Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-15-2016, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Agony of Defeat. Whatever happened to...

For us old timers. Years ago in the United States there used to be a program called "The Wide World of Sports". Since this was long before cable TV it was for many of us an introduction to various sports all around the world. Everything from Figure 8 automobile racing (yes they used to race cars around a figure 8 track in Islip Long island) to figure skating, Formula 1 racing, gymnastics etc.. It ran Saturday afternoon every week,

The opening intro talked about "The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat." Well the agony of defeat was a shot clip of a Yugoslavian ski jumper falling at the bottom of the jump. The man became an icon on America even though he never knew how famous he was until some 20 years later when he was invited to The Wide World of Sport's 20 Anniversary and Muhammed Ali asked for his autograph.

Well he has done pretty go for himself. Link to article:

Whatever happened to 'agony of defeat' ski jumper?

Last edited by gaweidert; 08-16-2016 at 06:25 PM.
08-15-2016, 05:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, Wide World of Sports was a show we all grew up on and loved. I can remember seeing motorcycle racing as well. The covered moto cross from US and Europe as well as flat track and even ice racing. They covered the ski season every year as well as surfing events. It was, IMO, the best sports show ever. Of course you can find every sport today on cable and online but back then, when most people only had the 3 major network channels, Wide World of Sports was a big deal. Everybody watched it and it had incredibly high ratings. Back in the 60's and 70's, it was the Wide World of Sports crew from ABC that broadcast the Olympics every 4 years. I remember how weird it was watching an Olympics the first time without Jim McKay as the anchor.

The opening of every show showed that poor ski jumper and so did the opening of many Olympic broadcasts.
08-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What happened to the days when the actual sporting events got more airtime during a given hour than the commercials.
What happened to the days when it only took 2½ - 3 hours to play a 1 hour football game? Now they can't do in 4 or more.
08-16-2016, 09:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's one of the reasons why I no longer watch TV and just stream what I choose.

08-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympic coverage has been a joke. They are more interested in Phelps frown while waiting for his event than actually showing us the sports. SMH.

M
08-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Formula 1 racing gymnastics
Formula 1 racing gymnastics? I'd watch that.

---------- Post added 08-16-16 at 07:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
Olympic coverage has been a joke. They are more interested in Phelps frown while waiting for his event than actually showing us the sports. SMH.
In primetime on NBC, yes.

Switch over to the other NBC owned stations and you'll see all the other sports. I've seen everything from Archery and Fencing to Shotgun shooting and rapid fire pistol matches.

That said, the boxing this year is clearly rigged. New rules in place give the judges the opportunity to let win who they want to win regardless of landed punches, defense, or technique. And the new rules also block any petitions to the judging. It is a ripoff. I've seen a couple matches where the loser was clearly the winner, landing way more punches and avoiding their opponents. It is so off that I just turned the broadcast off. What is the point in these matches when the judges seem to have already conspired to give the victory to their pick (regardless of performance).

Just have them skip the fights and award the medals.