the walking race events. If you want to go fast, RUN people !!! The worlds fastest walker has the same status for me as the worlds loudest whisperer, or the worlds smallest giant. Does anybody else have an event that irks them?
I agree, this event is completely ridiculous, not to mention a very un-natural movement, it has to be very bad for the musculo-skeletal system.

I really can't be bothered with the Olympics for several reasons.

1. Since at least the London Olympics (which were shamefully badly organised and commercial) it's just a behemoth that consumes money and gives very little in return.
2. A lot of activities shouldn't be included. Golf, for a start, which isn't even a sport. Beyond that, anything that has a large amount of coverage and tournaments outside the Olympics, such as basketball, golf (again), tennis, etc, really shouldn't be included as they only serve to further bloat the whole thing.
3. Russian junkie athletes who should have been excluded if the IOC had any balls.
08-15-2016, 03:01 AM   #43
Veteran Member

For those of you fellow Europeans who remember the TV show "Games without frontiers": I enjoy some repetitions from the 70s in a German culture TV channel. That's fun! Olympics? Nope...
08-15-2016, 03:09 AM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know about individual sports that should be included or excluded, I just hope the athletes are clean this time around, but kind of doubt it. Most of the track and field stars have proved to be dopers over time. I just have a feeling that they are getting better at it.
08-15-2016, 03:24 AM   #45
Closed Account

Original Poster
Athletes are getting so much money these days, there is no incentive to be clean. Maybe the old saying needs to change from " winners are grinners " to
" winners are sinners !!! "