Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just another reason to skip water altogether and drink beer. If you drink enough of it you won't care what kind of residue it leaves.

Regards!

08-30-2016, 04:21 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
I know of a local Midwestern grocery store chain where it is possible to buy the store brand bottled water which proudly proclaims on its label for all, to read:

"Bottled at a Iowa municipal site"
All grocery store (not to mention Walmart, etc) "drinking water" says something like that, but all the ones I've seen also say "purified", i.e. it is tap water with extra purification from charcoal filters, reverse osmosis, whatever. It is basically the same as you would get out of the water machine where you can fill up your gallon jug for a quarter or a home Brita or Pur filter. And there is nothing wrong with that -- that's exactly what I drink at home. A lot of places the tap water tastes bad even if there is nothing "wrong" with it (and any tap water outside of Flint, MI is in theory ok to drink, although clearly Flint isn't the only place with such problems). So you run it through your filter or buy that jug from the grocery store and you have decent-tasting water that doesn't cost a fortune. (Relative to the bottled spring waters, which are more expensive.)
08-30-2016, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread brings to mind the famous quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin:
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Chris
08-31-2016, 09:38 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
Didn't PT Barnum say something about a sucker being born every minute or something like that?
In may ways this is true in regards to water, especially the high priced stuff. But if your tap water is nasty tasting due to minerals or ancient plumbing, then you have to do something. I use a multiple charcoal filter system which gives me excellent tasting drinking and cooking water. The filters also protect my hot water heater, boiler, and I no longer have the stains in the sinks, toilets or stained clothing in the laundry. I spend around $10 every 2-3 months on filters. When I do buy bottled water, which isn't often, I will buy the cheapest in the store. Most of it, even the brand names, are nothing more than filtered municipal water from somewhere. I also remember well the Perrier scandal a few years back when their bottled water was found to have harmful chemicals.

08-31-2016, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Do any of you use rain water? We've lived in several places where we had rain water tanks as that was the only source of water. We didn't boil it, we just drank it straight from the tank.
Australia commonly uses galvanized iron or ceramic tile roofing.
In this area the roofs are mostly of asphalt -fibreglass or -paper shingles which have a gritty surface . I think that contaminates the run off and makes it unsuitable for household use. When I clean the gutters under the leaves is asphalt powder and the fine grit. The shingles have a life of only about 20 years.
08-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes, Colorbond steel roofing is commonly used, especially on new builds. TerraCotta tiles are unusual these days because of cost. My 40-yo house has concrete tiles - these are very common.

Even so it's amazing how much dirt gets trapped in the first flush trap on the way to the tank. I have no qualms about drinking the tank water.

Fibrous-Asbestos roofing was once common and there are still many old homes with it. I had the fibro roof on my garage replaced with Colorbond steel about 5 years ago.
08-31-2016, 06:39 PM   #22

Here in the US in many places it is in fact illegal to collect rain water.

08-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #23
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Here in the US in many places it is in fact illegal to collect rain water.
3 States in the West are among those.

Collecting Rainwater is Illegal in Several States - Montana Hunting and Fishing Information
09-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #24
Veteran Member

All new buildings in this State are required to collect and use rainwater. I have a 9,000litre rainwater tank. The govt. gave a rebate for the purchase of the tank. I installed it.
09-03-2016, 07:23 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Frankly, I think it's foolish for any state to have a law against collecting rainwater. People that can collect rain water use less of the municipal supply, so therefore saving water there. What little rainwater collected, would pale in comparison to the total amount of rain that falls on the ground, in the rivers and lakes.
09-10-2016, 04:43 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been drinking tap water for 77 yrs. the idea of buying water at the store gores my ox. I see it as another scam, like telling people they hve to be in constant contact and "need" mobile phones.
09-10-2016, 05:19 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bull drinkwater Quote
I've been drinking tap water for 77 yrs. the idea of buying water at the store gores my ox. I see it as another scam, like telling people they hve to be in constant contact and "need" mobile phones.
There should be nothing wrong with tap water, and generally there isn't. (Although if you are really in Pontiac, I'd be wary!) I grew up in Detroit drinking the tap water, thought it tasted fine. But at my relatives house in Livonia, their water tasted weird. Went off to college in Ithaca, NY -- the water was HORRIBLE, it would make me sick. HAD to have bottled water. Moved to Los Angeles -- pretty bad there too, used to get the stuff out of the water machine for a quarter per gallon. Etc etc. So it just depends. Everywhere since Detroit I've been filtering it. Maybe it is just whatever you are used to, and growing up back there nobody filtered anything anyway so never thought about it much. (This is just for drinking -- for cooking I've always used straight tap water.)
11-05-2016, 01:17 PM   #28
Veteran Member

anyone wonder why water, which is thousands of years old, all of a sudden needs an expiry date when put in a plastic bottle? Aquafina which is from Pepsi is water taken out of good old lake Ontario!
I used to joke as a kid that there is no way someone would pay for water when it is free from the tap
I still drink good old tap water and unless we somehow get contaminated, will continue to do so
bottled water=waste of money

Randy
01-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slip Quote
anyone wonder why water, which is thousands of years old, all of a sudden needs an expiry date when put in a plastic bottle? Aquafina which is from Pepsi is water taken out of good old lake Ontario!
I used to joke as a kid that there is no way someone would pay for water when it is free from the tap
I still drink good old tap water and unless we somehow get contaminated, will continue to do so
bottled water=waste of money

Randy
ZOMBIE thread time

nestle is stripping many aquifers dry so you can pay to have a plastic bottle wrapped around your water that you could get from the tap.any tap , no need for filters (at least here in Ontario , Bottled water in general is an invented need by companies like nestle(the biggest by far) coke pepsi etc. the insane level of pollution caused by bottled water alone is mind boggling (sure sure there are recycling programs, walk down any roadside or along any highway to see how well that works)
I refuse to buy bottled water. ever. I have bottles for my biking that i can use elsewhere, in restaurants i just have tap water ...... at home i always have water in the fridge that i filtered (though Toronto water is good without it being done generally) . If the water tastes bad where you are buy a filter and use it , i bought a soda stream so i could have the carbonated without having bottle waste

as for the tests sorry there was nothing particularly scientific about them. You can do analysis tests of water and find out what is in it then it may be worth looking at. Good water almost always has some mineral content that you not only benefit from but also gives a characteristic to the waters taste (sulpher i could live without though
01-01-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
This thread brings to mind the famous quote often attributed to Benjamin Franklin:
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Chris
The significance of bacteria wasn't discovered for almost 100 years after Franklin's death so I think the quote may be apocryphal.