Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
What is with this golf malarky ???
So far as I'm concerned all golf course's should be allowed to go wild and become nature preserves.

11-28-2016, 09:17 AM   #47
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Think Mark Twain said it best. Something to the tune of.... golf is a good walk...spoiled. I agree, but then I'm not a golfer. I do applaud golf for one reason and that reason is that golf courses have provided us with beautiful sites...I guess as long as the golf course is a public one and only if a public road runs through the course. A lot of ifs, but ....

they may be public but what would be the reception if you just try to wander the course to take pictures?

never tried it but I can't imagine that the golfers would be very pleased with the interruptions caused by your presence on the course.

never played golf and have no interest in it.

should have one rule change - unless you cannot because of recognized health concerns, all golfers should walk and either carry or use the pull carts, no motorized carts, gas or electric allowed.
11-28-2016, 10:13 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
should have one rule change - unless you cannot because of recognized health concerns, all golfers should walk and either carry or use the pull carts, no motorized carts, gas or electric allowed.
They have to walk on the PGA, but they do have caddys to carry their bags. The caddys for the top golfers do get paid very well - they do more than just carry clubs around the course.

I wouldn't see much point in putting restrictions on amateurs out to have a good time on the weekend.
11-28-2016, 10:29 AM   #49
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
They have to walk on the PGA, but they do have caddys to carry their bags. The caddys for the top golfers do get paid very well - they do more than just carry clubs around the course.

I wouldn't see much point in putting restrictions on amateurs out to have a good time on the weekend.

By banning carts unless medically necessary, you would increase the exercise value of playing 9/18 holes and decrease emissions

I know it would never happen

11-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #50
Veteran Member

By banning carts unless medically necessary, you would increase the exercise value of playing 9/18 holes and decrease emissions

I know it would never happen
While we're at it, let's ban cars for trips less than 5km.
11-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #51
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

While we're at it, let's ban cars for trips less than 5km.
Is a round of 18 holes equivalent to 5 km?

Again, I don't play the sport but I am amazed at the people I know who do and who say they are doing it for "exercise" and use motorized carts without any medical need for the cart
11-28-2016, 11:04 AM   #52
Veteran Member

To throw in a baseball metaphor, it's in the ballbark. It's also a change that would increase peoples health, lower emissions, and in no way impact the person proposing it.

Again, I don't play the sport but I am amazed at the people I know who do and who say they are doing it for "exercise" and use motorized carts without any medical need for the cart
Then those people are probably deluding themselves. Not everyone plays golf with exercise as their goal. I haven't played in several years, but when I did it was was entirely for fun. I did walk and carry my own bag, but it was not in any way for exercise - I definitely don't need any exercise of the walking long distances sort. If I wasn't also cheap, I would have rented an electric cart.

11-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #53
Pentaxian

they may be public but what would be the reception if you just try to wander the course to take pictures?

never tried it but I can't imagine that the golfers would be very pleased with the interruptions caused by your presence on the course.

with a camera, some just out to enjoy the outdoors. Again they're public and snowbound with our heavy, long winters....

RThat's why I said and I quote "I guess as long as the golf course is a public one and only if a public road runs through the course. A lot of ifs, but ...."

We have a couple of public golf courses that have a public road that runs through them...in the summer...I take a telephoto lens and photograph from the road...it's not a heavily traveled road....in the winter...people snowshoe and cross country ski across the snow bound golf courses...some ead more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/330601-what-golf-malarky-...#ixzz4RKRw8PQu

never played golf and have no interest in it.

I agree, walking is a good idea, if you can manage.
11-28-2016, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing I like best about golf is how easily it makes me fall asleep if I put it on TV when I need an afternoon nap because I was up to shoot sunrise.

Last edited by mattb123; 11-28-2016 at 11:51 AM.
11-28-2016, 11:32 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I agree, walking is a good idea, if you can manage.
For sure, but I wouldn't impose it on anyone

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
The thing I like best about golf is how easily it makes me fall asleep if I put it on TV when I need an afternoon nap because I was out to shoot sunrise.
I use football for that, the North American kind. CFL or NFL both put me down in under 3 downs.
11-28-2016, 11:40 AM - 1 Like   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For sure, but I wouldn't impose it on anyone

I use football for that, the North American kind. CFL or NFL both put me down in under 3 downs.
Too much yelling and whistles in football! Golf has the soothing white noise of polite clapping.
11-28-2016, 01:23 PM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

The major golf tournaments on TV would be far more interesting if they played on southern US courses that were overly infested with alligators around the water hazards and rattlesnakes in the rough. I'm not putting the game down and I can appreciate the skill and stamina needed to be consistently good. It's just that as a TV spectator sport, it's as exciting as watching paint dry. Hungry and agitated wildlife could add a little excitement.
11-28-2016, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speed Golf might be more fun to watch or play!
11-28-2016, 03:48 PM - 1 Like   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
With the passing of the great Arnold Palmer ( R.I.P. Mr. Palmer ), it got me thinking about what a weird game ( sport, pastime, frustration !!! ) golf really is. Can anyone tell me of another game where the " LOWEST " score wins? I've been racking my little brain to no avail.
Oh...so its the LOWEST score that wins....bugger.
11-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #60
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico

Depends on the course.