Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-19-2016, 07:13 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On Friday, I got a set of Cooper Discoverer SRX - 255 65/R17 mounted on the 2014 CRV. Total cost, with a NY State yearly inspection, mounting, balance, alignment and taxes came to $697. These are a newer Cooper model made for the smaller SUV's. My initial impressions are positive. They are quieter than the Bridgestones that came with the car. Any final thoughts are going to come in the future. How will it handle snow? How will they wear? My past experiences with Cooper has been very good. I ran them on my pickups and my old Honda CRV, but a different model tire. I fully expect these are the last tires we will buy for this car.

09-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The cheapest Cooper model that comes in my car's size is called Starfire.

Here's Starfire from John Barry's 1961 Stringbeat "concept" album:

It's a Jerry Lordan tune (who wrote Apache) and features Ted Taylor on clavioline.

Chris
09-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RichardS Quote
He did amazing things from an early age. Many of the visitors to the college used to ask where his rooms were (between the Great Gate and the Chapel in Great Court). It wasn't just the scientific and mathematical folk.

Calculus was fun for me, but chemistry was a nightmare. I had to remember stuff. Maths was just plain common sense and obvious, until we got to partial differential equations of the third degree in second or third year engineering. That was where maths and I parted company

Regards,
Richard.
Yup. Diff-E-Q can cause a lot of pain.

Jer

---------- Post added 09-21-2016 at 03:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have the same rear wear. Is my wife secretly doing burnouts? It's a little unexpected because MB uses the same size tires on the SLK350, with 50% more power, maybe 200lbs heavier. The rear tires are larger than the fronts so rotation isn't possible.
I'm guessing she's doin' a little hot rodding!

All my cars since 2008 have had staggered tires, which makes managing tires for longer life impossible.

A few months after I bought my 2015 BMW M4, I picked up a nail in a rear tire. Fortunately it was repairable, since the Michelin Pilot Super Sports especially specced for the car were back ordered. Hmmmmmmmm . . . . . . . I wonder why M3 and M4 owners were chewing up rear tires.

Jer
09-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote

P.S. - Please let me know where I can get a decent set of four new tires for $250!
Not sure about decent, but I think it was $188 out the door from America's Tire.

09-21-2016, 02:20 PM   #80
Pentaxian

The cheapest Cooper model that comes in my car's size is called Starfire.

Here's Starfire from John Barry's 1961 Stringbeat "concept" album:

John Barry Seven - Starfire - 1961 45rpm - YouTube

It's a Jerry Lordan tune (who wrote Apache) and features Ted Taylor on clavioline.

Chris
Don't know the song or the Cooper model, but I do know the '60's Oldsmobile Starfire. Back in the '60's a boss of mine had a '64 Olds Starfire, 2 dr. hard top. It had a powerful engine...the 394 cube Rocket V8...this one rated around 345 hp. Nice car, expensive for it's time.
09-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My older brother owned an early '60's Olds in the 1970's.
It had aluminum valve guides and burned oil like crazy.

Later they resurrected the Starfire name for the Olds variant of the GM H-body.

Chris
09-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just looked and I already have Starfires on the car.
They were put on by the seller when I bought the car three years ago.

They handle well and still have plenty of tread left, but lately they have been losing pressure quickly,
including the two tires that have never been plugged.

Unless it's just leaky valves it's not worth the time or cost of checking, repairing and remounting them.
I'd rather spend that money towards a new set.

I'm currently leaning towards the General Altimax RT43. Does anyone here have a set of these?

Chris

09-27-2016, 07:42 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Just looked and I already have Starfires on the car.
They were put on by the seller when I bought the car three years ago.

They handle well and still have plenty of tread left, but lately they have been losing pressure quickly,
including the two tires that have never been plugged.

Unless it's just leaky valves it's not worth the time or cost of checking, repairing and remounting them.
I'd rather spend that money towards a new set.

I'm currently leaning towards the General Altimax RT43. Does anyone here have a set of these?

Chris
I think someone was just talking about them, (maybe searchable on this thread.) Can't really remember but I think they were in someone's top tier.
09-27-2016, 07:13 PM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No mention of the General Altimax RT43's here, but lots of good reviews on the 'Net.

I'm tempted by a real good price on a set of Goodyear Eagle GT All-Season tires.
Dealer offers free shipping on these. Too bad reviews say they wear out quickly.
The look on my carrier's face delivering four tires would be priceless!

Chris
09-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's perfectly OK to have tires sent by UPS - really hard to throw, unlikely to be damaged if dropped, doesn't matter if they are left out in the rain.
09-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #86
Veteran Member

No love for cheap Chinese tires? Like the 'Goodride' brand ones, made by the esteemed Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. Ltd, that I bought last week.

They are the largest tyre maker in China, apparently, so I guess/hope they know how to make an OK tyre ...
09-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #87
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
No love for cheap Chinese tires? Like the 'Goodride' brand ones, made by the esteemed Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co. Ltd, that I bought last week.

They are the largest tyre maker in China, apparently, so I guess/hope they know how to make an OK tyre ...
I guess let us know how those work out. Tires are somewhere I don't want to skimp or take chances. Could be the same stuff sold at Wal-Mart under different brands, though, whatever that's worth. Frankly, I'd rather run good used tires if available than go any cheaper than my basic Kellys. (Which were fifty bucks apiece, but I was in a bind: they're usually what I recommend to people who don't drive even halfway hard ever, just need to go, but they're better than expected, honestly, especially since I tamed some of the rest of my suspension.) Anyway, sometimes a Chinese company makes honest products and are trying, sometimes they'll throw whatever garbage in there and stick a brand name that confuses non-English speakers about what they're getting. ('Goodride' for instance: how many letters of Japanese would you really memorize if the cameras came labeled that way, yaknow?)
09-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #88
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Goodride" sounds too much like Good Year.
Hey, why not capitalize on someone else's reputation?
It's like free advertising.

Maybe some less canny Chinese company will market "Skidmore" brand tires.

My concerns are similar to RML's. You shouldn't cheap around with tires or brakes.
Even if it costs a bit more I prefer to buy American, especially in this case.

Chris
09-30-2016, 08:11 PM   #89
Pentaxian

"Goodride" sounds too much like Good Year.
Hey, why not capitalize on someone else's reputation?
It's like free advertising.

Maybe some less canny Chinese company will market "Skidmore" brand tires.

My concerns are similar to RML's. You shouldn't cheap around with tires or brakes.
Even if it costs a bit more I prefer to buy American, especially in this case.

Chris
X 2....never cheap on tires or brakes. My tire brand of choice are Michelin, we all have our preference I suppose.
10-01-2016, 06:29 AM   #90
Veteran Member

I think 'Skidmore' tires would be great for the drifting set.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
X 2....never cheap on tires or brakes. My tire brand of choice are Michelin, we all have our preference I suppose.
I think maybe it's more like we've all got our good and bad experiences, depends how many tires we actually have run, really. Since a lot of people I know come to me for advice there or whatnot, I do have some secondhand experiences to draw on... they're usually not looking to spend a lot, mind you: based on a friend's experiences lately in the nicer-than-middling range I think I'd pick Michelins over Continentals, though I'm not so sure the latter tires are really to blame for the problems she kept having. (I suppose we'll find out. )

Housemate came back with some Tiger Paws recently, and those seem good. (I haven't run those myself since the set I had in high school, prior to the ol GT Qualifiers I probably wouldn't mind having again like they were. Kind of a favorite snapshot from high school memories is a friend in the passenger seat going, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANICE tires!"