Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2016, 10:13 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gloom & Doom Got You Down?

It's Sat morning and the morning read of the news brings the usual gloom and doom to my starting day and tries to alter my mood.

Feeling a little depressed...... when Mrs Rupert brought me this, and I cheered up...it's not all bad news out there.

Maybe it will cheer you up a little too!

Brought back memories of "my story" of a candy loving little 3 year old.....

If you have time, it is Sat morning and sort of slow here....if not, the Jaybird understands!

It was back a few years ago....six or seven...and I had been retired for a couple of years. I ate lunch most every day at the same place I had for years, a local family owned Convenience Store called Pak-A-Sak. I knew everyone and most of the customers.
The Mgr and her daughter worked the store, and the daughter had brought in her young 3 yr old daughter one day to stay in a booth until she finished her shift working as a cook in the deli section.
The adorable little girl was all over the place and constantly being reprimanded by her granny. I asked the little girl her name...Allee...and told her to take a seat across from me in the booth where I was eating lunch. I asked her mom/granny if I could buy her a candy bar and some chocolate milk. Sure!...they replied, anything to keep her in one spot until we get off work!

So we had candy, "chokit" milk...and some toys..they had a big table full of toys for sale and who could deny her toys?

The next day when I came in, Allee was promptly in her place across from me in my booth. "Chokit milk, Mr Jim?" ...sure Allee, anything you want, just ask!
For the next six months every weekday was an Allee day! We had fun, we had tons of chocolate and gallons of Chokit milk...and all the toys the store had to sell.....and at Christmas even more they didn't. If I was late getting to the store she glued herself to the big windows and watched and waited...often asking customers to leave and go look for "Mr Jim".

Her brother Tristan was in pre school and we saw him every so often and he also reaped the bounties his sister reaped...just not as often. He was a genuine live wire and "frog in his pocket" kind of guy.....hyper to the core and always in trouble, but a riot to enjoy!

This was a daily event for over six months and brought joy to my every day. It is also reason to keep your camera handy at all times...your memory may fade and some highlights become dim...but photos can bring them back in a second!

I think this was that first day when she wanted some "chokit" candy...

and toys...lots of toys!

Her first sunshades.....she wanted yellow...she got yellow, took me a week to find yellow ones!

Tristan...."All I get is a cracker?"

They are all here in this album......
Allee | Flickr

I spent close to $1K on her and her brother in that six months....every dime worth spending. When the store was sold I felt lost, but still keep up with granny, their mom, and the kids. Wonderful memories...captured with photos for lasting joy.

Here is what reminded me of the opening video.....Allee was a Chokit addict...she never had enough. Maybe it was wrong to feed her addiction, but I have no regrets. (Neither does she!)

One day I let her go Chokit wild...anything and everything she wanted that was Chokit.....I will never forget that day..she was in a Chokit trance...and I captured it!

Serious business!

You can eat and drink Chokit at the same time....

Sure, it's a little messy, but well worth it!

Children are the light of the world, the hope of the future, and the joy of today. Take lots of pictures...you won't regret it!

Best Regards! on this rainy gloomy Sat morning......hope some of this brightened your day!
Rupert

09-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Best Regards! on this rainy gloomy Sat morning......hope some of this brightened your day! Rupert
It did! Nice post, Rupert By the way, I *like* the rain, gloom, and COOLER weather today.
09-10-2016, 06:51 PM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Gloom & Doom Got You Down?
A lovely, personal story Rupert. You are a good man Mr.Jim.
09-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The video was taken at a Seattle Mariners game.

The look on the little girls face is indicative of the effect the M's have had on us lately.

09-11-2016, 06:32 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
A lovely, personal story Rupert. You are a good man Mr.Jim.
Well, it's not like I didn't get anything out of it.....if there was a "winner" in all of that babysitting and candy/toy buying, it was definitely old Rupert!

...and think of all the camera practice I got...and processing fun I had! Yep, I'd do it all again, gladly!

Allee

Regards!
09-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #6

Is that the little girl you used to post shots of all the time then she moved away?
09-13-2016, 07:07 AM   #7

Hey Rupert, this is my bright spot of the day.

No. I didn't take this shot.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Canon EOS 5D Mark III  Photo 
09-13-2016, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Hey Rupert, this is my bright spot of the day.
We have many bright spots in a day.....it's just far too often we miss them or let them slip by without notice.

When Allee was running wild in the store that day, I was on my way out shortly....look at all I would have missed in the future if I had!

Regards!