Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-31-2016, 12:27 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've always loved the looks of the classic British twins, but never owned one . The closest I came was when I nearly bought a '72 Triumph Bonneville 650. A little rough looking but seemed to run ok. I had just had my previous bike (Yam RD350) stolen, and needed some transportation, since I didn't have a car at the time. In the end I wasn't confident using the old Triumph as a daily driver, and just went with a simple and cheap Kawasaki KE250 enduro (street legal trail bike). I still wonder whatever became of the Bonnie 650...I had big plans!

08-31-2016, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Me on my Honda CBR1000F

09-01-2016, 05:39 PM   #48

Harley Davidson should be exempt as there are so few of them on the roads in relative terms.

They are classical icon and their deep note is a symphony of mechanical joy.

As for emissions they account for a poofteenth of nothing in global terms.
09-02-2016, 06:24 AM   #49
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ron, love your Honda! I had the 500 Turbo, and really loved it. Then went to a GoldWing.

09-03-2016, 01:28 AM - 1 Like   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
[HD] are classical icon and their deep note is a symphony of mechanical joy cacophony
Fixed it for you.
09-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Fixed it for you.
Hmm. I recall one reviewer describing it as an "industrial fart", which is no doubt a source of joy to some ears. Mind you, he was actually reviewing the M-G California, whose exhaust note he described as a "sonorous throb", by way of comparison.
09-03-2016, 06:24 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CypherOz Quote
As for emissions they account for a poofteenth of nothing in global terms.
Governments around the world are on the motorcycle warpath. Some places in Europe have banned bikes older than 10 years from the highway and in the US, bikes already have fewer emissions requirements than cars and there are efforts being made to make rules stricter. Bike motors are getting bigger and bigger and displacement is close to compact cars today. Bikes have been allowed to pollute more because from an engineering standpoint, there isn't the physical room to install the emissions devices a car has even though the engine is the same size so an OEM selling a tuner that defeats the already relaxed requirements isn't going to make the EPA very happy.

Tighter rules will make things tough on Harley because they rely on old school tradition to sell their bikes. Riders like the feel of the ride and sound of the big V twin. They CAN'T stop building that engine and survive IMO. Other manufacturers sell their bikes on performance so they have a lot of leeway in their design as long as they are quick. Riders don't care if their bike sounds like a sewing machine as long as it's fast.

09-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #53
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Riders don't care if their bike sounds like a sewing machine as long as it's fast.
Yep...but us old guys wouldn't own a bike that sounds like a sewing machine. I spent many hours rolling down the highways just admiring the sound of my old BSA/Triumphs. Didn't need a radio and headphones...no music was better than the sound coming from those pipes!

Regards!
09-05-2016, 07:11 AM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Now, if they'll only go after them for noise pollution, too!
then do them for pig ugly

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2016 at 02:13 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Governments around the world are on the motorcycle warpath. .....
they have knackered them in NZ with massive rego hikes. Can travel for miles here and not see any. Bikes used to be the cheap option

---------- Post added 6th Sep 2016 at 02:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
...... my previous bike (Yam RD350) ....
I still limp after i inserted the RD in the front of a mk3 Zephyr back in '74

Last edited by Transit; 09-06-2016 at 12:45 PM.
09-05-2016, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #55
Veteran Member

I've always loved the looks of the classic British twins, but never owned one . The closest I came was when I nearly bought a '72 Triumph Bonneville 650.
Paul, you missed a great bike....

Here is my story of my first bike....

My next door neighbor that was my age had a cousin that came to live with them from New York city. He was a stunningly handsome guy and the girls flocked around him. He was three years older than us and had a good job making decent money. He bought a new '59 Bonneville. About six months later he got a girl pregnant and her father was seriously threatening to kill him...and she was underage so he also faced legal problems.

We were all out on my back patio shooting hoops and he came over and wanted to know if anyone had any cash, he was dead broke and needed to get out of town and fast ...while leaving not a trace of his whereabouts.

Ride out on your bike! "Can't take a chance, they can trace me and lock me up."

How about selling it? About that time a cop car pulled up and knocked on my neighbors door.....we hid him in my storage/tool shed until they left. Urgency to catch the next bus out of town overcame him. I had a jar full of money I had been saving for a future car.....a little over $100. He took it and signed over his clear title. We rode it to the adjoining town and he caught a bus to who knows where.....and I rode it home alone. It was many years later before we heard form him......he was a stockbroker on Wall Street and filthy rich, so we learned.

My legs were a little short for the bike but I managed and kept it for about 2 years....it was a wonderful machine. Girls loved it too! Traded it for a later model and my love affair with British bikes never ended. Cheapest bike I ever owned!

Similar to this one, but with chrome fenders.
Name:  '59 Bonneville.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  158.4 KB

More here:
1959 Triumph Bonneville

Back in the day Dalios Triumph on Lancaster in Ft Worth was the place to be for bikers. I spent as much time there as I could.
Icon: Triumph Bonneville Beginnings | Motorcyclist

Great memories have been stirred in this thread!

Regards!
09-05-2016, 07:25 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Rupert,

Your 1959 Triumph Bonneville was the first year of that famous model. I'm impressed. BTW, great story.

Les
09-05-2016, 08:54 PM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Similar to this one, but with chrome fenders.
What a beauty! Great story, too. The 650 I was looking at was a bit rougher looking than that museum piece. Rust-colored primer, with actual rust here & there, along with the usual oil leaks. If I'd had backup transportation of some kind, I probably would have snagged it. The old Kawi 250 I ended up getting is now a bit of a minor classic, as far as older Japanese trail bikes are concerned. The longest trip I took on this bike was about 150 miles from the San Gorgonio Pass to Camarillo, Calif. It was more of an around-towner, not a freeway cruiser, but it did ok. Totally reliable & always fired up on the first kick (not my photo)

Last edited by paulh; 09-05-2016 at 09:02 PM.
09-05-2016, 09:21 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Your 1959 Triumph Bonneville was the first year of that famous model. I'm impressed. BTW, great story.
Thanks Les...I had all but forgotten that story...few people are interested in an old guys stories nowadays. It was a highlight in my youth to get such a machine....and such a deal!

The old Kawi 250 I ended up getting is now a bit of a minor classic,
I recall those...sleek bikes and extremely dependable....and fun! Clean and simple and they got the job done and done right!

If I can catch my breath I will tell you guys my Suzuki SP 370 story. It was later in life and was a fantastic machine! Close in performance to the 441 Victor and a sweet bike off road.

Regards!
09-06-2016, 07:24 AM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being a Brit and though I have never having owned or ridden a Harley, I have a soft spot for them. I think the world would not be a better place if legislation were to encourage the demise of their classic V twins.
My first bike (that I owned as opposed to rode) was a Triumph Tiger Cub with the high compression engine and high rise bars (easy rider was still being shown at the odd cinema) but also having what must have been an old car tyre on the back which gave very little grip and a front brake that undid a wheel nut when used. It also has a friction stop on the throttle that may have been intended for use as some sort of cruise control but maybe not.
It was stolen a few months into my ownership.

Then came cars but over the years I bought a BSA bantam and a Honda CG125 for commuting to work, a Honda VT250 which went too fast in the depths of winter and froze parts of me, a Honda NTV Revere (with aftermarket full fairing) which was the best built bike I ever owned and a couple of BMWs. After dropping my last BMW and having too much trouble righting it I gave up on motorcycling......though I have considered getting something small and light.....a moped!!! Maybe not.
Anyway here is a pic of my last ever bike....probably.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DiMAGE Z3  Photo 

Last edited by Skodadriver; 09-06-2016 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Spelling mistake.