Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-11-2016, 01:53 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Chris,

One of our best vehicles was a '97 Chevy Astro. We ordered it from the factory with the heavy duty suspension, oversize tires, mid level seats, locking axle, 3.42 final drive ratio (for towing) and the optional rear heater.

It had the powerful Vortec 4300 V6, which was essentially the legendary Chevy 350 cube V8...with 2 cylinders cut off. It was quite a torquey beast and could move full loads quite well. We had a RV trailer and with a full load of baggage, our 4 family members did a lot of cross country (both USA and Canada) camping.

After the first tires needed to be replaced I them with Michelin LTX-M/S...light truck tires...P series. The size was odd with the HD suspension... 235/65-15...so the closest I could get were 225/70-15. I spoke to the Michelin factory man and he indicated these would be good replacement tires. They were.

The payload was around 1800 to close to 1,900 lbs. (could be out a bit out...relying on memory) which was significant for a light truck van type, rear wheel drive. The Astro-GMC Safari's were different and could be equipped heavier duty than the typical front wheel drive mini vans at the time, and given the towing duty we needed, I felt the Astro with factory option HD suspension, was a good choice for our service needs, as was the locking drive (Eaton brand) axle. If it wasn't for towing, a smaller, lighter duty FWD van would probably have been our choice.

Anyway we had our Astro for 10 years and had many 1000's of miles on it...with little difficulty. It coped well with every demand and with the very long, cold winters we have in my part of the world...western Canada. In fact, if GM had still made the Astro/Safari when we replaced it, we might of replaced it with another one.

I could well understand why many firms used commercial (non passenger window) Astro vans. It was a tough, robust vehicle.

An excellent vehicle, but it's attributes never included even one sliver of sportiness....like my '67 Camaro or '62 Volvo PV544s. That might be why I din't include it on my original list. But reconsidering, I wish to amend. I'll add it to my list, but as a useful, family utility vehicle.

09-11-2016, 04:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I mentioned the $600/year figure to my wife. Then we both thought about how long we'd have to keep her Mercedes for it to come close to that. Pretty sure we're not living that long.

I liked driving a Chevy S10 for a rental car company for a while. This was pre-Vortec so they had the 2.8l V6. They used them to tow cars with those UHaul-type trailers that hold two wheels off the ground. The company was not that interested in maintenance costs. The trailer broke one day on the Pennsylvania Turnpike and I got hit by a jackknifing Ford LT9000. Totaled the truck, the car I was towing, and the tractor-trailer had a claim for like $15,000. My wife encouraged me to switch to an office job.
09-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #18

My all time favorite is the 1969 Pontiac Catalina Convertible. Mine had the 400 but I quickly blew that one up and dropped a 428 out of a 67 Grand Prix into it. Well I dropped it in after I did a few modifications to it. Won a bunch of money racing that car.

If I ever get the finances I'm getting another one to wrench on with Little G.
09-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Astros were a tough vehicle but they did go through a lot of tires.
My company also used Dodge Caravans and Plymouth Voyagers.
These FWD minivans were more comfortable and got better MPG,
but they didn't hold up very well to the rigors of driving in NYC.

Chris

09-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Les - thanks for initiating a terrific thread. By my rough calculation: since I got my first car when I was 17, my wife Connie (who came along a few years later ) and I have owned an eclectic mixture of 29 vehicles. While I loved many of them dearly, five of these cars had a special impact, because they scratched an itch that their predecessors couldn’t quite reach. I'm fortunate that two of those five are in my garage right now.

1964.5 Mustang: Shortly after I graduated from high school, I took delivery of a made-to-order V8, 4-Speed Mustang equipped with - among other things - a Rally Pac which included (Glory Be!!!) a tachometer. That little car was hardly cutting edge, but after learning to drive in a Morris Minor and then lugging around a spongy, turgid 6-cylinder Comet convertible for a couple of years, the peppy little Mustang felt glorious and I adored it such that I put 65,000 mile on the poor thing in just a little over two years.

1995 MX-5 Miata: When moving from Michigan to Texas in ‘95, I wanted a convertible, and there was only one target: a Miata - I'd lusted for one since they were introduced in '89. After about a decade of FWD, it was a breath of fresh air to drive a light, balanced RWD sports car (as a consequence, there's been at least one RWD car in the garage ever since).

2008 Porsche Boxster: After three Miatas I was ready for something different, so in 2009 - a few months after I retired - I traded for a Certified, lightly used Boxster 2.7. That modestly-equipped car introduced me to the characteristic that I’ve come to love about the marque: the suckers plug into your brain stem as soon as you plop your posterior into the driver’s seat.

