Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Which online photo printing using TIFF?

Hi,

I have been using the K100D Super for a few month now (very happy with it) and did print a few of my shots at Walmart and Winkflash.

Walmart is faster because it's closer to me, though Winkflash output a better quality because of either or both features: printing from TIFF files and printing at 460 dpi (according to them).

I was wondering if you knew any other online printing service that would accept TIFF at a reasonable price and offer a good quality?

Also, is TIFF really worth it for printing? My guess is yes, but what is yours?

Thank you for your help.

07-23-2008, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
in my humble opinion, TIFF is good for saving non-destructively. If you're doing extensive PP work and saving layers etc so you can go back and undo things easily. Just like a .psd or if you use Lightroom where you can selectively undo changes you've made.

Once you have your final file ready for output, I would be willing to bet that almost no one could tell the difference if your final output file was a TIFF or a .jpg saved at the maximum quality compression. Especially if you are using Walmart or some other similar outlet to do the prints. I know it won't let you print any larger before it starts to get blurry, after all, it's still the same number of pixels, just more color information saved.

If you were printing yourself on a X-number of ink system where you have printer/monitor/everything calibrated just so, maybe you'll get some slightly smoother color gradations using a high-bit TIFF file for output. That's just a guess, mind you, I don't print from them.

I don't think it's worth the aggravation as far as file size is concerned.

That's again, purely my unscientific view.

Last edited by khardur; 07-23-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: added a few words
07-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #3
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your info.

So if you think TIFF and JPG are pretty similar for printing, where do you print them?
Also, With you K110D, was is the largest print you did using the JPG format?
07-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
largest size print I did was a 20x30 (and it came out damn good if I do say so myself). Other than that I mostly did 11x14's with the K110D.

For the 20x30 I did resample the image in photoshop to make it a little larger, not by much though, maybe 15%.
I had it printed from Mpix. I tried Adorama's printing service, but I didn't really like them.

I just don't think the difference you may or may not see would be worth uploading that huge TIFF filesize.

07-24-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
YJD
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you so much, I got the information I wanted.

Love that PentaxForums!
Meaning all of you guys and the great advice or point of view you are bringing.