Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 07:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
ASUS Secure Delete died after W10 update

I have a newish ASUS M32CD desktop PC that has the Secure Delete feature to erase files. After the big Windows update of the other day, it no longer deletes - error message saying file xxx can't be deleted. I can do a simple regular deletion, but not this. I read that W may erase some programs without notice (mainly back in November's big update) such as Speccy and others as incompatible, even though when reinstalled they work fine...

08-17-2016, 02:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Microsoft think they know better than you what you need, in fact you don't own the operating system, you simply pay for the privilege of using it
08-17-2016, 07:38 AM   #3
bxf
Veteran Member

The first thing to try would be to reinstall the Secure Delete software. If you don't have it as a separate file, you should be able to download it from somewhere. Perhaps you can start here: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1010536
08-17-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I read that W may erase some programs without notice
I have a program called nircmd. Essentially a simplified command line program. It disappears from my HD about twice a year for no apparent reason.
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
The first thing to try would be to reinstall the Secure Delete software. If you don't have it as a separate file, you should be able to download it from somewhere. Perhaps you can start here: https://www.asus.com/support/faq/1010536
If that doesn't work try Eraser. It's free and I've used it for years.
https://eraser.heidi.ie/download/

08-17-2016, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I have a program called nircmd. Essentially a simplified command line program. It disappears from my HD about twice a year for no apparent reason.
Many of the nirsoft programs are rated as malware as they do low level stuff or pose security threats such as accessing stored passwords or protected registry entries. You have to add exceptions to you virus/malware/internet security programs to leave them alone. Some browser blockers will even block the nirsoft website as a malware site.

If they disappear check you virus quarantine list and restore them while adding an exception.

As far as SecureDelete goes you probably need to wait until ASUS updates it to be Windows 10 "safe".
08-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Many of the nirsoft programs are rated as malware as they do low level stuff or pose security threats such as accessing stored passwords or protected registry entries.
I didn't know that. I wasn't sure whether it was Windows or my AV that was zapping it.
08-17-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
bxf
Veteran Member

Many of the nirsoft programs are rated as malware
I've been using several of his programs for years and never had such issues, to my recollection.

You have to add exceptions to you virus/malware/internet security programs to leave them alone.
Or find another AV program

08-17-2016, 10:31 AM   #8

Or find another AV program
Some AV programs like Avast scan unknown files for potential threats (analyzes what the program does). You can turn this off. Or send the file for further analysis or add it to an exception. I'd rather have a few false positives rather than rely on known signatures which may not exist yet from something new.
08-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I looked around for it online. Not finding it, even on Asus page. And/or, I can't read Chinese....

As far as SecureDelete goes you probably need to wait until ASUS updates it to be Windows 10 "safe".
I emailed them...
08-17-2016, 03:06 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

Anyone trying to manage Windows devices should download the FREE Sysinternals tools (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545021.aspx) provided my Microsoft. Speaking as a person who supported Windows for the last 29 years in corporate environments, these tools (that came out in support of Windows NT) are/were a absolute requirement. I think that all of these tools should be available by default, but MS makes you go out and get them.

One of the tools is sdelete.exe/sdelete64.exe a nice little ditty that does a good job. AV vendors and MS will not delete the SysInternals Suite, since one of their own created them. They get periodic updates so they are nice. Along with the tools included in the now defunct Windows Resource Kits they make manageing Windows much easier. This suite of tools saved my bacon multiple times.
08-17-2016, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, Jackie at ASUS CS did not know what Asus Secure Delete was ("a program?"), so I am for the moment ignoring her advice about refreshing the BIOS, etc.
08-17-2016, 06:08 PM   #12
bxf
Veteran Member

Well, Jackie at ASUS CS did not know what Asus Secure Delete was ("a program?"), so I am for the moment ignoring her advice about refreshing the BIOS, etc.
08-18-2016, 02:20 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
After I explained what Asus Secure Delete was, she today suggested...

"For the ASUS bundled program, I’d suggest you to do a System Reset.

Before doing the System Reset, please be sure to back up all of your files on a separate storage device as this will delete all files from your Desktop PC. "

List of instructions followed, including:

7. Select Just remove my files.
08-18-2016, 03:02 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

maybe fill out a support request form on their website see where that gets you, too hard to find a download, eraser is a good alternative.

---------- Post added 19-08-16 at 08:31 AM ----------

After the big Windows update of the other day, it no longer deletes - error message saying file xxx can't be deleted.
this might reflect the changes in .Net Framework as the update apparently made changes to .Net, maybe ask Asus support what .Net secure delete needs and install that,

another way is to uninstall all .Net, reboot, and install the latest from Microsoft https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=17851