Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #46
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Audi looks great with new tires and those wheels, Rupert.

I'm probably the only guy around anymore, that still actually 'breaks in' new tires and new brakes....usually for the first 2-300 miles. Probably not needed anymore, but then I'm so old fashioned I still change my oil and filter every 3000 miles...no matter what my in car computer says.
Thanks Les, it does look good and handles great too. I'm with you on taking good care of all my vehicles. I run the best grade of Mobile 1 Synthetic and have since 1970...even in my lawnmower!
I like to drive a car in good shape, even if it is old. If you love it, then it is worth the expense and effort.

Here is a little project I did today...my license plate and bracket were lost when we hot that truck tire on the Interstate...we looked everywhere but they were just gone....I had made the bracket special to keep from drilling holes in the front body to mount plates....

Here is the old one...

This time I did it a little different but just as good....

Name:  DSCF0414-800.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  341.9 KB

Name:  DSCF0413-800.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  322.2 KB

I'll paint those bolts flat black and it will be just fine!

Regards!

---------- Post added 09-13-16 at 07:27 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
It's still good to 'bed in' new pads/new/resurfaced rotors.
Yep, it is Ratlady!

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
One thing those Dunlops have is an extra rib of rubber to protect your wheels.
I do think I'm gonna love these tires! We are planing a little trip again sometime this Fall....I look forward to getting the TT back on the long roads again.

09-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know what you mean about road trips. We're taking our Mercedes SLK to the Napa Valley on Thursday, looking forward to that kind of trip. Not as much interior room so there is a little more planning involved, but I can get out after a day of driving and feel pretty good.

RichardS mentioned Pirellis earlier in the thread so sort of on topic, it looks like our Pirellis are not that great. The car came with PZero summer tires and they wear quickly. Other SLK owners report that the rear suspension design eats rear tires by design. These rears will maybe make it to 13,000 miles. (I can't swap back to front because they are different sizes.)
09-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:

Regards!

I do think I'm gonna love these tires! We are planing a little trip again sometime this Fall....I look forward to getting the TT back on the long roads again.

Looks like it'll be OK. Might suggest placing it closer in to the grille when you do paint those parts, though: it should reduce any leverage on the grille material itself from wind buffeting or whatever it might encounter.

(Still an automotive pet peeve of mine that they still have those big fat front plates in states that require them when the actual numbers mean they could be half as tall. All these aerodynamic cars and then they make people stick a big flat billboard on em.

Tires and rims look pretty good from what I can see of em. (Let us know how they hold up. I've been wondering how 'Dunlops' will be under new ownership. When I eventually re-shoe the Ratmobile I'll be going a different way, basically on the sporty side of practical or practical side of sporty, (obviously don't need huge speed rating, and the pavement's pretty hot around here much of the time, ) but we'll see whenever that time comes. )
09-13-2016, 07:33 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like it'll be OK. Might suggest placing it closer in to the grille when you do paint those parts, though: it should reduce any leverage on the grille material itself from wind buffeting or whatever it might encounter.
That might be a good idea Ratlady....a little closer.....the grill is nylon and plenty strong but closer might be better...easy enough to adjust!

I know what you mean about road trips. We're taking our Mercedes SLK to the Napa Valley on Thursday, looking forward to that kind of trip. Not as much interior room so there is a little more planning involved, but I can get out after a day of driving and feel pretty good.
I drove every mile on that 5400 mile trip to Oregon and I never got uncomfortable in the TT and Mrs Rupert said it was the only long distance trip where she never got uncomfortable either. A very comfortable interior....and that tiny rear seat is perfect to hold your cameras for quick access when you want to take a shot. I bought this car for travel (Actually, Mrs Rupert bought it for me!) I had high expectations for it with the big trunk area and the turbo power for long or twisty roads. It has delivered far beyond my expectations.

Mrs Rupert packs a lot of stuff...and it all fits!

A fun car to travel in......for two people!

I didn't mention...I also got a 4 wheel alignment which should help handling and tire wear. It wasn't off much but it was off. The bad rear shocks were responsible for the tire wear. The new ones should remedy that.

Cars are fun things...until you start paying to keep them fun.

Regards!

09-13-2016, 09:06 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Thanks Les, it does look good and handles great too. I'm with you on taking good care of all my vehicles. I run the best grade of Mobile 1 Synthetic and have since 1970...even in my lawnmower!
I like to drive a car in good shape, even if it is old. If you love it, then it is worth the expense and effort.

Here is a little project I did today...my license plate and bracket were lost when we hot that truck tire on the Interstate...we looked everywhere but they were just gone....I had made the bracket special to keep from drilling holes in the front body to mount plates....

Here is the old one...

Attachment 325441

Attachment 325442

Very slick job. It's nice to come up with a solution that takes some brain work and inventiveness...as per your bracket. I don't about you, but when I'm able to figure out something like that...I much prefer it to buying some ready made product.

