Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do You Know Tires?

I needed a new set of tires for my little Toy Car Audi TT. So you just get the size, pick a brand and buy them...right?

I have it in the shop for new rear shocks ( the reason my current tires wore out too soon) and asked them to purchase and install all new tires. My mechanic, a very skilled technician told me it isn't that simple and suggested I go to TireRack.com and find my car and take a look around, read the data on each tire, the reviews and ask questions there if needed.

I got an education for sure! I don't think tire buying will ever be the same for me. At my age I would have thought that I knew something, but I didn't know much.

I ended up buying these TireRack.com Tire Reviews

There were so many choices and most had different strong points...and weak points, depending on what you want in handling, wear, and noise. This one seemed to fit my needs the best for the price.....Since a sport car doesn't get a lot of miles out of a tire, price is important...you will be buying a new set sooner than later, so getting optimum results for the duration of their life at the best price is important.

How is your tire knowledge!......I'd be interested in how many are a lot smarter than old Rupert has been for all these years.

Regards!

09-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I'm old enough to remember when radial tires caused a firestorm, so I hit TireRack any time I need to shop for tires. There aren't enough hours in the day to keep up with tire development on a regular basis.
09-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've left the tire choice up to my trusted tire company; they've always done very well for me, knowing what my needs in a tire are. My main needs are shale rock protection, good traction in mud, snow, & ice; as I put few miles on driving the highways.

This might not be the way to choose tires for others, but for me it has worked out well. That is a great link, though, Rupert!
09-07-2016, 09:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Manufacturers have a big interest in starting out with a decent tire for what the car is supposed to do. So that's a starting point for all the measurements.

I know from experience that the tire manufacturer date is important if you aren't going to put a lot of miles on them.

Brands, who knows. Dunlop is now the same as Goodyear. I have a hard time with brands invented after I started driving.

When I looked at snow tires for our Mercedes, I bought the tires that Mercedes uses for winter testing. I figure they wouldn't buy tires with poor winter grip. Tire Rack was great for this because I wanted a set of wheels too. I ordered wheels, tires, tire pressure sensors and even bolts. (Mercedes doesn't just complicate the world by using bolts, not lugnuts, but two or three incompatible shapes of bolts.) They mounted and balanced the wheels, and shipped them to me complete. I just swap them twice a year in my driveway.

09-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rupert,is your TT the latest or original model.My previous car was a Mark 1 ,since replaced with a more practical VW Golf,really loved the Audi though.Here's a picture (taken with the very basic camera I was using at the time)

PS I think it was on Pirelli tyres?(No free calendar-unfortunately!)
09-07-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Not owning a sports car, I can't help much. My own experience has revolved around pick up trucks and SUV's in recent years. I considered the Cooper Trendsetter the best I ever used. It was reasonably priced, handled well in all conditions and had excellent tread wear. I used them on Honda Civics, Chevy S10's/GMC Canyons, and early Honda CRV's. I would put them on as my first set of replacement tires for a vehicle and in many cases, never bought another set except for a couple of trucks that I ran to the 200K mile mark. My Civic coupe was a little "sporty" but not the same as your TT. I also have to consider snow performance in a purchase.

Unfortunately, that tire is not available in the size I need for our new CRV. It takes a low profile 17 inch. I am getting a new set tires in a couple of weeks with a different model of Coopers. They are recommended for small SUV's. They are also not cheap at over $150 each. That's still better than my Harley though. My last pair cost me over $600 mounted and installed and I'm lucky if I get a full season out of them.
09-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hi Rupert,

Have your front suspension checked before new tires.
The tie rod ends get a fair hammering with our roads here in Michigan!

50 Years ago I worked as a lube attendant after school and was the "chief" tyre fitter at that time of day and Saturday mornings.
How many kids can do that sort of stuff now?

Anyway the young guys in their hot cars used to come in with their pay checks and insist to buy top range tires,
even when told the front end was all loose.

09-07-2016, 09:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote

50 Years ago I worked as a lube attendant after school and was the "chief" tyre fitter at that time of day and Saturday mornings.
How many kids can do that sort of stuff now?
If they're anything like my nephews they have difficulty tying their own shoe laces!
I've tried teaching them practical stuff,but they just shrug their shoulders and say
"Why would I need to learn that stuff when the staff my parents will do it for me?"
09-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I've tried teaching them practical stuff,but they just shrug their shoulders
My 11 y/o son has low ( what I call) fine motor skills with his fingers, even though he is a top ball player.

I have made him aware of it and periodically i give a challenge to take some object apart and re-assemble it with small tools.
He seems to like doing that, so far.

It all reminds me of H.G. Wells' book "The Time Machine" where the end game people were pink gullible weakling sheep with no skills at all.
Well for pc, I can't say it is as bad as that yet, can I?
09-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"Why would I need to learn that stuff when the staff my parents will do it for me?"
Tim, that's not just this generation; rather every generation to some extent. I remember my mother battling me to learn how to sew; she was an expert! Even after I was married, I thought why should I go to the trouble to learn to sew, when mom will do it for me? Well, after she passed away, and I have had to pay to have things altered, etc., I finally figured out why I should have listened!

