Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2016, 02:33 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just sayin'. Arrrrrghhhhh

mrs. monochrome threw in a lowball bid ($65) on an antique double bed frame at an estate sale yesterday. At 5:30 they called to say she had won the auction. Of course that meant I had to rent a truck to go get it today, but all the rental places were closed at 5:30 and most were also closed Sunday.

So I reserved a truck on line for 11:00am pickup Sunday at a Sunday-Open Enterprise about 15 miles away. At 10:30 they called to say they didn't actually have a truck, even though there was one available online and my reservation was Confirmed.

So they offered me a full-size Minivan. I asked my wife how big the 4-poster bed was, but she hadn't actually measured it, so I reserved a Chrysler minivan with roof rails as Plan B. When we got there they had already rented the minivan even though my reservation for the minivan was also Confirmed. By chance as I was looking at SUV's with roof racks someone dropped off a minivan with roof rails. But they wouldn't rent it to me because it was dirty - like I cared. So I waited while they cleaned it (they said they found 7 assorted flip flops in children's sizes and a pair of women's Small panties under the seats, so I guess I'm glad they cleaned it).

So I got the van, my wife followed me home in my car and I rounded up a couple furniture blankets and - knowing her answer already - asked my wife how the bed comes apart. She looked at me sheepishly and said, "Don't they all come apart the same way?" So I loaded a small toolbox with combination wrenches, an adjustable wrench, a rubber mallet, a socket driver and a box of sockets and grabbed my ratchet set. Then I chased down 2x 100' hanks of paracord and some Ziplok bags.

Of course the bed rails had screwed down bed slats and I hadn't actually thought to bring screwdrivers - but the socket driver set has three sizes of Phillips bits, so that worked, but very slowly. The rails had two dowel pins and a 4" threaded bolt in a routed out channel tied to a countersunk nut in the head and footboard. My ratchet with socket drive actually JUST fit in the channel so I avoided flip flopping wrenches 1/2 turn at a time - that did the trick, we carried the pieces down to the yard - and someone had blocked the loading area. So we waited. And waited. And waited. It was a neighbor who was annoyed by all the traffic and had parked there to be spiteful. Twice.

At any rate, all the pieces fit in the van if angled and inched and utched, so we got the bed home, got the van back to the Enterprise 15 minutes early. And they were already Closed.

3 1/2 hours of beautiful, sunny Sunday planned for K-1 and SMC, not an old bed we don't need. I looked at mrs. monochrome and said, "Never. Ever. Again."

Last edited by monochrome; 09-19-2016 at 07:47 AM.
09-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How about mrs monochrome switches her interest to antique jewelry?
09-18-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
3 1/2 hours of beautiful, sunny Sunday planned for K-1 and SMC, not an old bed we don't need. I looked at mrs. monochrome and said, "Never. Ever. Again."
So how was your day otherwise?
09-18-2016, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So how was your day otherwise?
Well, it's a very nice bed and I managed to retain my composure, so mrs. monochrome is thankful. I think Tangueray & Tonic on the patio is in order.

09-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
How about mrs monochrome switches her interest to antique jewelry?
Then I'd have to rent a Brink's truck.
09-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Tangueray & Tonic on the patio is in order.
For every problem, a solution...
09-18-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not what the title suggested

An amusing but clearly frustrating adventure, but it sounds like all's worked out in the end.

I dropped into this thread because of what I thought it was about: International Talk Like A Pirate Day – Sept. 19, every year since 2002

Right, I'm off to Shiver me Timbers! Arrr!

09-18-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

If you can, why not?
09-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Ahh... Enterprise..

I once confirmed a rental with them when a car was being repaired. They came and picked me up in their van.. no problem.. ride to the rental lot. I see no cars on the lot. none. zero. zilch. nada.

But I'm there.. so I go in.. two fairly well dressed young guys were standing at the desk. I introduce myself and show them my confirmation.. they say unfortunately, all the cars are still out. But.. you just talked to me on the phone and confirmed my car.. sorry we're all out of cars, sir.

soooo... I'm thinking at this point, why would you confirm a rental availability and then, not only that, come and pick me up.. knowing full well there are NO cars to rent to me.

Apparently they overbook on purpose to ensure all their cars are rented (making money) and who cares about the customer. haha

In the end, they rented me the company van they pick up customers with. hahahaha I felt like I should have made a little side money picking people up while I had it.

But, like mono, they wouldn't just give me the keys.. they had to clean it first. I don't care if it has some road rash on it.. I'm not taking it to a car show. Strange company.
09-18-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
If you can, why not?
If I reserved it from Enterprise I'd end up with a Kia Soul.
09-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Ahh... Enterprise..

Apparently they overbook on purpose to ensure all their cars are rented (making money) and who cares about the customer. haha
company.
I used to rent cars 45 years ago. Overbookiing is very common because of the high percentage of no shows in the car rental world. One flight cancellation and you suddenly have idle cars sitting on the lot. Usually it works out fine for all parties. If this wasn't done, then customers would have to pay for the full rental even if their flight was cancelled and they could not make it. Plus, customers are notorious for not showing up because a friend would loan them a car, of they would book a car from different companies to insure that they got one etc.

I used to run a Texaco service station in Buffalo. NY across from the airport. We also had a small branch of an Airways Rent A Car franchise. One of the Hertz girls had a Sumbeam Tiger. Nobody would work on it because it was a "foreign" car. But it was made by Ford and had a lot of common parts with American Fords so we would work on it for her. Because of this she sent called us first when they were overbooked. Amazing how much money you could make off of a tuneup on a Sumbeam Tiger. I would love to have that little roadster today. It was a fun car to drive. Small Ford V8 to power it along.

Added: FWIW, the no show rate for rental cars used to be about 10%. No idea what it is now.

Last edited by gaweidert; 09-19-2016 at 06:41 AM.
09-19-2016, 05:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having shifted my earthly possessions a few times (Thankfully I don't own any four poster beds though) I know the struggles experienced by last minute removals.

Forgetting to bring the right kind of screwdrivers was a blooper though.
09-19-2016, 06:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I use Enterprise often and have had mostly good experiences. They're also my only choice unless I drive almost 50 miles. As for hauling stuff, I always had a pick up until recently. The prices have become outrageous. My solution has been a utility trailer I picked up from Tractor Supply. They aren't too expensive ( $600 and up depending on size ) and it has been a good solution for the occasional hauling needs. As for wives buying things not needed.........I won't go there!
10-08-2016, 07:06 PM   #14
Pentaxian

I looked at mrs. monochrome and said, "Never. Ever. Again."

Famous last words.

I am a bit peeved at Enterprise. A few months back, I was going to rent a small car for 12 days, if I recall correctly, so my dad and I could go to Arizona. The price of the rental was going to be a little over $400. I was like, That's not bad, so I set it up. I got to looking at the fine print, and something just stood out. I don't remember what it was, but something was bothering me. I drove over to the Enterprise location and talked to them about my concerns.

In the end, I canceled the rental because I don't have full coverage auto insurance on my truck and getting insurance through Enterprise was going to run around $1000 making the total around $1500.

I don't think I will ever try to rent a car again.
10-13-2016, 08:31 PM   #15

"Never. Ever. Again."
Until the next time.