Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 113 Likes Search this Thread
09-06-2016, 03:15 PM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Back on topic, what ever happened to DocWRM? He seemed to be a rather frequent poster on the forums a couple of years ago.. then just vanished.
That was the question in my mind the moment I started reading this thread.

09-06-2016, 03:45 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a possible explanation:
09-06-2016, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
+1 on RioRico...
And another +1 on RR: Knowledgeable and entertaining.

I've checked in on a couple of pals when they faded from the forum: both of them had just run out of energy for photography due to health issues. Both were touched that I had missed them.
09-07-2016, 08:01 AM   #64
Veteran Member

rbefly also dropped off the face of the earth.

09-07-2016, 05:56 PM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
You really must have loved her.
Having built a fancy new outhouse with three friends in Nemo, South Dakota this past May, I think Parallax was pulling some straight faced South Dakota humor………………. or wishing it on another troll on a current thread.
09-07-2016, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What happened to Ratmagiclady?

That guy from Finland who used to moderate P&R. I can't even remember his user name...

We don't have to ask what happened to rice...not even going to finish typing it...
I'm not really gone, I just got kind of discouraged about photo mostly from an eyesight problem. Also I guess before that I'd had extended computer problems, that meant I really couldn't do much more than fill memory cards and chatter, but I'm at least close enough to a working prescription that I just need to get myself shooting again.

Our friend from Finland I remember his real name but I've been fearing the worst for years. I'd been gathering mail-orderered things for him to send all at once, then there was talk of sickness and quiet.

Anyway, back today cause an email about the tenth anniversary came up and I was realizing I hadn't been on here in a while. It's kind of not really been bad: overall I've been getting more done, though that seems to mean more time either away from the machine doing physical things or dog-tired, maybe less kind of alert and stuck in a chair so much of a day.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-07-2016 at 06:08 PM.
09-07-2016, 06:20 PM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
back today cause an email about the tenth anniversary came up and I was realizing I hadn't been on here in a while.
Real glad you stopped by!

Too bad you missed all the K-1 ruckus, though--you'da loved it.

09-07-2016, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Veteran Member

I've been around here for several years and now and then I notice someone hasn't posted for a while, usually just figure they decided to move on and don't worry about it.

But I have wondered a few times about one...I had to go dig through the back pages to find the name, couldn't remember it, but I never knew what happened to a 16 year old kid called Yeatzee...amazing macro shots.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/126791-macro-yeatzees...ner-style.html

That's just one example, for those who never knew who he was...

I've wondered several times what happened to that guy, I was always very impressed by his macro shots, especially for a guy that young.

Most of the rest I just don't worry about I guess they just decided to move on...did see a couple of old names though...like eaglem, charliezap, slowpez...
09-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by dchemist Quote
Some of us aren't really gone... I'm mostly a lurker with little to contribute.
Pretty much describes me. Been lurking since the K-20ish days. Somewhy was compelled to sign in but still just lurk and soak it all in. Then there's the sticking part.
09-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Real glad you stopped by!

Too bad you missed all the K-1 ruckus, though--you'da loved it.
I did look in, actually, probably no way I could keep up with all that, though, Hope they're working out.
09-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #71
Pentaxian

Hiya RML, even though health issues are a bummer (I share your pain...) good to see ya now & then!

Jim
09-08-2016, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Veteran Member

Good thread! It is important to keep in mind that the people behind the typewritten words are real people with difficult, joyful, terrible, fascinating lives. Like pointed out earlier, this is just a tiny fragment of a whole.

I still miss @mtux ... It's been almost a year since I've seen him active here, or on Flickr or Facebook. Hopefully just busy with life! <3

Edit: Just checked his profile page here at PF - he was "active" 8/5/16. Not so long gone after all. :-)
09-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
Good thread! It is important to keep in mind that the people behind the typewritten words are real people with difficult, joyful, terrible, fascinating lives. Like pointed out earlier, this is just a tiny fragment of a whole.

I still miss @mtux ... It's been almost a year since I've seen him active here, or on Flickr or Facebook. Hopefully just busy with life! <3

Edit: Just checked his profile page here at PF - he was "active" 8/5/16. Not so long gone after all. :-)
Mtux was actually one of the people that sparked me thinking about this.
09-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #74

I ran a very large forum for a long time. The users there were all pretty intertwined in a lot of ways, they knew each other. It was a car community so there were a lot of close relations in the club. It was really weird because as the site owner I was often alerted to the death of the users.

It's just kind of a weird thing to have an active user, and then the next day they are dead. We also had a few deaths resulting from the same stupid negligence like not properly securing a car while it was up. That didn't happen often but it happened more than a few times over the course of 10-15 years.

Some people die, some move on... I always wondered what happened to some and I would often try contacting them as I was the only one able having their personal information and often time got no response back from them.

I actually wrote an article about this a bit back pertaining to our social connections today vs 20 years ago and how we experience death now in a different way, and how we really aren't prepared for it. I went into a lot more detail with the article, however to summarize it touched on Suicide and possible large spikes in Suicide because of these new connections and our lack of experience in dealing with that sort of loss on a mass scale, or humans putting less value on others lives as a coping mechanism.

Anyhow to answer your question OP, yes, I often wonder about people.

On the flip side, I've disappeared many times myself from various forums, chat programs etc where I knew hundreds of people. I logged back into my ICQ account from 15 years ago and had fun going through the old names of people I used to talk to daily.
09-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
I'm not really gone, I just got kind of discouraged about photo mostly from an eyesight problem. Also I guess before that I'd had extended computer problems, that meant I really couldn't do much more than fill memory cards and chatter, but I'm at least close enough to a working prescription that I just need to get myself shooting again.

Our friend from Finland I remember his real name but I've been fearing the worst for years. I'd been gathering mail-orderered things for him to send all at once, then there was talk of sickness and quiet.

Anyway, back today cause an email about the tenth anniversary came up and I was realizing I hadn't been on here in a while. It's kind of not really been bad: overall I've been getting more done, though that seems to mean more time either away from the machine doing physical things or dog-tired, maybe less kind of alert and stuck in a chair so much of a day.
RML It's so good to see you here again.

George