Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
the only forum member I wouldn't buy a beer
mine's a draught Castle lager

09-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
only forum member I wouldn't buy a beer.
OK Then it is your Wally.
09-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used to be fairly active on this forum. But those were the first 3 or so years owning my first slr, a k-x. Since then, I've learned pretty much all I need to know about the cameras I use, how to use them for my purposes and most importantly, lenses. Which ones to use and why: distortion, field of view, depth of field, construction, bokeh, etc., etc., etc. I personally joined a forum for information. Once I got the information I needed, I realized I began to ask questions that no one. knew the answer to. On here, or otherwise. So I kind of drifted off to continue my own journey of finding out obscure bits of information and to learn through trial and error.
09-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #79
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by outsider Quote
I realized I began to ask questions that no one. knew the answer to. On here, or otherwise. So I kind of drifted off to continue my own journey of finding out obscure bits of information and to learn through trial and error.

I would love to hear some of these questions, and I'm sure that the droves more knowledgeable than me probably would too! The worst thing we can become is stagnant.

09-10-2016, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #80
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
RML It's so good to see you here again.

George
Err, hi. Actually I haven't been too far gone, at least lurkingwise, though it'd been a while for even that too just cause my little workshop compy (where I spend most of my online time) could only have so many tabs open at a time. (Turns out a memory card was failing, I think: finally went out in a thunderstorm, so had to replace. ) Anyway, mostly was only posting to car -related threads occasionally cause I've been actually turning a lot more wrenches than focusing rings recently. And that's different. Actually had a pretty good run of health, so less time kind of stuck in a chair all day. Often means I'm pretty pooped by the time I sit down.

I ought to see if I can motivate self to process this film backlog sitting upstairs.

Hey, speaking of me having been inactive through the full-frame thing, Gotta see if Pentax has come out with like a new 85 or 77 lens yet.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-10-2016 at 10:27 AM.
09-21-2016, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I think this is a great topic for a thread
This definitely gets an A for originality.
Definitely!

I am a member of many forums and I guess if I died, no one would know since my wife doesn't know any of my login details for them (me being the 'IT expert' in the house).

BTW, possibly OT but does anyone know why Rupert was banned, or is that taboo? I always thought he was a pretty benign poster and good hearted when it came to upgrading other people's account status?
09-21-2016, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #82
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote

BTW, possibly OT but does anyone know why Rupert was banned, or is that taboo? I always thought he was a pretty benign poster and good hearted when it came to upgrading other people's account status?

Well, he has his run-ins with mods, right?

IIRC, he was once banned by DPR for answering a poster's question about how to clean a sensor. He told them to go to a car wash and use a pressure hose. Rupert says the gentleman actually attempted this.

09-21-2016, 10:33 PM   #83
Pentaxian

Does he? I can't say I have noticed but then I mostly only came across him in the K-1 pics thread.

IIRC, he was once banned by DPR for answering a poster's question about how to clean a sensor. He told them to go to a car wash and use a pressure hose. Rupert says the gentleman actually attempted this.
Plainly, that poster had no common sense.
09-22-2016, 03:32 AM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
But I have wondered a few times about one...I had to go dig through the back pages to find the name, couldn't remember it, but I never knew what happened to a 16 year old kid called Yeatzee...amazing macro shots.
Yeah, he was a really good guy, I also knew him through another forum. 2 things happened - first of all he went off these forums because the criticism he had here from people got him down. He also went to college and discovered girls, I believe

QuoteOriginally posted by Dieseler Quote
Given a temporary forum holiday for being rude and writing hatemail to a moderator (me). At the moment he's slated to be back start of October or so

Last edited by Nass; 09-23-2016 at 03:39 PM.
09-22-2016, 04:16 AM   #85
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Yeah, he was a good guy, I also knew him through another forum. 2 things happened - first of all he went off these forums because of some personal harassment he had here from the "you are photographing dead things so it doesn't count" crowd. He also went to college and discovered girls, I believe

Given a temporary forum holiday for being rude and writing hatemail to a moderator (me). At the moment he's slated to be back start of October or so
Getting on the wrong side of Rupert is not a pleasant experience.
09-22-2016, 04:27 AM   #86
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Yeah, he was a good guy, I also knew him through another forum. 2 things happened - first of all he went off these forums because of some personal harassment he had here from the "you are photographing dead things so it doesn't count" crowd. He also went to college and discovered girls, I believe

no..... Rupert rude, no, impossible.....
on the other hand we are all getting older, turning into old farts , short temper, pressured by moderators to obey random rules ( but I am old enough to know what is ok and what is not!) and after all we are spreaded through many continents and what is ok in Australia not necessary is acceptable in EU, UK ( not any more part of EU) or US.
Hey Moderators, go with time, be more flexible, I was reprimanded for using harmless aussie phrase but apparently not so harmless in UK, how should I know that?
kind regards
jack
09-22-2016, 04:54 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Jack, Norm, sorry to be a bit of a prude bore, but let me cut both of you off and any others at this point - this Rupert thing isn't open to discussion or even popularity vote. It's not right, as he's not here to give his point of view, and specific moderation instances aren't "open to public opinion" anyway. Let me at least assure you though that there were no grey area or ambiguous linguistic or cultural differences of meaning.
09-22-2016, 06:28 AM   #88
Veteran Member

You made my day!
09-22-2016, 07:39 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Well, we all know how truthful all of Rupert's stories are
09-22-2016, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #90
Pentaxian

He'll say anything that darn squirrel puts him up to.