Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why I am starting to hate Ebay........

[RANT]
While we're all talking Ebay now:

I have noticed a disturbing trend in Pentax Forums (all of them!) lately. Every time somebody discovers an Auction - yes the hidden, misspelled, wrong category ones, they must instantly broadcast the link to everybody else, as if they were the seller of the item.

There were at least 5 auctions in the last month that I had found after spending literally hours searching, where I was hoping to get a nice bargain lens or other weird Pentax item. Nobody interested, nobody seen it - according to Page Hits for example.

Then someone broadcasts the link and WHAM! The bidding goes through the roof and Newbie1 and Newbie2 drive a 50 Dollar bargain to 300 Dollars. Great if you're the seller, but mostly WE are not the sellers, because the items I am talking here are mainly Estate sale finds from people who have no clue what they are selling, not Pentax users.

Bargain lens hunting was part of the (my) enjoyment of owning a camera system that allows the usage of older lenses, For years I have found nice old lenses that nobody cared about. I guess that fun has ended now. Sort of LBA gone bad - the curse of owning Pentax gear, and not having large amounts of money to spend on lenses.

I wish we could just stop broadcasting Ebay links in ongoing auctions, unless we are the sellers, and then do it in the Sale Trade forum. DPReview even has a rule about linking to live Ebay auctions, although it gets broken all the time. Well just my 00.2
[/RANT]

02-14-2007, 10:21 AM   #2
Inactive Account

thats why i ususally dont get lenses from ebay lol. you could probably pick up a few on KEH
02-14-2007, 10:31 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I feel your pain. I have recently been looking like you for the hidden bargains. I must admit I almost became a offender, buy posting a link last night but my better judgement took hold. I have posted links after the bids closed out of curiousity of who might have been the lucky ones. I agree and make this pledge to not post a link unless bid has closed.
02-14-2007, 10:50 AM   #4

I feel your frustration! That would be more annoying than the people that start driving up the bids with 5 days left on the auction.

02-14-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I have to agree totally with your feelings and linking to an active action should be prohibited her and everywhere. If you know a friend is looking for a lens then Pm or E-mail him the link but don't put it on the forum.
02-14-2007, 12:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Almost got myself a SMC-K 28/2.8 for a good price, only to be sniped. Now I'm just going to the local pawn shops.
02-14-2007, 12:35 PM   #7

Tell me about it.. I stumbled across 2 sigma 28-70 2.8 for 10 bucks. Now one is up to 77 bucks.. Was hoping to snatch one of them up.. We'll see what happens.

02-14-2007, 05:02 PM   #8
roy
Inactive Account

i think we could all agree not to post active auctions.. if a newbie posted one then someone could ask them to delete it as per an unposted rule. someone could start a poll to get some votes here for , for & against..
02-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

yeah....i hate n00b buyers. they bid on day 1, just to ramp up the price. not even worth sniping or anything. rather annoying.
02-14-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm with you HR, I got real steamed a coule of weeks ago when some nerd on dpr put up a link on a lens I've been looking for and the bid went up $100 within an hour.
Lensless tom
02-14-2007, 06:39 PM   #11

I believe most people share the info trying to be helpful to others on here. I don't think they mean any malice in it, and I don't think it's a big deal, but that's just my opinion.
If there is someone out shopping for a lens, they may find it anyway. I don't think I have ever followed anyones link to an auction, as I normally think it's the seller spamming the forums!
02-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by -=JoN=- Quote
yeah....i hate n00b buyers. they bid on day 1, just to ramp up the price. not even worth sniping or anything. rather annoying.
lol, i learned to snipe after the first thing i ever tried to buy... i bid early, like any n00b, then i watched it close, 1 snipe bid later from someone and i lost it...
02-14-2007, 08:17 PM   #13

I ALWAYS snipe. It's the best part of bidding on something that I want.
02-14-2007, 10:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

yeah, sniping is the best. got a good deal on a logitech mx rev mouse.

retails for 100$
sniped it with 10 seconds left. paid 60 shipped.
02-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Last year there was a lens that i was looking at two hours to go, DPR link and then a 350 USD jump in price within two minutes. pissed me right off, worked out for the better though cause i didn't really have the money spare at the time (:P)