Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 08:57 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And this may be a good time to mention that, if anyone is rude to members, feel free to report their post. Mods can't be everywhere but if you alert us to someone being rude, we'll have a read.

08-25-2016, 09:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I've been a member since March 2015, yes, but a good deal of my posts are welcomes. The reason for the thread was to gauge from members when a new member is accepted in their eyes. Not me specifically.
Sorry I misunderstood. I for one don't care if someone has been here for a day or for years. The main thing is that we all learn something new every day, even if it is from someone else's mistakes or misfortune. And, with luck, we all learn to take better pictures. The more photos I take, the less satisfied I seem to be.
08-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #18
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Sorry I misunderstood. I for one don't care if someone has been here for a day or for years. The main thing is that we all learn something new every day, even if it is from someone else's mistakes or misfortune. And, with luck, we all learn to take better pictures. The more photos I take, the less satisfied I seem to be.
No worries mate, as I thought that to be the case. I have read many of your posts and found your replies to be both good humored and fair.
08-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
anyway, since I've started posting here I'm not going anywhere
Glad to hear that, and looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

08-25-2016, 10:09 PM   #20
Forum Member

And this may be a good time to mention that, if anyone is rude to members, feel free to report their post. Mods can't be everywhere but if you alert us to someone being rude, we'll have a read.
nope nobody has been rude. just people sometimes can't quite accept that pentax isn't perfect or when people online (no names being mentioned tony) don't 100% sing praises of the brand.

I do kind of get why to some extent... sometimes people I shoot with haven't even heard of pentax.

the main thing that matters to me (well almost) is that in the time I've been doing paid shoots in the last year and a half or so I haven't had a single complaint and I keep getting asked back for almost more work than I can handle recently.

I remember at the start of the summer I was shooting an event with my k50 and the sigma 17-50 with another chap who had a canon 5dmk3 and he was just jealous of how light my setup was

anyway OT... it's a great forum, I've just been hesitant to start posting.

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 10:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Glad to hear that, and looking forward to seeing some of your photos!
cheers
08-26-2016, 09:02 AM   #21

[sarcasm]My expertise is so suprior then anyone elses that I can't be bothered to respond to you people.[/sarcasm]

Seriously, though. I'm mostly self-though and given the sum of technical know-how on the forum, I mostly lurk & listen.

...very much a newbie...
08-26-2016, 09:44 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I have got a pretty good memory, and I remember it from a reply to one of your posts a fairly long time ago. You must have given it to one of your many " friends " here, or they put 2 and 2 together and used the name. Its good to know peoples 1st names though. I have mine on my profile ( Peter ).
Perhaps it could be an option to make our first names in our Profiles visible in threads.I much prefer being addressed as Tim,rather than timb64(although I've been called worse!)
I make a point of trying to find out peoples' first name but feel a bit intrusive delving too deep.

Edit.Have noticed several members include their first name in their actual signature(it was obvious really!)which I have now done and encourage others to do.

Last edited by timb64; 08-26-2016 at 09:53 AM.
08-26-2016, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
UncleVanya started a great thread ( Long gone users ) in which he was wondering what had happened to some longstanding members who it seems have disappeared off the face of the earth. Really good discussion being had amongst the longer serving members, but I felt uneasy about making any sort of contribution. At what point does a newbie stop being new, and is accepted by the older serving members. An example of this for me is I have commented on some Post Your Photos! threads only to be bypassed ( I won't say ignored ) by the original poster in their replies. The posts before and after mine get quoted and thanks given. An extreme example was of the 10 posts given to a particular photograph, 9 got replies AND likes, and I got bypassed. Newbiephobia was all I can put that down to as my comment was similar to most. So my question ( to which there is not a single answer ) is, at what point does " newbieness " stop. Number of posts, number of likes, the year one joined? This forum is an amazing resource for me, and I have learned so much. But I joined when it was very well established. Adam, the staff and you long serving members have made this site the great place that it is. For new members joining such an established group though, it can ( and is ) quite daunting. Any feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated.
I was reading the same thread, and had a reply typed up ready to go, and deleted it. I do that a lot. I'm pretty new to photography (2 yrs now), and usually sit back trying to listen and learn.

I need to start posting more and less deleting, to get over the newbie feeling.
08-26-2016, 04:22 PM   #24
Closed Account

Original Poster
Hi Kib ( @kiberkli ). The degree of technical knowledge within this group is indeed daunting. But the technical stuff is only one part of this great site. We can post photographs, tell jokes, welcome newcomers, etc. I found that the more you join in, members start seeing your username popping up and start to interact. Give it a try.

Hi Tim ( @timb64 ).I agree that knowing and using members 1st names makes interacting more friendly. Before responding to new members or replying to a post, I usually check a members profile for their real name. If they have it listed, I will use it. Some people prefer to remain at arms length, which is OK. They only want to be known by their username. For the others though, just put it in your profile so we have the choice which name to use. I always assumed your name was Tim, but as you know with me, conclusions I have made in the past have been very wrong !!!

Hi David ( @Riggomatic ), I started this thread for exactly the reason you stated. I was going to join @UncleVanya's thread ( Long gone users ) and stopped. Self confidence ( or lack of ) is something we all have to deal with sometimes. But I have realized something by reading all the varied responses to this thread, that we are all equal members here. Sure, some ( most !! ) people take much better photographs than I ever will, and some ( more than most !!! ) will know more technical stuff than I ever will, but I can contribute in other ways. It is just up to me to find out how.
08-26-2016, 04:34 PM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Perhaps it could be an option to make our first names in our Profiles visible in threads.I much prefer being addressed as Tim,rather than timb64(although I've been called worse!)
I make a point of trying to find out peoples' first name but feel a bit intrusive delving too deep.

Edit.Have noticed several members include their first name in their actual signature(it was obvious really!)which I have now done and encourage others to do.
Yes, I've always included my first name with my signature; as it seems more friendly for people to know your first name.
Thanks for including yours, now!
08-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #26
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
.Have noticed several members include their first name in their actual signature(it was obvious really!)which I have now done and encourage others to do.
Ditto !!!
08-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
I guess my main issue has been this... a lot of the people here seem to be so "pro pentax" that anything against pentax seems to get flamed.
I think quite a few of us here as very, very brand loyal. But, at the same time most members don't shoot down a competitor's (good and/or innovative) product. But, most of us, myself included, don't respond well to brand bashing. Brand loyalty is an interesting thing. I've owned 7 Fords. I won't knock GM, but I'm unlikely to buy one!
08-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Ditto !!!
Same here. My digital persona is just me.
08-28-2016, 03:22 PM   #29
Closed Account

Original Poster
Same here. My digital persona is just me.
And it is good to be able to respond to " Mark." Some of the usernames give nothing away as to who we are responding to. Somehow it doesn't feel right to me to start a reply with " Hi Zebiddy789donglemeister." I would much prefer to start with " Hi Bob."
08-28-2016, 03:26 PM - 2 Likes   #30
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know; that user name has kind of a ring to it!