Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
08-24-2016, 11:56 PM   #1
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Once a newbie, alwa.........!!!

UncleVanya started a great thread ( Long gone users ) in which he was wondering what had happened to some longstanding members who it seems have disappeared off the face of the earth. Really good discussion being had amongst the longer serving members, but I felt uneasy about making any sort of contribution. At what point does a newbie stop being new, and is accepted by the older serving members. An example of this for me is I have commented on some Post Your Photos! threads only to be bypassed ( I won't say ignored ) by the original poster in their replies. The posts before and after mine get quoted and thanks given. An extreme example was of the 10 posts given to a particular photograph, 9 got replies AND likes, and I got bypassed. Newbiephobia was all I can put that down to as my comment was similar to most. So my question ( to which there is not a single answer ) is, at what point does " newbieness " stop. Number of posts, number of likes, the year one joined? This forum is an amazing resource for me, and I have learned so much. But I joined when it was very well established. Adam, the staff and you long serving members have made this site the great place that it is. For new members joining such an established group though, it can ( and is ) quite daunting. Any feedback and opinions are greatly appreciated.

08-25-2016, 03:43 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After 1,784 posts you're hardly new!
08-25-2016, 03:53 AM   #3
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
After 1,784 posts you're hardly new!
I've been a member since March 2015, yes, but a good deal of my posts are welcomes. The reason for the thread was to gauge from members when a new member is accepted in their eyes. Not me specifically.
08-25-2016, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I accept new members straight away, though as we've discussed before, Peter, I do consider it friendly and "good manners" if they introduce themselves with just a little more than "Hi, I'm new here" or "The rules say I have to post before I can PM someone, so hello."

Often new members are looking for help (if I remember correctly, that's what prompted me to join back in 2010). Once someone has gone through the initial Q&A session with established members, if I see them popping up in subsequent discussions and debates then I tend to assume they may be with us for a little while, or hopefully longer. Their developing demeanour, sense of humour, willingness to participate / listen / share knowledge, and resilience in bouncing back from the occasional heated exchange, are what probably convinces me they could be with us long term. These things also, inevitably, contribute to the impression I form of them, and whether I'm likely to enjoy interacting with them. I suppose that, sub-consciously, I consider members past the newbie stage once I've developed an impression, which usually means I've had a certain amount of active or passive involvement with them.

Although I try to acknowledge all input and responses in a thread, I'm probably guilty of being a little more responsive to those members I've had greater involvement with - be that in a positive or negative way. And there are definitely certain members whose opinions and advice I'm likely to consider as credible - and vice versa! In both cases, those members tend to be well-established contributors...

08-25-2016, 07:18 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Now then I almost think I'm still a newbie.
Even with over 4000 posts and almost 500 likes, I've only been here 14 months...
Only have had Pentax for about 18 months. Still a lot I don't know.
08-25-2016, 07:21 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When I respond to members, I really don't even look at their statistics, rather what they posted. If someone is responding to many likes, posts at one time; they could have just unfortunately missed your post; rather than ignoring it because they consider you "new". Which BTW, with your post count & membership going on 2 years, I certainly don't consider you a "newbie".
08-25-2016, 07:55 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
At what point does a newbie stop being new, and is accepted by the older serving members. An example of this for me is I have commented on some Post Your Photos! threads only to be bypassed ( I won't say ignored ) by the original poster in their replies. The posts before and after mine get quoted and thanks given. An extreme example was of the 10 posts given to a particular photograph, 9 got replies AND likes, and I got bypassed. Newbiephobia was all I can put that down to as my comment was similar to most.
Being anything but a newbie here, let me tell you that is not an unusual experience at any stage of the game here.....old or new, that is a common occurrence. Do not take it personal...it happens all the time and often without rhyme or reason.

Sometimes I see fabulous shots....go without comment. They may be by an experienced shooter or a novice....still it happens. The why is a total mystery???

Your mind wanders.....

* Was my shot really crummy?

*Was my comment stupid?

*Am I stupid?

*Maybe people don't like me?

* Maybe I am an unlikable person?

* Maybe I need to hide under a rock and stay out of public view?

* I hope my Mom still loves me?

No, it is just another normal day at the PF or on the internet...just "business as usual"...so don't take it personal....happens to me most every day and I'm still here and doing just fine!

Looky there! :D Otis Squirrel noticed your post and just made a donation in your name to make you a Site Supporter !

