Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Okay, back to the drawing board for batteries.

I recall in the past my stirring up a hornet's nest in regards to batteries and the ensuing problems I have with them. I inserted two AA batteries, I will not mention the name of the manufacturer, but the first letter in the name Is: DURACELL, into the television remote control approximately three months ago. Suddenly, the remote would not turn on the television, and thought this cannot be happening. I opened the battery chamber door and much to my horror, they had both leaked, and had corrosion all over the terminals. I went ahead and removed them, (which were supposed to be good until 2023) cleaned the terminals and inserted new batteries. I have a blood pressure monitor which runs on AAA batteries from DURACELL, and they were also corroded and leaked. Needless to say, I sent a scathing email to DURACELL, venting my frustration at them for producing junk. Fortunately I do not use DURACELL in any of my cameras, and did remove the DURACELL batteries from my Nikon SB-24 Speedlight. I will perhaps go with Eneloops Rechargeable or Energizer AA Lithium batteries, guaranteed not to leak. (UNLIKE DURACELL)

I trust this will bring some ray of sunshine into your lives. )

Rgds,

Tony

10-21-2016, 07:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. That is quite unusual. Sorry that happened. I buy a lot of all brands (sale price wins) and they all have worked but that is disturbing.
10-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That stinks! There have been several reports of counterfiet batteries over the years, including duracells, and including ones purchased from big chain stores, so I'll be interested to hear what their response is.

Over the years, as I've purchased new eneloops for camera equipment (which always comes first) I've shifted my older sets of eneloops down the electronics chain. Most of my battery powered devices now run on eneloops, remotes, clocks, wireless mice, etc, and it's pretty great. Even well worn 10 year old eneloops work well in these low drain devices. Eneloops are just in another world compared to the rechargeable batteries I remember from the 80's.
10-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another vote or Eneloops here. I use them for off-camera flash and never had an issue with leakage yet (knock on wood).

10-21-2016, 08:34 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
That stinks! There have been several reports of counterfiet batteries over the years, including duracells, and including ones purchased from big chain stores, so I'll be interested to hear what their response is.

Over the years, as I've purchased new eneloops for camera equipment (which always comes first) I've shifted my older sets of eneloops down the electronics chain. Most of my battery powered devices now run on eneloops, remotes, clocks, wireless mice, etc, and it's pretty great. Even well worn 10 year old eneloops work well in these low drain devices. Eneloops are just in another world compared to the rechargeable batteries I remember from the 80's.
I have heard of counterfeit batteries, however my wife purchased these Duracells directly from Costco. I mean she was in the Costco store instead of buying them online from Costco. I am glad that you mentioned Eneloops as they seem to have a higher mAh number, 2550 which my Pentax k100d Super requires 2,500mAh. As much as I like the k100d Super I have to admit it does consume batteries at an inordinate rate. This camera requires a lot of juice just to power up. For example I had inserted four brand new AA Duracell Coppertop batteries into the camera just to practice with the instruction manual. Before I knew it, I was getting the Battery Depleted warning in the LCD. I shut it off and waited a few minutes, and it would not power up. Here is the interesting part. I then removed the batteries and inserted them into my Nikon SB-24 Speedlight and experienced no problems at all. Worked like a charm everytime and I still use them today in the Speedlight. A good way to save some money.

Rgds,

Tony
10-21-2016, 08:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AA Alkaline batteries are garbage in most if not all dslr's. Emergency use only. Any NiMH Will work. Enloops have good reputation for low self discharge.
10-22-2016, 12:38 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I use only Energizers and Kirkland (Costco) AA alkaline and haven't had any issues.

Last edited by lesmore49; 10-22-2016 at 12:53 AM.
10-22-2016, 01:21 AM   #8

I stopped using Kirkland AA cells. They had a tendency to burst and leak - I could literally hear a loud pop when they burst. The install by date on the few I have sitting a bin to be disposed/recycled properly is May 2013. Perhaps they've improved since this batch. I had to replace the bodies on a few Mag-Lites because the burst batteries couldn't be removed.

I've had Duracells leak but never burst on me. I just recycled some Duracells that were probably at least 15 years old - still some juice in them but not enough to operate anything but no leaks.

Costco has a $4 off coupon on the eight AA - four AAA Eneloop set with charger. I haven't checked the charger in this set but the last time I did right after they switched to using the Panasonic name the charger would do single cells. The Sanyo chargers (except the early models) would only charge in pairs which is not good as the cells will charge unevenly when in series. Not as good as an expensive "smart" charger but still better than the paired cell chargers.

The coupon is good through 10/23 (Sunday).
10-22-2016, 01:45 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I too have noticed leakage from Duracells, particularly in low drain/long life situations. I think it's time to maybe start avoiding the brand - which I had previously regarded quite highly for general purposes.
10-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used Duracell batteries, AA, AAA, C, & D for many years, and "knock on wood", never had a problem.

I've considered going to Eneloops, and may, when my supply of Duracell's gets low; as I keep a large supply of batteries, living out in the boonies. Rechargable would be handy.
10-22-2016, 07:33 AM   #11

I tried the Kirkland (Costco house brand) because the price difference between Duracells was substantial. But the money I paid for replacement parts for my MagLites far exceeded what I saved. In my experience, Duracells will leak, but rarely and only after they have been depleted for some time. Regularly checking the condition of the batteries always helps, not that we remember
10-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
I have a blood pressure monitor which runs on AAA batteries from DURACELL, and they were also corroded and leaked
just when you need it most, too
10-22-2016, 02:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

For your flash, how about a Godox PB980 with 2-into-1 power cable? I use this for my Metz AF-1 64. Works great.

+1 for Eneloops.
10-22-2016, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nicolpa47 Quote
I too have noticed leakage from Duracells, particularly in low drain/long life situations. I think it's time to maybe start avoiding the brand - which I had previously regarded quite highly for general purposes.
Same problem here. I don't use them anymore.