Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-12-2016, 01:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PC woes - endless blue screens of death

I'm having some frustrating PC issues. On win7 Pro, with AMD Crimson driver for my graphics card installed, every few hours I get a BSOD (blue screen of death). If I uninstall it then I don't. But I need the driver for the card. I'm somewhat perplexed - computer says no. Anyone have any great ideas?

09-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it possible that the problem is the card and not the driver?
If you can roll back the driver to a previous version, I'd try that. If the problem is still there, I'd suspect the card is the issue.
09-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I'll try rolling back first. It's annoying cause I can't figure out any cause
09-13-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
Closed Account

Hi Nass. I hope this is of some help.

Everything You Need To Know About the Blue Screen of Death

09-13-2016, 03:41 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd research support forums related to your graphics card, as an old or incompatible driver can cause a host of issues. Sometimes there are also simple workarounds for seemingly big problems

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-13-2016, 06:08 AM   #6

Check to see if there is a newer version of drivers. Try the graphics chip makers website rather than the card vendor, i.e. AMD vs ASUS. Vendor sites tend to lag behind. Or as suggested before try previous or older versions.

Check the GPU BIOS revision. You can find a database of GPU firmware at the link below. You can get their GPUz tool to identify your card a firmware revision. You probably need a firmware flash tool which you should be able to get there also:
VGA Bios Collection | techPowerUp

Tutorial on updating GPU BIOS
How to Upgrade Your GPU BIOS - GPUs - Graphics Cards
09-13-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
mee
Veteran Member

What are your Power Supply specs? If it is underpowered, when you're using the graphics driver, it could be tapping more into the graphics card and thus giving your BSOD. The generic driver doesn't support most of the features of your GPU but the brand specific one does..

Alternatively, you may want to try this (at your own risk) Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 17.0.1.1

If this was me, I'd run that, do a 'Clean and Shutdown' and then on bootup install the new driver and see if that is any better.

09-13-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks folks, that gives me a few avenues to investigate. Otherwise I might have to return the darned thing =(
09-16-2016, 01:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All sorted. User error.

On another note if you suffer from overly noisy fans, I can't talk highly enough of the "bequiet" range of pc fans. A product that actually lives up to its name!
09-16-2016, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

LOL
True story: Before my son was born, my wife and I were discussing names. I suggested Bequiet as a middle name.
She wouldn't go for it.
09-16-2016, 06:43 AM   #11
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
LOL
True story: Before my son was born, my wife and I were discussing names. I suggested Bequiet as a middle name.
She wouldn't go for it.
Yeah, women are sometimes fussy that way
09-18-2016, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I too have Windows 7 and get periodic "blue screens".

I would not be surprised if Microsoft is doing this on purpose in order to get Windows 7 users to update to Windows 10 (so that they can collect even more personal data on you)...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 09-18-2016 at 08:23 AM.
Closed Thread