Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bunch of non-Canadians win AL wild card playoff game in 11 innings.

Yeah, I know baseball is America's game, but it's really a game for Latin Americans, Black Americans and a Canadian team where players and fans don't know how they are supposed to behave. The Toronto Blue Jays just beat the Baltimore Orioles in a single, winner takes all, wildcard playoff game in 11 innings because of a home run by Edwin Encarnacion from the Dominican Republic, a country so poor that only the nearby wasteland of Haiti keeps it from being the ashtray of the global village.

I just left a bar and grill in the city of Swift Current, Saskatchewan, population 20,000; so I didn't have to sit in my hotel room and watch the game by myself, and I'm remembering when Joe Carter hit a home run in the sixth game of the 1992 World Series and I'm remembering skipping classes to watch Steve Rogers of the Montreal Expos give up a home run in the ninth inning of the fifth game of the 1981 National Series Championship to the LA Dodgers with two out and a count of 3-1, and bawling my eyes out into my beer. It's isn't hockey, and it's not Canada vs. Russia in 1972, but the bottom line is that this is an incredibly awesome country that is surprisingly difficult to live in and we have a narrow window to gloat and shout na, na, na to the rest of the world. I think it was in the 6th inning tonight when a fan threw an extremely well aimed plastic cup of beer in the path of a pop fly from a Blue Jays player. The Orioles outfielder still caught the ball to end the inning, but two of the Oriole outfielders decided to have a debate with the crowd. Last year in the AL division championship, Jose Bautista, another Dominican player on the Blue Jays, did a bat flip after hitting a home run against the Texas Rangers, in what the N.Y. Times described as the "the most ostentatious bat flip in M.L.B. history" I don't expect the 2016 Blue Jays to get very far, their bull pen isn't very good and their hitters have been too cold for too long, but we live and die by our sports teams here in the Great White North, and even though the Blue Jays are owned by the devil's own cellular phone company, they are exactly the enema the formaldehyde and Denny's crowd that supports Major League Baseball needs.

Have a good night, I'll be sleeping well tonight, and God bless Pentax Forums!

10-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OMG! Rick Monday. Rick Monday. Game Five. The name will live in infamy. (Or was that Pearl Harbor?)