Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Question for eBay sellers

I have my first auction going at ebay. It will be my first sale if someone bids on it. My question is, do I need link my bank account in order to receive payments through PayPal? When I last sold an item in the marketplace I was asked to send a PP invoice, which I did. The buyer paid but I had to confirm the payment and the only way was to link my PP with my bank account or apply for PP credit, neither of which I want to do. Can I ask the winner to pay for the item through my PP address or do I need to send an invoice?

10-30-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is how I use PayPal. I opened up a separate bank account just for PayPal, that is not linked to my main bank accounts. PayPal does require a bank account number.

Sorry I can't answer as to how you will receive payment thru EBay/PayPal; but I assume you will again have to provide a bank acct#, unless it's still on file with PayPal. BTW customers do not see this information. If your banking info is on file with PP; then the buyer simply sends the funds to your account (e-mail address) of PP.
10-30-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
This is how I use PayPal. I opened up a separate bank account just for PayPal, that is not linked to my main bank accounts. PayPal does require a bank account number.

Sorry I can't answer as to how you will receive payment thru EBay/PayPal; but I assume you will again have to provide a bank acct#, unless it's still on file with PayPal. BTW customers do not see this information. If your banking info is on file with PP; then the buyer simply sends the funds to your account (e-mail address) of PP.
I've read about PP taking money out of bank accounts without notifying the account holder. That's why I don't want PP connected with any of my bank accounts. I'd rather have PP connected with my CC only.
10-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's entirely up to you. I've been with PP for several years, and I've yet had them take any money out of my account that I did not authorize. I've always received notification when funds are taken, to verify my purchase. I only keep a minimum amount in that account, as when I want something, I simply transfer the funds needed to cover the purchase.

10-30-2016, 05:41 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use PayPal a lot, have had account with them for many years and never had the take funds out of my bank account without my permission. As Carol said, PayPal sends an email to me to let me know funds are taken out and if I agree with their doing so, so far no problems.
10-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use PP a lot too for payments at different sites, including purchasing items here and on eBay. For the few items I sold on here I just gave the buyer my PP email address without sending a PP invoice, no problem in receiving the payments. The last time I sent an invoice to a buyer, PP wanted me to verify my account by adding a bank account or applying for PP Credit before the payment went into my PP account. I just want to know if I have to link my PP to a bank account to receive payments for items sold on eBay.
10-30-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RollsUp Quote
I just want to know if I have to link my PP to a bank account to receive payments for items sold on eBay.
I would think you do how else will you get your money?

You can call and ask them: 1-888-221-1161

Last edited by photolady95; 10-30-2016 at 08:28 PM.
11-01-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's worth double checking whether all of PP and eBay's buyer/seller protections are in effect when you don't use an invoice.
11-01-2016, 08:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I would think you do how else will you get your money?

You can call and ask them: 1-888-221-1161

You can actually request that PayPal send you a paper check, but they charge a fee...
11-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update - I didn't need to send an invoice to the buyer afterall, eBay took care of it. I did link my PP with eBay though but, the funds are on hold until the item is delivered to the buyer. So, no need to link PP with a bank account in order to sell on ebay. Nice.