That Otis takes notice of those deserving Pentaxians and we can thank him for it! He is the biggest Pentax fan around and advises everyone.....DONATE often and keep this great site here for us and going strong 24/7!

Best Regards!
Rupert

08-25-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Closed Account

Original Poster
This site and its members rarely, if ever, disappoint me. Mike ( @BigMackCam ), Robert ( @bertwert ) and Carol ( @csa ) this is exactly the kind of feedback I was seeking. Thank you all very much.

@Rupert, I want to thank you and your little henchman Otis for the very kind hearted donation, but my name is already green !!! I'm a Loyal Site Supporter.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Looky there! Otis Squirrel noticed your post and just made a donation in your name to make you a Site Supporter !
Otis has humbled me, but please contact Adam and try for a reimbursement. Thank Otis on my behalf, because being Australian I only speak possum - not squirrelese !!! On a more serious note Rupert, your rhetorical questions were excellent and I think most of us would have asked ourselves at least 1 of those this year. ( I have ) Thanks for your reply too.

I think @MarkJerling read my post too quickly and didn't get the gist of what I was aiming for, but I'm glad the rest of you got it. Thanks.
08-25-2016, 07:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Robert ( @bertwert )
How do you get my name...
I don't think I'm displaying it anywhere...
08-25-2016, 08:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
How do you get my name...
I have got a pretty good memory, and I remember it from a reply to one of your posts a fairly long time ago. You must have given it to one of your many " friends " here, or they put 2 and 2 together and used the name. Its good to know peoples 1st names though. I have mine on my profile ( Peter ).
08-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #11
Forum Member

I've been lurking for several years, only created my account maybe a year ago or so but only started posting recently. this isn't the friendliest forum to get into.
08-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #12
Closed Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
I've been lurking for several years, only created my account maybe a year ago or so but only started posting recently. this isn't the friendliest forum to get into.
Hi zestoi. I am finding this to be a friendly site so far, but as with any group of people, there are going to be disagreements. Being new sometimes means taking little steps 1st, and then a bit more, and so on. I have witnessed very new members arguing with long term members and being quite rude. Luckily they don't seem to last long though. Also, there are some " characters " here with strong personalities and opinions. Disagree with them at your peril !!! Some people you will get along with, and others you won't. But they will be in the minority. Keep joining in, and posting the odd photo or 2 and give it time. The vast majority of members here are very knowledgeable and willing to help, and are really good people.
08-25-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zestoi Quote
I'm sorry that you don't find the forum friendly. The majority of members here are very friendly, kind in their responses, and very swift to extend any help they can offer. Join in, and I think you might change your mind, and find it to be a great, friendly place to hang out.
08-25-2016, 08:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi zestoi. I am finding this to be a friendly site so far, but as with any group of people, there are going to be disagreements. Being new sometimes means taking little steps 1st, and then a bit more, and so on. I have witnessed very new members arguing with long term members and being quite rude. Luckily they don't seem to last long though. Also, there are some " characters " here with strong personalities and opinions. Disagree with them at your peril !!! Some people you will get along with, and others you won't. But they will be in the minority. Keep joining in, and posting the odd photo or 2 and give it time. The vast majority of members here are very knowledgeable and willing to help, and are really good people.
The rude ones are not welcome! 99.99% of members behave like they would with their friends.
08-25-2016, 08:56 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
I'm sorry that you don't find the forum friendly. The majority of members here are very friendly, kind in their responses, and very swift to extend any help they can offer. Join in, and I think you might change your mind, and find it to be a great, friendly place to hang out.
hi chaps figured I'd reply to both posts at the same time esp as it's 7am here now and it's been a long night...

i'm not new to forums... currently maintaining 8 servers and I don't know how many websites. been a member of quite a few forums before (including one running my own forum software).

I guess my main issue has been this... a lot of the people here seem to be so "pro pentax" that anything against pentax seems to get flamed.

personally I shoot pentax because quite honestly I think it's the best (for photos) all things considered. is it perfect? of course not. sometimes other brands are better in certain areas. do I wish I shot something else? no way if I did I'd sell up and switch given how much I depend on my photoshoots right now.

I'd love to post some photos sometime, once I figure out which ones I actually own the copyrights to...

anyway, since I've started posting here I'm not going anywhere

---------- Post added 08-25-16 at 08:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
The rude ones are not welcome! 99.99% of members behave like they would with their friends.
lol fair enough, I'll get used to it anyway