Les
09-14-2016, 05:18 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Very slick job. It's nice to come up with a solution that takes some brain work and inventiveness...as per your bracket. I don't about about you, but when I'm able to figure out something like that...I much prefer it to buying some ready made product.

Les
Agree.....as a plumber I was always trying to figure out ways to solve problems. When they work out it is great, when they don't you feel like a jackass fool!

Regards!
09-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The SLK can fold up the roof and rear window and put it in the trunk. So on trips I try to be extremely cool: put the top down walking up to the car. Then I realize I need to either get something out of the trunk or put something in. If it's just a little bigger than a camera bag, I have to put the top back up again.

We'll have enough room on the way there but I bet at some point my wife will want to buy wine. We'll see how many bottles ends up on the passenger's lap.

09-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
. . . . . . . . . .Here is a little project I did today...my license plate and bracket were lost when we hot that truck tire on the Interstate...we looked everywhere but they were just gone....I had made the bracket special to keep from drilling holes in the front body to mount plates....
Looks good, my friend. Did the tire do any body damage to the TT?

Jer

---------- Post added 09-14-2016 at 08:29 PM ----------

. . . . . . . . I drove every mile on that 5400 mile trip to Oregon and I never got uncomfortable in the TT and Mrs Rupert said it was the only long distance trip where she never got uncomfortable either. A very comfortable interior....and that tiny rear seat is perfect to hold your cameras for quick access when you want to take a shot. I bought this car for travel (Actually, Mrs Rupert bought it for me!) I had high expectations for it with the big trunk area and the turbo power for long or twisty roads. It has delivered far beyond my expectations . . . . . . . . .

Cars are fun things...until you start paying to keep them fun.

Regards!
Hey, Rupert - Connie and I are going to take my Bimmer M4 to Illinois in a couple of weeks; it'll be the first real road trip we've made in at least 15 years (we've been riding airplanes for a long time), so we decided to give a try. Do they still have rest stops on the Interstates?

Regarding cars as fun things, one of Newton's laws is the fun factor of a car is proportional to the cost of maintaining the car. The man invented calculus, so he knows what he's talking about.

Jer

---------- Post added 09-14-2016 at 08:48 PM ----------

. . . . . . . . . . .RichardS mentioned Pirellis earlier in the thread so sort of on topic, it looks like our Pirellis are not that great. The car came with PZero summer tires and they wear quickly. Other SLK owners report that the rear suspension design eats rear tires by design. These rears will maybe make it to 13,000 miles. (I can't swap back to front because they are different sizes.)
In April, I traded in my 2013 Boxster S (equipped with PZeros) with just short of 10,000 miles on the clock. The rear ones were noticeably worn but had a few thousand miles left; the front ones were like new, probably owing to the considerable rear weight bias of the Boxster. The Boxster's replacement, a 911 Carrera, also has PZeros and an even more extreme rear weight bias, so it'll be interesting to see how they behave in this regard.

My experience with sticky, summer performance tires (on a variety of cars) has been that if you want the grip, you gotta pay the price.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 09-14-2016 at 04:49 PM.
09-14-2016, 06:58 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Looks good, my friend. Did the tire do any body damage to the TT?
Yes, the lower front grill assembly and some mechanical damage to the AC condenser and all of the under-engine cowling as well as lower side panel damage where the tire exited on the passenger side. All total around $5K, but it could have been much worse, A half second difference and the tire would have come down and into the windshield...at 75mph that would not have been a good result.

Do they still have rest stops on the Interstates?
Yes, but in some areas they are rare...it is not like Texas out there for certain! Love it or hate it...McDonalds is a travelers best friend. Plenty of them, and when nature calls the Golden Arches are your best view of the day!

Regarding cars as fun things, one of Newton's laws is the fun factor of a car is proportional to the cost of maintaining the car. The man invented calculus, so he knows what he's talking about.
Only a fool would argue with that! ...but what fun it is!

My experience with sticky, summer performance tires (on a variety of cars) has been that if you want the grip, you gotta pay the price.
Being a moderate driver, I went sort of middle of the road...I'll see how it works out.

Jer, road trips are great in a fun car.....you will love it, but I will give you some notice...do keep away..well away ...from big trucks. I just read yesterday that 25% of all tires on big trucks are legally unsafe. I am a certified believer. Also be prepared for many miles of road repairs wit delays...some very long delays. Near El Paso they were taking down a bridge around midnight and we sat dead still for two hours among thousands of vehicles backed up for over 20 miles. This was not uncommon on the trip whenever we were on the Interstates. If you can find smaller road alternate routes, those may be better in both scenic and delay avoidance. Maybe even faster? For us, many were better by a long shot. Plan it out the best you can in advance....

We consulted with @Racer X 69 here before our trip . A former truck driver with a half million miles on most every road in America, and his advice and routing were the highlights of our trip. Ask him and he will be glad to give you some ideas...nice guy!