2015 BMW M4 Coupe: In 2003, my daily drivers became BMWs, and near the end of 2014, I impulsively swapped my135i coupe for an M4 - a whole new experience. M cars have a delightful combination of explosive performance, incredible chassis dynamics, every day utility and an embarrassing level of luxury - a bad ass SOB with concierge services and an electrically operated, rear window sunshade. Every time I drag my nearly 70-year-old carcass into the driver’s seat, I grin and think: “still crazy after all these years.”

2015 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio: After the 2017 911s started appearing on dealer’s lots earlier this spring, I traded my second Boxster (a 2013 S model) for an amazingly-priced, left-over 911 Cab that had my name on it. While Boxsters are marvelous, my 911 has a combination of poise and precision I’ve never encountered before, and the damn dual clutch tranny (Porsche’s PDK) can read your mind.

Last edited by Sailor; 09-13-2016 at 05:58 PM.
09-15-2016, 12:02 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey Les - thanks for initiating a terrific thread. By my rough calculation: since I got my first car when I was 17, my wife Connie (who came along a few years later ) and I have owned an eclectic mixture of 29 vehicles. While I loved many of them dearly, five of these cars had a special impact, because they scratched an itch that their predecessors couldn’t quite reach. I'm fortunate that two of those five are in my garage right now.

Thank you, Glad you like the thread idea. I am a curious sort and always like to hear people's stories...about their lives, why they do things, what they like and don't like. In fact I drive my wife nuts at times with my penchant for making a stop at a farm, salvage yard, etc., during trips, if I see an old vintage vehicle outside. I always ask the owner for permission to shoot the car, but I find an added side benefit...many times I get into interesting conversations with people. Just awhile ago, in a trip through northern mid west states, I enjoyed a few conversation with Americans...ranging from American and world politics...to why they liked their beat up (pardon me, patina ) 1937 Chevy pickup so much, and of course every subject in between. BTW, got my first car when I was 17 also.

1964.5 Mustang: Shortly after I graduated from high school, I took delivery of a made-to-order V8, 4-Speed Mustang equipped with - among other things - a Rally Pac which included (Glory Be!!!) a tachometer. That little car was hardly cutting edge, but after learning to drive in a Morris Minor and then lugging around a spongy, turgid 6-cylinder Comet convertible for a couple of years, the peppy little Mustang felt glorious and I adored it such that I put 65,000 mile on the poor thing in just a little over two years.

I recall these early '64.5 cars well. I always hankered after a first generation Mustang fastback, particularly with the 289/271 hp, 4 speed. I still love these cars...an American sports car, in my view. You are a lucky man to have an early Mustang with V8 and 4 speed. I went to the dark side, back then, buying a Chevy....a '67 Camaro RS coupe, 327 V8, 4 speed.

1995 MX-5 Miata: When moving from Michigan to Texas in ‘95, I wanted a convertible, and there was only one target: a Miata - I'd lusted for one since they were introduced in '89. After about a decade of FWD, it was a breath of fresh air to drive a light, balanced RWD sports car (as a consequence, there's been at least one RWD car in the garage ever since).

My wife always wanted one of these delightful little sports cars. They remind me of where the 50's/60's British sports car should of evolved, but with Japanese reliability and durability. My uncle had a late '40's Triumph sports car, when he was stationed in England in the late 1940's. He was taking further officers training and in the Royal Canadian Engineers. I often thought he must of enjoyed driving down English country roads in his Triumph convertible back in this era.

2008 Porsche Boxster: After three Miatas I was ready for something different, so in 2009 - a few months after I retired - I traded for a Certified, lightly used Boxster 2.7. That modestly-equipped car introduced me to the characteristic that I’ve come to love about the marque: the suckers plug into your brain stem as soon as you plop your posterior into the driver’s seat.

2015 BMW M4 Coupe: In 2003, my daily drivers became BMWs, and near the end of 2014, I impulsively swapped my135i coupe for an M4 - a whole new experience. M cars have a delightful combination of explosive performance, incredible chassis dynamics, every day utility and an embarrassing level of luxury - a bad ass SOB with concierge services and an electrically operated, rear window sunshade. Every time I drag my nearly 70-year-old carcass into the driver’s seat, I grin and think: “still crazy after all these years.”

BMW the driver's car. Quite apt.

Although I've never had a BMW, my son recently bought a new BMW F 700 (800cc twin) GS motorcycle. I've ridden it and find it to be a blast to ride. Very good power, excellent handling, precise response and solid braking with it's three Brembo disc brakes. It's very refined compared to many other motorcycles I have ridden over the years. BMW whether car or motorcycle is a premium performance brand and for good reason.

