Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Assistant shooter

for those of you that have been assistant shooters for a photographer at a wedding, how did you go about becoming one? My aunts having a wedding, and i would like to maybe do some shooting there to get some experience.

02-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Get a portfolio of strong images together (if you haven't shot weddings before then a portfolio of candid and studio portraits is okay). Call around to local wedding photographers and see if any of them are interested in looking for second shooters and if they are interested in looking at your portfolio.

Most working wedding photographers have a network of other photographers who they work with. I have photographers who I call if I need a second shooter or if something happens (like the birth of my daughter last year) and I need someone to cover for me.

Although I run my own studio I also work with a couple other photographers in my area of the country and cover weddings for them from time to time if I don't have a wedding booked during a weekend when another photographer needs me.
02-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #3

I have a few friends who are wedding photographers so I just asked if I could tag along and learn a thing or two while helping out. My (limited) experience was enough for me to realize I don't want to do weddings for a living! Basically, I learned that these are the primary duties of a wedding photographer (in this order):
1) counselor to the bride
2) conflict mediator
3) gopher/errand runner/whateverthebridewantsatthemoment person
4) photographer

But I don't want to discourage you!