Best Regards...Be safe...have fun!

---------- Post added 09-14-16 at 09:01 PM ----------

We'll have enough room on the way there but I bet at some point my wife will want to buy wine. We'll see how many bottles ends up on the passenger's lap.
The TT is a dream for space when traveling. That trunk space is big and deep..and the tiny back seat makes small things like cameras a snap to reach. Easy to unload...easy to reload. we really enjoy that part!

Regards!
09-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Yes, the lower front grill assembly and some mechanical damage to the AC condenser and all of the under-engine cowling as well as lower side panel damage where the tire exited on the passenger side. All total around $5K, but it could have been much worse, A half second difference and the tire would have come down and into the windshield...at 75mph that would not have been a good result.

The TT is a dream for space when traveling. That trunk space is big and deep..and the tiny back seat makes small things like cameras a snap to reach. Easy to unload...easy to reload. we really enjoy that part!

Regards!
Oof, sounds like I missed a story, there. I think those TTs would be interesting if they came in a shooting-brake wagon-back sort of form, or at least a swoopier hatchback. (If I suddenly jumped several income brackets I might check out one of those Volvo C30s they were making a while for zipping around purposes. At least till I finished building something older. ) Of course I saw a beige Toyota 86/ maybe still Scion,in front of a dealer a couple months ago, (One of those Scubayotions, as I call them, same car different badges) and yeah, I was like 'I'd be lookin.' Rear drive coupe, old-fashioned stick shift, modest enough power you don't have to go to a track to really drive em, .. interesting. Well, in beige, anyway.
09-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oof, sounds like I missed a story, there.
Yeah, it's back there in a thread somewhere in June.....we narrowly missed a catastrophe.
You don't need a beige car Ratlady, it's not your style!

Regards!
09-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Yeah, it's back there in a thread somewhere in June.....we narrowly missed a catastrophe.
You don't need a beige car Ratlady, it's not your style!

Regards!
How would you know. Actually I'd been agitating with the Universe to start seeing some of the old nonmetallic colors come back, (I'm not talking about that wishywashy metallic silver-beige you still see, like a nice putty/buff color such as goes way back to the 50s, or 30s. All gloss, no sparkle. Actually I like the Ratmobile's color, though you could literally see the clearcoat damage from orbit for a while there, (still working on that, but yeah, I Google Earthed my house at one point and was like, Whoa. )

Actually fave color for those TT's is that glossy nonmetallic dove grey I've seen a few times. Though the thing is cars are particularly monotonous, colorswise. School colors are red and black and most of the rest you see is some shade of silver, some white, etc.

New digs don't make it very easy to work on paint, but I'm hoping to do something more soon, (This paint code is the envy of many Volvo fans around here, actually respraying a different color might have repercussions. Though I do like this, used to be my fave nail polish color once upon a time. ) ...and meanwhile, hey, one place I've got most of these fancy cars beat is.. I can put racks for like a van on and carry pipes and lumber.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 09-14-2016 at 08:59 PM.
09-14-2016, 08:58 PM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
.and meanwhile, hey, one place I've got most of these fancy cars beat is.. I can put racks for like a van on and carry pipes and lumber.
The Ratmobile is looking better than ever Ratlady...always did love the color! Racks are handy, The TT has a place for clipping on racks, though I can't imagine ever doing it?

Best Regards!
09-14-2016, 11:17 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rupert, I have a 1995 Acura 6 speed coupe which has 110,000 miles on her. She is a dream to drive. Switched over to the Cooper C6,s about 8 years ago. What a performance tire. Quiet, great in rain, corners like hell. Highly recommend. Put them on my wife's car. She loves them. Have gone through Michellans, Good Year, Bridgestone's, Pirelles etc. and nothing can touch the Coopers.
I apologize for my spelling....😏
09-15-2016, 08:58 AM   #60
Veteran Member

The Ratmobile is looking better than ever Ratlady...always did love the color! Racks are handy, The TT has a place for clipping on racks, though I can't imagine ever doing it?

Best Regards!
Hee. I suppose you never know, though of course you've got your choice of what to drive: I have seen those with like ski and bike racks on them, presumably that's part of the market for these type cars: someone pops the skis on top and goes to their ski slopes, etc. Apart from just liking the shape and having a roof over and behind me, I tend to figure little zippy cars for me may as well have a hatchback or wagon-back on there: more likely I'd actually use em for more trips, and, well, back home at least, a lot of my favorite driving roads pass flea markets and yard sales and the like.

Of course, with the right budget, you can do a hec of a lot with older Volvo wagons: they're so *light* compared to more modern ones you don't need ridiculous horsepower to have a good time, even. (for little zippiness I'd consider getting hold of a like 77 Celica hatchback and just modernize some of it: you can get just about anything in custom brakes and suspension these days, still get 30+mpg if you don't get too crazy with the power. )