I'm just 2.5 years or so from 70 myself and appreciate that I'm still able to take quick motorcycle for a ride. Or run my car to 7000 rpm ...but only in first and second on the highway...any gear past second @ 7000... would get me stopped by the Mounties.

2015 Porsche 911 Carrera Cabrio: After the 2017 911s started appearing on dealer’s lots earlier this spring, I traded my second Boxster (a 2013 S model) for an amazingly-priced, left-over 911 Cab that had my name on it. While Boxsters are marvelous, my 911 has a combination of poise and precision I’ve never encountered before, and the damn dual clutch tranny (Porsche’s PDK) can read your mind.
I've always wanted a 911. I still recall first reading about the model, back in the early '60's in R&T. Firstly, flat, boxer engines whether air or liquid cooled, hold a fascination for me. I've had three, '60's VW engines. The flat engines, with their low CG, relatively minimal space requirements and unique design hold an appeal for me that has been life long.

The 911 aside from it's mechanical excellence ...has what I have always felt from it's inception...a wonderful style. That modified tear drop shape is incomparable. To use two descriptors that are hackneyed ...the 911 has a shape that is both iconic and classic.

Last edited by lesmore49; 09-15-2016 at 12:13 PM.
09-15-2016, 03:00 PM   #22
Forum Member

Car: 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner. It was just the right car, at just the right time of my life.

Motorcycle: I had a few, but with apologies to my Harley's, I give the nod to my 1968 Triumph Daytona. Again, just a matter of timing.

Truck: That's harder. Trucks were tools...I don't recall loving any of them. I did really like a 70's Ford that had an engine compartment so big I could sit in there out of the rain to tear off the top end. Nothing I really miss, though.

09-15-2016, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #23

I like cars, own a truck but love motorcycles!

No fav cars or trucks.

I bought a 1969 Norton Commando in '69 and I loved that bike! I hated the Lucas ignition, but when I wasn't stuck by the side of the road with electrical problems, it was glorious!

Now that I'm 65, I don't scrape the pegs on cafe racers anymore. Instead, I scrape the floorboards on my '07 Roadking with my vintage, 1956 biker babe!

I live in Reno, NV so a twisty, mountain road is never far away.................
09-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
. . . . . . . .I've always wanted a 911. I still recall first reading about the model, back in the early '60's in R&T. Firstly, flat, boxer engines whether air or liquid cooled, hold a fascination for me. I've had three, '60's VW engines. The flat engines, with their low CG, relatively minimal space requirements and unique design hold an appeal for me that has been life long.

The 911 aside from it's mechanical excellence ...has what I have always felt from it's inception...a wonderful style. That modified tear drop shape is incomparable. To use two descriptors that are hackneyed ...the 911 has a shape that is both iconic and classic.
Thank you for such a delightful and thoughtful reply.

My first encounter with Porsche was driving a 912 in 1970 while a grad student; I couldn't afford it (even close) but I lusted for a Porsche for decades until I got that first Boxster in '09. The current 911 - in my view - is an elegantly engineered eccentricity - that's why I love it so much.

BTW, I was also a turncoat. That first Mustang was followed by a Cougar in 1967 (which I liked but never quite loved) and a 1969 Mach I with which I never really "connected" for a number of reasons. In '71, I traded the Mach for a wonderful '71 Camaro - clean lines, cleanly styled, fun to drive and had an A/C that actually worked. I kept it for four years and almost listed it as one of my absolute favorites - it's mighty close. Later I bought a loaded, 4-spd '75 Camaro and an '82 Z28.

Jer
09-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #25

I have owned 15 cars so far and some company cars also. It is hard to pick one favorite.
My first car was a 55 chevy Bel Air 265 power glide, nothing great but it was the first car bought it for 350 dollars in 1964.
Then in 69 came back from over seas while in the service, bought a 69 vw beetle, with a crank open sun roof, put headers on it, fun car.
Next interesting car was a 70 Datsun 510, great car, poor mans BMW 2002. I traded that in for a 76 Mazda Cosmo, wankel engine.
That was a classy car inside and out, and that engine should rev. Then came a 83 vw gti, that was a real fun car to drive.
I currently have two cars that I love, 1st is a 03 vw jetta tai wagon with 317,000 miles, getting 50 plus mpg, can't beat that diesel engine.
The other is a Saturn Sky, which is my vet that Ill never be able to afford, fun car to drive.
10-08-2016, 06:26 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most unusual car I owned was an Elva Courier roaster, equipped with a MGB 1800cc engine. That little car, weighing in at 1,425 pounds, was a hoot to drive with its fully independent suspension. It clung to the road like it was on rails and was a total thrill to drive.

