Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-14-2016, 06:35 AM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

U-Haul has various size vans, trucks and trailers available for local moves.
I have rented from several of their locations. They always held what I reserved,
equipment was in good condition, and rates were good with no hidden charges.

Chris

10-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My experience with Enterprise car / van hire was disappointing. Having touted the "American customer service" angle in their TV ads and having a hire place within walking distance of my home, I rang Enterprise to book a large and tall van for a Sunday.

It had to be Sunday as the two people offering to help me move were coming over to the mainland from the Isle of Wight that day and access to the property where I needed to move the bedroom furniture from was not likely to offer space for the van close enough to be viable Monday to Saturday and space close enough was only usually available on a Sunday.

First off, the site close to me was shut on Sundays and they were unwilling to let me have a van from last thing Saturday to first thing Monday, but 6 to 7 miles away, near Southampton docks, they did have a place open on Sunday. Fair enough, I had to factor possible parking charges for my own vehicle. Not too much of a problem as I was picking up my help from the ferry anyway.

After checking that a van with aperture and volume dimensions was available, to enable furniture to be stacked upright and not to have to dismantle it, I booked it.
30 minutes before the opening time I and my help got to the site to find a queue. A cruise boat was in and lots of people were waiting to hire cars. It was an hour and 15 mins before we got to the van to find the van they had for me was a medium van with nowhere near the dimensions I had specifically requested.
The option was to take what they had or rebook another van some other time.

I took the van and made 3 trips to my anticipated 2 and still did not get all the furniture in. Then took the van back so I could take my help to the ferry.
On being asked how happy I was with my Enterprise experience, I told them. This was when the "American customer service" must have kicked in because the reply was that were I to hire from them again, they would see if they could "do something" in compensation. No specifics.
As a Brit that had previously enjoyed excellent American customer service, during a holiday in Hawaii in 2000, amazing holiday, I can only assume that the Enterprise customer service in this case not up to their usual standards.
Not a big deal and no screwdrivers were involved but irritating. It's good to have a moan now and again.
10-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
U-Haul has various size vans, trucks and trailers available for local moves.
I have rented from several of their locations. They always held what I reserved,
equipment was in good condition, and rates were good with no hidden charges.

Chris
None available Sunday. But my daughter tells me I could have gone to Lowe's or Home Depot and rented a pickup hourly. Walk-in business.
10-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
my daughter tells me I could have gone to Lowe's or Home Depot
Advice after the event is often less than useful

10-14-2016, 08:13 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yes, Enterprise is very loosey-goosey in managing their fleet. We rent from them from time to time (their location is quite convenient) and often face delays in actually getting the car. The only upside is that if there's a problem, our local enterprise will waive the gas charges which saves us the hassle & cost of refilling the tank.

FYI, if Mrs. Monochrome ever bids for some oversized antique again, check the local big-box hardware store for pickup truck rentals. Both Home Depot and Lowes do this.

In the meantime, you deserve a nice big new lens to complement that nice big old bed!