Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 03:24 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Alternative to Epipen

With the controversy over Martin Shkreli's 5500% price increase for a legacy anti-parasitic drug, and the enormous price increase in the Epipen I was happy to find a link to a Consumer's Reports article on a "generic" alternative to the Epipen. How to Get the Cheaper EpiPen Alternative - Consumer Reports

My granddaughter Sofia carries the Epipen. I imagine that some Pentax Forums members or their loved ones have severe, possibly life-threatening allergies, so I hope that this info is helpful.

08-25-2016, 03:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crazy! Here it costs NZ$120! In the UK, it's even cheaper.
08-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's generic corporate profit behavior, and then there is corporate greed. The only response available to the buyer is the alternative the market will eventually provide, such as this alternative source.
08-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
There's generic corporate profit behavior, and then there is corporate greed. The only response available to the buyer is the alternative the market will eventually provide, such as this alternative source.
"Eventually".... and how many people will die before the alternative is widely available AND publicized? Adam Smith, he of Wealth of Nations, noted that, while the wisdom of the market was at work, someone - government - should assure that people weren't ground to atoms in the mean time.

08-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter

One of the issues, particularly for parents, is that the epipen is enjoying preferential treatment in the public school system, backed by fda and federal education dollars. That limits parents to being required to purchase the pen at its exorbitant price or school their child in some other fashion.
08-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There appears to be no correlation between the rapid cost of Eippens and the CEO's compensation increasing from $2,900,000 to $19,000,000 over the same time period. A local hospital is putting together kits containing a hypodermic needle and a bottle of epinephrine. Cost is $80.

BREAKING NEWS: The company just announced that it is now giving out $300 coupons to defray the cost. List price is to remain the same.
08-25-2016, 05:38 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
There appears to be no correlation between the rapid cost of Eippens and the CEO's compensation increasing from $2,900,000 to $19,000,000 over the same time period. A local hospital is putting together kits containing a hypodermic needle and a bottle of epinephrine. Cost is $80.

BREAKING NEWS: The company just announced that it is now giving out $300 coupons to defray the cost. List price is to remain the same.
Of course the cost is still a 300% increase from the 2009 price...And if you don't have insurance you can't get the coupon. Can't get it if you are on Medicare or Medicaid either...

08-25-2016, 07:50 PM   #8
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Alternative to Epipen

Great information. Thank you very much for posting it.
08-25-2016, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

A twin pack in Australia costs A$38 (US$29, GBP22, 25 Euro). Here it's covered by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. If one doesn't qualify for the drug, it costs A$100 for a twin pack.

The PBS means my anti-cholesterol statins did cost me A$5.20, ditto for my diabetic medication, but, as we've reached the govt. safety net, our drugs are now free.

Last edited by p38arover; 08-25-2016 at 08:22 PM.
08-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
A twin pack in Australia costs A$38 (US$29, GBP22, 25 Euro). Here it's covered by the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.
Interesting! Here by us it's not funded by Pharmac. But, most prescriptions only cost $15.00 each. For some, as low as $3.00 each.
08-26-2016, 03:17 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The thing is that epinephrine has been generic for a long time. It is the convenience of the device that epi pen uses that is being sold at an exorbitant price. And I guess the patent on that device goes off patent soon?

We saw this a few years ago when they took meter dose inhalers off the market for albuterol. They were generic and cost maybe 10 dollars for an inhaler. Unfortunately they contained CFCs and when they replaced them with hydrofluoroalkane (HFA) inhalers the price jumped to 70 or 80 dollars an inhaler. The issue wasn't the medicine which was still really cheap, it was the device to the deliver the medicine.
08-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The thing is that epinephrine has been generic for a long time. It is the convenience of the device that epi pen uses that is being sold at an exorbitant price. And I guess the patent on that device goes off patent soon?

We saw this a few years ago when they took meter dose inhalers off the market for albuterol. They were generic and cost maybe 10 dollars for an inhaler. Unfortunately they contained CFCs and when they replaced them with hydrofluoroalkane (HFA) inhalers the price jumped to 70 or 80 dollars an inhaler. The issue wasn't the medicine which was still really cheap, it was the device to the deliver the medicine.
The patents on the Epi-pen, as I understand it, aren't going to expire soon, as they have updated the patents with each incremental improvement. The profit is absolutely on the injector, not the drug itself. For a well-researched essay on the subject, including the way-back-when origin of the device, may I recommend this link - very much non-partisan and pulls no punches about anything...

Jim
08-26-2016, 04:17 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
The patents on the Epi-pen, as I understand it, aren't going to expire soon, as they have updated the patents with each incremental improvement. The profit is absolutely on the injector, not the drug itself. For a well-researched essay on the subject, including the way-back-when origin of the device, may I recommend this link - very much non-partisan and pulls no punches about anything...

Jim

Jim, where is the link! As the OP, I have a very personal interest in this whole sordid mess. I find it appalling that the Shreklis of this world and the Epipen mistresses are willing to sacrifice untold innocents for personal gain. What has happened to the concept of Noblisse Oblige, which impelled Andrew Carnegie to spend much of his massive fortune to build libraries throughout the Nation?
08-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

The link's attached to to the "this link" phrase - it was shorter than pasting the whole thing in...
08-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Oops! Sorry for the confusion.