A brief history of Elva Cars and the Courier
10-08-2016, 08:09 PM   #27
Veteran Member

i'm definitely younger than most on here, i've had a few cars and many bikes, but funnily enough my favorite of each is the one i have currently.

for cars i went through an 86 rx7, a couple of subarus, and have now have a nice alpine white on red leather e92 m3. it's a wonderful car and the sounds that come from the 4.0L v8 are intoxicating to say the least. i'll keep this one for a while if i'm able.

the bikes is a longer story. i started on an old 96 zx7r, then moved onto a lovely 2003 honda rc51. this was the bike that i really truly loved, i had it for almost 8 years and many many miles and mishaps before i sold it after purchasing a 2010 ktm rc8r. another lovely bike but a complete lemon. it was in and out of the shop constantly and had a veracious appetite for water pumps. i sold that and did a cbr 600rr project that i thoroughly enjoyed, but it was lacking a certain je ne sais quois. it was a fantastic bike, did nothing wrong, but i didn't love it the way i loved my rc51, so i sold it and bought another rc51. and that is where i am now. very very happy with the choice i've made and again, i hope to have this bike for a long, long time.

10-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #28

Cars I had that I wish I had kept...1970 Cuda, 1973 Roadrunner, 1972 GTO optioned Lemans, and my dads 1949 Mercury woodie. the first three were in great shape, but the woodie would have cost at least 25k to restore. sold for over 19k though.
10-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A coupe others to add to my list:

1964 Triumph TR4

1971 Pontiac Lemans Sport convertible, copper with baige top, 350 CID, V8. The Lemans Sport, at the time, was considered the poor mans GTO.

1972 Corvette with a fully built 350, fire engine red.

1975 Pontiac Grand Prix

1986 Buick T-Type, an interesting C body vehicle with the renowned 3.8L, V6. That car was a real sleeper for its day.

---------- Post added 10-09-16 at 12:35 PM ----------

Cars I missed out on buying:

1964 Porsche 356 Speedster in pristine condition

1963 Corvette split-window coupe in like new condition for $3,000 in 1985.

Oh, well. I'm sure we all have plenty of these stories also!

Last edited by onlineflyer; 10-09-2016 at 09:35 AM.
10-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #30
PDL
Pentaxian

My history of cars:
Parents cars:
1966 Dodge Coronet - 318V8 automatic, my fathers first new car - learned to drive in it. We called it Gypsy since it was stripped down (options - AM/FM radio and third seat belt in the front.
1958 Pontiac - Pink - aka Pink Panther - 300+ 4speed auto - ran like a bat out of Hades, had to use premium (ethel) fuel when we went to colorado, the lower altitude really made it ping.
My cars.
1964.5 Ford Mustang - 260V8 3speed std. aka Porno (named after a white horse named Pornic in some HS reading gotta do. - Ran that car into the ground - it did get 44mph though (at 55mph).
Mid seventies Plymouth duster - slant six (bought from my father when I broke the Mustang) aka - green turd. My wife literally had to blow a fire out on the engine, ya know, like birthday candles?
At the same time - brown Aspen station wagon - (I was working out of state and left the wife for the summer) aka brown turd. Sold it when it took a quart of transmission fluid a week - no leaks.
1985 - Nissan NX - my first "new car" - drove that until 1994, well over 200,000 miles. Fun car - got 45 mph at 55mph. (love the fold away headlights.
We bought a Subaru station wagon for my wife in 1984 (drove that poor thing until 2001).
1994 - My favorite car - Eagle Talon TSI - 2 liter, dual overhead cams, intercooled turbocharger, AWD 5 speed standard (Got it up to 115mph in Montanna in 1997 - legally - still had at least 3K RPM before redline) Also drove it into the ground. Never let my teenage son drive it, it would have killed him.
2001 - bought a 2002 Jaguar X-Type, son learned how to drive in it. I had to wait until I was 50 to drive a Jag - he started off in one - life just ain't fair) We still have it and drive it all the time - 150,000+ miles
2008 - Subaru Impreza - hatchback - my get around car, Almost 37,000 miles on it. I don't drive all that much anymore.

We bought my son a used 1995 Subaru 4 door, don't know the model. He bought a VW hatchback last year.

If I had won the lottery, I would have had the Talon - blueprinted and balanced. Not the fastest thing off the line, but only twits think drag racing is real racing, or NASCAR - Go F1.