Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Keyboards

I'm getting a new keyboard, and now I see some listed as "mechanical feel". What the heck is that?

10-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
"mechanical feel". What the heck is that?
You can 'feel' the key clicks. My preference over the 'soft-touch' type.
10-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks! That's what I like also; must be what I have now. All the paint's worn off some of the keys on mine, had it for about 10 years, & I want to get one with blue "lighted" keys. My current one has the red lights, and I think the blue would be easier on my eyes at night. No, I really don't need a "lighted" keyboard, as I'm very proficient at typing; but just like them! This will be a Christmas present; to me, from me!
10-29-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Pentaxian

There are some really nice mechanical keyboards out there and many have lighted keys. Check out Toms Hardware for reviews (and other sites) and then prices at Newegg. They aren't cheap though.
Keyboards - News and Reviews - Best Keyboards Tested

10-29-2016, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a lit keyboard and really like it, mostly because I have a large corner desk and the room light is above and behind me so I am always casting a shadow over the keyboard drawer. It's a Logitech G110 gaming keyboard and while it doesn't have true mechanical keys it does have a nice feel and has lasted well. I am a gamer and it has really stood up well to the abuse especially on the big four gaming keys (W, A, S and D).

As reeftool has said mechanical/gaming keyboards are not cheap but do tend to last better than cheap ones.
10-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't need a gaming keyboard. The lighted keyboards I'm looking at are around $30.
10-30-2016, 09:43 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm going to get really jazzy, and get a multi-colored keyboard!

I really like this one, but it appears the wrist support does not detach. That would put the keyboard too far up in my keyboard tray, that is attached under the desk.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DD2SMKQ?psc=1

More considerations:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MULE6KW?psc=1#Ask

https://www.amazon.com/Rainbow-Keyboard-BlueFinger%C2%AE-Adjustable-Customiz...light+keyboard

Last edited by csa; 10-30-2016 at 10:11 AM.
10-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'm getting a new keyboard, and now I see some listed as "mechanical feel"
It means it's got both white notes and black notes on it.
10-30-2016, 06:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't need a gaming keyboard. The lighted keyboards I'm looking at are around $30.
Those gaming keyboards can also be really nice for typing. While I usually prefer shallow, laptop style keyboards, the mechanical gaming ones that click are really nice too. They'd annoy the hell of anyone around, but the way they feel? Yup. Sign me up. Think original IBM PC... that kind of keyboard, beloved by programmers all around the world.

I wouldn't bother with those keyboards linked to. It's either Microsoft, Logitech or Cherry for regular keyboards (rubber dome), they usually do good ones. If possible one of those Microsoft ergonomic ones, I hear they have a model now that has laptop style keys AND a curved layout. Nice! (The curved layout reduces wrist strain.) Or a proper mechanical gaming keyboard. Preferably the loud ones, though perhaps if I had one hooked up to a PC and could see the point where the press is registered, I'd be fine with the quiet ones too. The beauty of these keyboards is that you don't have to bottom out for the press to register. That should be rather neat. (The loud ones click audibly when that point is reached).

Currently my keyboard. I'm quite happy with it, though the Apple Keyboard I have at work is better.

I also have a Cherry SX compact.

The keyboard part is good, it is compact and light weight (easy to carry around), connects via Bluetooth, and the typing feel and spacing between the keys is just right, considering how small it is. Unfortunately the Bluetooth part is quite terrible. It lags sometimes, and I mean serious lag, and sometimes it keeps sending the same letter forever.

The next one I'll buy might be the Logitech K480, but that's for tablet use. The beautiful thing about that one is that you can change between devices. It can pair with 3 devices, and there's a dial at the side that lets you change the device. Also there is something you can put in your smartphone/tablet, so it doubles as a stand. So you can control the PC/laptop/HTPC, the smartphone and the tablet through one keyboard. How convenient is that?

Last edited by kadajawi; 10-30-2016 at 06:40 PM.
10-30-2016, 06:43 PM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
AND a curved layout.
I cannot use the curved layout; too large for my keyboard tray. I really don't want a "regular" keyboard, I want a multi-colored one; as my desk is in a dark corner; and most of the time I prefer to work without the lamp on. Why do you not recommend either I linked to? Just curious.

This is my current one: https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-PZ30AU-Eclipse-Keyboard/dp/B0007TJ7TE

It's simply getting wore out after about 8-10 years of usage.
10-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I cannot use the curved layout; too large for my keyboard tray. I really don't want a "regular" keyboard, I want a multi-colored one; as my desk is in a dark corner; and most of the time I prefer to work without the lamp on. Why do you not recommend either I linked to? Just curious.

This is my current one: https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-PZ30AU-Eclipse-Keyboard/dp/B0007TJ7TE

It's simply getting wore out after about 8-10 years of usage.
The brands. Haven't heard of any of them (granted, I'm in Europe, so there are probably brands I'm not familiar with). I'd be looking for one that feels good to type on, and that is usually one of the ones I mentioned. Can't really go wrong with them. With other brands it is more hit or miss. If you get the chance to try them in a shop, great. There are lit keyboards from the bigger brands, though they tend to be less... rainbow-y.

This one should easily fit anywhere, but no lights.

Razer does some nice mechanical keyboards, backlit too, but the price tag is rather steep. The switches they use are found in other keyboards too, though (usually Cherry switches), but all of them won't come cheap (though cheaper than the Razer).

It's really a matter of trying the keyboards in person, as everyone has different preferences.
10-30-2016, 07:32 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Living where I am, it's an impossibility of trying them before buying. At the prices of the ones I linked to, I don't see where I can go wrong. If I don't like the one I choose; I'll keep using the Saitek. I definitely do not want one that is not illuminated. Also, I don't need bluetooth, etc., this is for my desktop computer, only.
10-31-2016, 05:16 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Living where I am, it's an impossibility of trying them before buying. At the prices of the ones I linked to, I don't see where I can go wrong. If I don't like the one I choose; I'll keep using the Saitek. I definitely do not want one that is not illuminated. Also, I don't need bluetooth, etc., this is for my desktop computer, only.
Hm. You could send it back? I am quite... picky when it comes to keyboards, and there are many different styles.

You may not enjoy the way you type on the keyboard, or you may have to press hard and bottom out for the press to register, etc. Of course that also depends on if you are a touch typist or not, how fast you type, ...

The bigger brands also have illuminated keyboards, but they tend to have a single color only.

You could go for the Logitech G105, which is similar to the ones you linked to, but being Logitech I simply trust them more. The price shouldn't be too high for those. There is also the K740, which looks less like a gamer keyboard, is more subtle, and has shorter key presses, similar to older notebooks (not the Chiclet style that Apple popularized).
10-31-2016, 05:48 AM   #14
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I just recently purchased a Das Keyboard '4C Professional' with Greetech brown keyswitches....

Das Keyboard 4C Professional Mechanical Keyboard

I got tired of replacing keyboards every couple of years because the keys would lose their 'bounce' or just simply quit working... I see that das is having a limited sale on their Model S for $99, which is a deal....

Halloween Deals - Das Keyboard

and I can tell you, if you hate squishy keys, like on a laptop's keyboard, and want something with feel, you'll like this....
10-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #15
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Pepper, doesn't look like these are illuminated; which is what I want.