Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2016, 06:20 PM   #16
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
As I mentioned, I'm looking for suggestions for a new printer. I looked at how to reset the cartridges on the link, and it doesn't match mine. I'm not going to try to work on this one anymore.

I do really appreciate your suggestions and links; that great information to keep tucked away!

Last edited by csa; 10-26-2016 at 06:30 PM.
10-27-2016, 02:35 AM   #17
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I little over a year ago, I purchased a Canon Pixma MG7520 - I print 3x5, 4x6 mostly, but a few 8x10 on it and have been very happy with the quality - I also use it as just a regular document printer. The ink cartridges seem to last longer than my previous printer, are reasonably priced, and I have used non-OEM cartridges in it with no problems...

I know that this printer has been replaced since I bought it....

here is the replacement printer at B&H:

Canon PIXMA MG7720 Wireless All-in-One Inkjet Printer 0596C002AA
10-27-2016, 02:50 AM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Carol - as I mentioned in my first reply, I'm interested in a new printer too. I've never been particularly happy with the HP 6520 I own - not least because I don't like being forced to use HP-branded and chipped ink cartridges.

Recently I've been considering one of Epson's EcoTank models, as they simply require refilling with ink when they run low - no new cartridges to buy. I guess the potential problem then is that without frequent use, the "print head(s)" may require further cleaning, but I'm still interested. The printers are priced a little higher, starting at around $300 - which, I'm sure, is because the manufacturer knows they are unlikely to make as much profit on ink sales. That said, the cost per page is significantly reduced, so if you intend to do a reasonable amount of printing, the savings will, in time, offset the initial purchases costs.

I have no experience with the Epson EcoTank models, and I don't know what the print quality is like from the lower-end models, but the concept is certainly appealing...
10-27-2016, 06:42 AM   #19
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Pepperberry! The ink cartridges are on par with what I was paying for the Epson. I'll seriously consider this printer. Thanks also for the link.

10-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #20
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mike, I hadn't heard about the Eco-Tank units; I'll do some checking on them, sounds interesting!

Edit: this does look interesting!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1178405-REG/epson_c11ce92201_expressi...ll_in_one.html

Last edited by csa; 10-27-2016 at 06:59 AM.
11-11-2016, 09:13 PM   #21

I'm currently using an epson L805. Its a CISS model and the ink is much cheaper than my previous epson printer with disposable cartridges. It comes with 6 individual inks. Very good for color prints but leaves a slight color cast with black and whites. I let the printer manage the colors (no ICC profiles) and it prints very close to the one i see in my monitor (imac, not color corrected). Much better than the results im getting from my local photo labs. The ink is already tested by wilhelm imaging research, and will last for more than 15 years before it starts fading if displayed unprotected. This is much much better than unbranded refills, and the main reason i went with epson. The high end pigment printers from canon/ epson will last 100 years in comparison. Im pretty much satisfied with the printer. I print in batches maybe once in 3-4 weeks for the past 6 months and surprisingly clogging has only been a minor issue. Highly recommended for the budget conscious hobbyist.
11-12-2016, 07:50 AM   #22
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for that information. That really looks like a great printer, unfortunately it's out of my price range for what little printing I do.

This type of printer sure looks like the way of the future for printers!

11-13-2016, 03:30 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Years ago I tried printing photos from my PC with a highly-rated Epson photo printer.
Used sporadically the nozzles would clog between uses. Repeated cleaning cycles were required.
It seemed I used as much expensive ink cleaning as I used actually printing photos.

Now I use a laser printer exclusively for monochrome text printing and simple graphics.
It works immediately when needed and per page printed laser toner costs a small fraction of inkjet cartridges.

I print photos the time tested way now, from film negatives on photographic paper in a wet darkroom.

Chris
11-13-2016, 05:33 AM   #24
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

@csa - Carol, did you get any further in your research?
11-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
@csa - Carol, did you get any further in your research?
Mike, a fellow member turned me on to this one:

Epson Expression ET-2500 EcoTank Color Inkjet Wireless All-In-One Printer | StaplesŪ

I think I'll give this one a try. Same type as AtitG mentioned, but more in what I can afford. I can't get one for another month or so, but will post how I like it after some usage! BTW, B&H also has this one on their site.
11-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #26
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I print photos the time tested way now, from film negatives on photographic paper in a wet darkroom.
Those days are long gone for me, since I moved to the mountains. I really don't miss my color darkroom, as what may take me hours to perfect a print, I now can do it in minutes on the computer, without the mixing, etc., of the chemicals.
11-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Carol,

If you haven't decided yet, I'll throw in a suggestion as well...

I've been using the Canon MG7520 for a little over a year, and had another Canon model prior to that.

The MG7520 has two cassettes for paper, an upper for 4x6 or 5x7 paper, and a lower for sizes up to 8-1/2 x 14.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MOSGIZC/ref=twister_B00MY9Z41A?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

The ink is the best part under $10 for all the cartridges. Thus link is the ink I buy, I've also bought the

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPQK53O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I print on matte paper 8-1/2 x 11, which drinks the ink, and 4x6 glossy. The print quality is better than I got from the local shops, so I'm happy.
11-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's well worth while getting canny with resetting, refilling, rechipping etc., and of course where the cheapest 3rd party carts are.... With all these ink jets it's the cost of the ink carts that is definitive, the OEM carts are WAY overpriced, and all of them chuck away large quantities of ink in their start up and cleaning cycles. The Which reports (UK), for example, are telling: some models of printer were using more than 300% more ink when used occasionally, switching on and off, vs continuous use.
I just recently got a new canon printer, the old one started spitting out error messages and although I tried following online advice to clean the print head I wasn't able to fix it. Pity, because that Canon MG5350 uses the cheapest 3rd party carts on ebay. I was getting lots of 15 or 20 525/526 carts (5 colours x 3 or 4) for ~ $10 equiv. The new printer - also a pixma, model MG6850, has slightly different carts (570/571 edit = 270/271 in USA), they don't last any longer and the best I can do is a set of 5 carts from China for ~$10. More typical price for 3rd party carts is $20/set. I am going to have to go back to refilling like I did with the old HP inkjet.

Last edited by marcusBMG; 11-13-2016 at 10:52 AM.
11-13-2016, 10:01 AM   #29
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
David, thanks for the link; I think after many cartridge printers; I'll still try the type I linked to.

One question; have you ever had any problems with the "after market" cartridges? They certainly are priced attractively!
11-13-2016, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
David, thanks for the link; I think after many cartridge printers; I'll still try the type I linked to.

One question; have you ever had any problems with the "after market" cartridges? They certainly are priced attractively!
Not yet (knock on wood), but at $6.27 for the set of six, I wouldn't feel bad if one failed to work once in awhile.

Last edited by Riggomatic; 11-13-2016 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling