Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 09:21 PM - 10 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
10,000 posts........

A milestone for me. I wonder if it is a good one? Surely a sign I spend too much time talking to people on a computer rather than taking images.

I thought I would re-post my first post here but cannot seem to find it, the search engine will only display 300 pages and that is not enough. I did find the first thread I started back on July 6, 2010:

QuoteQuote:
I recently picked up a Takumar Bayonet 135mm f/2.5 on ebay but it did not come with a hood. There seem to be exterior threads on the lens that I assume would be for the lens hood as well as the interior threads for filters & such.

Does anyone know of a source for this hood? Or if my assumption on the threads is correct?

I'm not willing to spend a ton for a hood for $50 lens but it would be nice to have.

Thanks!
Of course that lens has a built in hood, I was just too new to even notice it. But Mike Cash was quick to step in and politely set me straight. Thank you Mike, I miss your wisdom here.

Back then I was cruising e-bay looking for Takumars and other inexpensive glass to go on my new k-x. I ended up with a full set of S-M-C Takumars from 20mm to 400mm. Thank you RioRico for all your advice and quirky but useful posts on how to get the most out of a lens that cost less than a pizza. I miss your wisdom and advice.

But things change, most noticeably I began selling pictures and a hobby gradually became something else. The Takumars are rarely used now as the fun hobby has become more serious work and getting a shot more important than having fun with an old lens. It has been a fun ride and who would have thought 6 years ago that I would have just finished my third art show of the year and have three more to go before year end. That I have work in several galleries and sell on Amazon? That I have my own website and sell stock images through agencies. That I have images on several book covers and in the Wall Street Journal. Be careful what path you go down and if you love photography as a hobby beware of changing it into a job.

Who would have thought as I was cruising e-bay for bargain lenses in 2010 that someday I would own a new DFA 24-70 and DFA 150-450? Who would have thought then that Pentax would last long enough to actually sell those lenses or make the K-1 to put them on?

The K-1 seems so many miles ahead of the k-x that I thought was magical back then, though perhaps the k-x was more fun. Pentax itself has changed so much as well. From the quirky old company that many felt was going to close up to something that might give the big guns a real run. When I first joined this forum much of the talk was how long our digital bodies would last after Pentax closed. And what brand we might move to. Then Ricoh stepped in and everything changed. And continues to change. I've no idea where the Pentax story will go but it does have a bright future that did not exist only 6 years ago. Thanks Ricoh for breathing new life into a beloved brand.

And thanks to Pentax Forums, and Adam, and everyone here that have become friends over the years, for 6 years of education, inspiration and community.

08-16-2016, 09:28 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
10,000 posts........

Definitely worth it John !! I have read many of your posts since joining up, and found them to be both good humored and informative. Now, on towards the next 10,000.
08-16-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well done, John, people should also click on the link and check out your polished portfolio! :-)
08-17-2016, 07:19 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

applauseapplauseapplause John, a big Congratulations on reaching the 10,000th milestone! Your posts are ones I always go to, to read. They are always informative, and interesting. Members like you, make this place the friendly place we all love!

08-17-2016, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought I would re-post my first post here but cannot seem to find it,
If you remember any of the wording of the post try an advanced search your user name in the user field and as much of a specific phrase or sentence as you can remember in the Keyword field.
08-17-2016, 12:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't recall my first post here..it was so long ago. Done a lot of posting since then, well known for my big mouth!

I don't recall that first post but I still have the mail from Adan welcoming me here from being banned at DPR and telling me and my squirrels are welcome here...and we've been here ever since!

Congratulations on your milestone and look forward to many more happy posts from you to come!

Regards!
08-17-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
bxf
Veteran Member

My sarcastic (i.e. normal) side is instructing me to make a crack about some people having too much to say.... But in all fairness, I must sadly admit that I find your posts totally worth reading, so I'm in a situation where I need to restrain my evil nature.

I feel deprived. Oh well, maybe next time.

Congratulations!

08-17-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How much of a cut are we in for here?

I checked you site. Very nice photographs. Way to go in marketing your shots.
08-17-2016, 03:36 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
@Jatrax, your thoughtful contemplative post is a worthy representative of your fine contribution over the years.

Interesting to contemplate how different it might have been, but for the revival of Pentax. There may be some cachet about an orphan brand (Konica? Yashica? Praktica?) but ...
08-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Well done...but you must get out more
08-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
A milestone for me.
Congratulations on achieving this posting level.

Surely a sign I spend too much time talking to people on a computer rather than taking images.
It's easy, just use my excuse... I have the forum on in the "background", while I'm working on photo editing and cataloguing images.
08-21-2016, 07:15 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I have the forum on in the "background", while I'm working on photo editing and cataloguing images.
That is also my excuse, though it wears thin when I spend more time here than in Lightroom

Thanks for all the kind words everyone, I did not realize anyone actually read my posts
08-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Thanks for all your helpful posts and congrats on 10000...
08-21-2016, 12:57 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
though it wears thin when I spend more time here than in Lightroom
Get a big monitor and then have both apps open simultaneously, they at least get equal time then.
08-21-2016, 06:20 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Get a big monitor and then have both apps open simultaneously,
I've got a dual 27" setup. One for Lightroom, the other for browser and Photoshop and whatever. I always look like I'm working