To get back on target, I'll look into the Cooper tires, as I will be needing 2 new ones for my Suburban, this fall or definitely next spring. I use the deep tread for my road.
09-07-2016, 10:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This might not be the way to choose tires for others, but for me it has worked out well.
You are lucky to have a tire man that knows your needs and gets you the right tires...most don't!

Hi Rupert,is your TT the latest or original model.My previous car was a Mark 1 ,since replaced with a more practical VW Golf,really loved the Audi though.Here'sicture (taken with the very basic camera I was using at the time)
Great looking TT! Mrs Rupert bought this for me a few years ago for being such a "good guy"...or maybe something else...I don't recall exactly? She bought me my new K1 too......maybe I am really a nice guy???
Anyhow...I do love it, such a fun car to drive and I keep it in mint condition....inside and out.

On our recent 5400 mile trip to Oregon I hit a big truck tire that flew off a truck in front us at 75mph...the tire went airborne and landed just in front of the right front wheel......did near $5K of damage, mostly cosmetic to the lower grill area. A seconds difference and it would have gone through the windshield and been the end of our trip...and us. We did manage to continue our trip, it was mechanically just fine.

I am enjoying the replies in this thread....I never considered tires as an interesting subject...but they are!

Regards!
09-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
You are lucky to have a tire man that knows your needs and gets you the right tires...most don't!
I agree; this gentleman was a friend of my husbands, and his family has been in the tire business since the mid-60's.
09-07-2016, 02:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey, Rupert.

I tend to like Bridgestones in recent years, not that I have any, and they seem to do well at most performance levels. I suggest you go for a 'touring' tire or whatever that fits your TT that leans most that way, for practicality's sake and versatility and all. If you want more grip, go up a speed rating, (or at least whatever may be on the tires you have) This brand seems to do well balancing noise and grip and durability and any promised all-seasonness. If they make Turanza's in your size I think you'll like them, (I think there's a slightly-sporty version) but also try not to go with a speed rating lower than you have because Audi's people may have designed around them.

This isn't to disparage other brands, but this is the best I've seen lately and a lot of people like other models of their stuff. They make many.
09-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I used to know tires, both motorcycle, car and truck tires. Now, not so much anymore. As suggested I do find my best resource is Tire Rack. If I'm in the market for tires I check out tire rack...ie; size, need, owner's assessments, etc. I find it an invaluable tool.

One of our cars requires a tire with a higher speed rating and given I live on the Canadian prairies I also want to have a tire that is rated for snow and ice, as we get 5 + months of winter and very cold temps each year.

I want to avoid having two sets of tires...winter rated and 4 season, which in some cases are more 3 season. Changing over twice a year and storage ...it's a pain...done that and I want to avoid if possible.

I am leaning towards Nokian which are a Finnish tire manufacturers and they have tires rated for all year use...and have the winter rating symbol, embossed on the tire wall. I'm just not sure whether they are in the speed rating that I need.

Generally I've stuck to Michelin for replacement, had good luck. But will see.

Back in 1969 when I got my '67 Camaro RS coupe (327 V8, 4 speed Muncie) I immediately slapped on some Red Line wide ovals...they were the big thing ...performance tire wise....back then. Now they wouldn't be considered perfomance at all.

My 1967 Matchless 750 Scrambler motorcycle has Dunlop K81 Universals...in their time well regarded bike tires.
09-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
How is your tire knowledge!
For what it is worth, I've been a factory rep for both Michelin and Goodyear. Every tire manufactured has the potential to be a dud, but there is nothing wrong with your choice. Assuming you aren't going to spend every day steering with the throttle around the test track, the Signature HP is going to give you longer than average tread life while still giving you W speed rated handling (I'm not sure what size you bought, but as far as I know your TT came with W rated tires, and that's what you should stick with). You won't want to push the handling limits of your tires (or your car) on North American roads, but downgrading the speed rating when you replace your original tires is not a good idea.

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
given I live on the Canadian prairies I also want to have a tire that is rated for snow and ice
My experience with Nokian tires that came with two used cars I have purchased over the last 8 years is not very good. Worse winter grip than other winter tires and wear faster than all season tires. By the way, where winter tires really excel is highway driving, the improvement in braking distance and lateral grip (keeping the vehicle going the direction you steer it in) is equivalent to at least 30 km/hr., even with less expensive winter tires. The danger in downgrading the speed rating of your tires is that it changes the handling of the vehicle when you change lanes to pass or go around a curve. If you don't leave urban areas and you don't have have steep hills, all season tires will get you around, year round, but if you plan to keep your vehicle for another 3-4 years you can offset some of the cost of winter tires by getting extra life out of your all-season tires. Buying steel wheels at the same time as your winter tires will pay for itself by the third year and your factory wheels will look better longer as well.